4.1: Some feedback on printing

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 13403
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 14 2010 2:07 AM | Locked

Thanks so much for an excellent printing UI. It's way better than L3, and even better than L2 which is what I had hoped for. But here's the negative points:

• The preview time is too long for large documents. If we're on pg 1, we don't need to wait for previews to be generated for all 20 pages - just show us pg 1.
  • The units of measurement should use Windows defaults, not just inches.
  • The default paper size should use the printer defaults.
  • Long printer names cause the drop-down arrow to disappear.
  • We should be able to control the font scaling from the print preview screen. A drop down with percentages would do. A 'fit to x pages' would be awesome!
  • Your margin preferences should be remembered.
  • It would be very helpful to be able to turn visual filters on/off from the print preview screen. I'll often not want volume/page numbers printed, for example.
  • It would be great to have an export to PDF, as well as XPF.
  • The currently selected reverse interlinear word is highlighted when you print. I don't think it should be.
  • We need control of whether footnotes and citations print. Ideally, this should be two tickboxes on the preview screen.
  • It ought to be possible to open the print/export window from the command bar, and therefore from a shortcut icon.
Posts 18911
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 2:29 AM | Locked

Mark Barnes:
  • It ought to be possible to open the print/export window from the command bar, and therefore from a shortcut icon.

I've got it on my Shortcut bar:

I just docked the tab, and then dragged it to my shortcut bar. But I do agree it should be accessible from the command bar (and also from COM API, but that's another story since lots of command bar things are not yet accessible from COM API).

Posts 3253
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 2:41 AM | Locked

Thank you for the print option- but- we still need a more control over our note formatting Big Smile

Posts 13403
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 2:52 AM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
I just docked the tab, and then dragged it to my shortcut bar.

Yes, but then it either opens as a new tab, not a new window; or it opens in a new window but gives an error message.

Posts 18911
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 2:56 AM | Locked

Mark Barnes:

Rosie Perera:
I just docked the tab, and then dragged it to my shortcut bar.

Yes, but then it either opens as a new tab, not a new window; or it opens in a new window but gives an error message.

Oh, I see. I hadn't actually tried clicking on it. I use Ctrl+P all the time.

It should detect what tab had the focus before you clicked on the Print/Export icon, and apply the print/export command to it.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:17 AM | Locked

Mark Barnes:
It would be great to have an export to PDF, as well as XPF.

In the interest of saving time to implement other features (since we are seeing there are some "1.0" features going into 4.1), I might suggest that there are quite a few PDF print drivers you can install on your computer, so all you have to do is "Print" and choose that printer, and voila - you have a PDF. They really work very well. That way, the time to implement PDF capability could be used to add other features in!!

I do not use XPF, but I think I Have seen the same type of driver support for it (I stand corrected if I am hallucinating though!)

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 6:36 AM | Locked

Mark Barnes:

Thanks so much for an excellent printing UI. It's way better than L3, and even better than L2 which is what I had hoped for. But here's the negative points:

• The preview time is too long for large documents. If we're on pg 1, we don't need to wait for previews to be generated for all 20 pages - just show us pg 1.
  • The units of measurement should use Windows defaults, not just inches.
  • The default paper size should use the printer defaults.
  • Long printer names cause the drop-down arrow to disappear.
  • We should be able to control the font scaling from the print preview screen. A drop down with percentages would do. A 'fit to x pages' would be awesome!
  • Your margin preferences should be remembered.
  • It would be very helpful to be able to turn visual filters on/off from the print preview screen. I'll often not want volume/page numbers printed, for example.
  • It would be great to have an export to PDF, as well as XPF.
  • The currently selected reverse interlinear word is highlighted when you print. I don't think it should be.
  • We need control of whether footnotes and citations print. Ideally, this should be two tickboxes on the preview screen.

Yes, great recommendations! +1 Yes (You do mean XPS though don't you?)

Posts 8645
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 7:49 AM | Locked

While there may be room on the print dialog for improvements as noted, I do like the layout and will be happy to use it.

OTOH

One of the features I like about certain programs I use which have specialized print dialogs is a checkbox in options that says "use windows default dialogs" (This applies to print, open, save, etc).

Perhaps not a high priority but someone out there will at least want an answer as to why Logos can't just use the standard Windows/Mac dialog for printing.

"Brace yerself"

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1419
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 8:25 AM | Locked

Building on top of Mark's input:

- Have a popup (mouse hover) of full printer name for the longer printer names.

- Change the label "Name:" to "Printer:"

Peter

Posts 1708
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 9:47 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:
Perhaps not a high priority but someone out there will at least want an answer as to why Logos can't just use the standard Windows/Mac dialog for printing.

Because those dialogs don't make it easy to include "extra" controls like choosing which articles to print from a Table of Contents, or which range of a data type, etc. (It's doable, but it's messy, and it's Win32 code and we're a WPF/.NET application.)

Posts 8645
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 10:21 AM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:

Thomas Black:

Because those dialogs don't make it easy to include "extra" controls like choosing which articles to print from a Table of Contents, or which range of a data type, etc. (It's doable, but it's messy, and it's Win32 code and we're a WPF/.NET application.)

And that works as a good answer. Smile  I'll mark it in my favorites.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 10:58 AM | Locked

Dominick Sela:

Mark Barnes:
It would be great to have an export to PDF, as well as XPF.

In the interest of saving time to implement other features (since we are seeing there are some "1.0" features going into 4.1), I might suggest that there are quite a few PDF print drivers you can install on your computer, so all you have to do is "Print" and choose that printer, and voila - you have a PDF. They really work very well. That way, the time to implement PDF capability could be used to add other features in!!

I do not use XPF, but I think I Have seen the same type of driver support for it (I stand corrected if I am hallucinating though!)

Yes, I agree. Since it is so easy to use pdf print driver, I would see the priority of the pdf export feature as very low on the list.

Bohuslav

Posts 664
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 11:45 AM | Locked

Dominick Sela:
there are quite a few PDF print drivers you can install on your computer,

I agree. I use PDF Exchange and print many docs and web pages to pdf.

I do appreciate the print functionality which was one of two things keeping me from fully switching from L3.  The two things I want most to print are notes and passage lists. So now I have one of the two. Passage list printing in L4 isn't there yet. It spaces the reference and text out far too much so it wastes oodles of paper and doesn't offer any options on how to format the printed page (one column, two etc as in L3). Hopefully that will come later.

Suggestion about HTML export

On the HTML export of passage lists, allow the user to specify where the reference links will go when clicked in a browser. Currently they go to Logos 4 which is nice for personal study on my machine, but if I'm going to put the page on a web site, it would save time to allow me to select where the link goes, for example to one of the many on-line Bibles. The very best thing would be to allow the user to write out anything they want for the HTML that forms the reference using a keyword like %REF that Logos would replace with the Biblical reference.

Furthermore allow the reference to be before (as it is now), inline before the text,or  inline after the text.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 1419
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 14 2010 11:49 AM | Locked

I use Primo PDF.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS