Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1025
Armin | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 15 2020 9:42 AM

I experienced some unusual things when looking at commentaries in the passage guide.

The above screenshot shows on the left the commentary NDSB (together with many other commentaries) under the section "Commentaries" using my collection "Commentaries (Textual)". However, on the right, the commentary is not included in the collection "Commentaries (Textual)", which is correct.  

If I don't sort the commentaries by "Era" but by "Priority", I have only one commentary listed:

It looks to me that depending on the sorting criteria, the collection rules get overlooked.

Posts 26231
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2020 3:40 PM

You have that and other commentaries that don't belong to the Modern era!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1025
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 15 2020 5:21 PM

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your reply. Sorry that I am a bit slow but I am still not clear. I specified a collection from Mark Barnes'(called Commentaries (Textual)) in the commentary section of the Passage Guide. I therefore expected that the passage guide only displays commentaries that are in the collection "Commentaries (Textual)". I assumed that Priority, Series, Author,... are just different ways of sorting and filtering my commentaries. So under the Modern Era, I expected those commentaries to be listed that are in the collection "Commentaries (Textual)" AND from the Modern Era. Otherwise, what is the use of using collections in the Commentary section of the Passage Guide?

Posts 26231
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2020 5:07 PM

Armin:
So under the Modern Era, I expected those commentaries to be listed that are in the collection "Commentaries (Textual)" AND from the Modern Era.

I wasn't disputing that expectation, but stating that several of them have a publication date (following the Title) beyond that of the Modern era  i.e. greater than 1959. NDSB is one of them (2003), but Lange and JFB are Modern when you look at the date of original publication.

However, I think you meant to say (or I misunderstood) that most/all of those commentaries are not in that Collection. When I use the same collection (imported from Docs > Public), it has only 2 commentaries + NET Bible First Edition Notes. And Passage Guide shows all of them.

If you try a different passage, do you get the same results?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1025
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2020 10:34 PM

It gets more interesting. I just re-ran the passage guide on the same reference and get a completely different result. This time, there is no commentary listed at all:

Posts 1025
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2020 10:37 PM

If I run the passage guide with the entire chapter 1Thess 3 as reference, I now get one commentary. However, this commentary is not from the modern era:

Looks like something is not quite yet working here.

Posts 26231
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 18 2020 12:29 AM

I agree that the Comfort volume should be Contemporary, but it shouldn't be there as it is not a Textual commentary.

You need to show what's under Contemporary so we get a better picture (the NET Bible Notes should be there), and also show a screen shot of the Textual collection rule.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1025
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 12:22 AM

Dave Hooton:

You need to show what's under Contemporary so we get a better picture (the NET Bible Notes should be there), and also show a screen shot of the Textual collection rule.

Somehow, things changed a bit, even without me changing the collection rules. Here is a screenshot of the current situation:

And here is my collection rule:

Posts 3279
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 1:50 PM

Armin:

Dave Hooton:

Somehow, things changed a bit, even without me changing the collection rules. Here is a screenshot of the current situation:

Armin,

Can you please see what tagging you have for the commentary by Comfort? I'm wondering if it's been tagged unintentionally.

Posts 3279
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 2:00 PM

Armin,

I've asked the team that does tagging for resources to take a look. I suspect this is some type of metadata issue. Not everyone is in the office so this might not get resolved right away.

Posts 3279
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 2:15 PM

Armin:

Dave Hooton:

Armin,

We think it might be a different issue than I thought. Could you include your logs.

Posts 1025
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 10:09 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

Can you please see what tagging you have for the commentary by Comfort? I'm wondering if it's been tagged unintentionally.

The commentary by Comfort has the tag "MB_Commentaries_Textual". However, this tag is not used in the collection rule used in the passage guide.

Posts 1025
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 21 2020 10:16 PM

Philana R. Crouch:

We think it might be a different issue than I thought. Could you include your logs.

Logs and samples are here:

3652.LogosLogs.eberlein.20201222-101215.zip 

5875.LogosLogs.eberlein.20201222-101230.zip

Posts 3279
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2020 9:30 AM

Armin:

Philana R. Crouch:

The commentary by Comfort has the tag "MB_Commentaries_Textual". However, this tag is not used in the collection rule used in the passage guide.

Armin,

I believe it is included in the collection. It directly in quotes and does appear in the list. It is the first title listed in the section of the rule listed below.

(title:("New Testament Text and Translation Commentary", "The Lexham Textual Notes on the Bible", "A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament", "A Textual Guide to the Greek New Testament","The NET Bible First Edition Notes")

It should appear in the Contemporary section when it does have results and I've let the team that handles tagging know. I also created a case for when the section appears and is empty.

Posts 1025
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2020 9:54 AM

Hi Philana,

Yes, you are correct. 

It looks like some things got fixed. For instance, the commentary by Comfort from 2008 is not listed anymore under "Modern (1700-1959)" when running the Passage Guide on 1 Thess 3:3. This happened previously (see earlier screenshot).

However, when I run the PG on 1 Thess 3:2, the Comfort Commentary appears again under "Modern (1700-1959)", even though I would expect it under Contemporary (1960-present).

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS