What are your Top 5 Bible Translations in 2021 and why?

Page 2 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 60 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2021 6:35 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I sort by date by changing the resource title.

Ditto, but I remember KSFJ has a good system.  I also push back dating to the older languages (eg latin, coptic, syriac, etc) even though the equivalent english translation is more recent.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 18810
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2021 9:04 PM

Denise:

Bruce Dunning:
I sort by date by changing the resource title.

Ditto, but I remember KS4J has a good system.

Thankful for Logos & Verbum allow Resource Title & Abbreviated Title modification so an alphabetic sort is chronological:

Inverted image for easier reading by some. Thankful for Dark Mode contrast improvement:

Personal quirk is adding a letter after year for non-English Language. Some "Bible" resources also have an Abbreviation added to prefix.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1228
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2021 11:08 PM

I could almost copy P A's list verbatim, but I'll make a few more comments:

1. ESV--My default for teaching, personal, and academic use; I like the elegant language and accuracy.
  2. NIV 2011--When in doubt, my default for preaching or casual usage at times when the ESV's precision is not required. I agree wholeheartedly with the description of it as "a bit bland."
  3. NLT--I usually avoid looser translations (the NIV is about as far as I like to go), but I've discovered in recent months that I like the NLT. It's not much looser than the NIV but is far from bland, with a nice upbeat style most of the time. (Again, used at times when precision is not so necessary.)
  4. ASV--For those times when that newfangled NASB isn't wooden enough! I kid; mostly it's for when I'm too lazy to try to puzzle things out in the Greek or Hebrew.
  5. Could be either NRSV or NABRE.

Bonus for special Hexateuch studies: The LEB linked to the AFAT Hebrew text with a visual filter color-coded (thanks MJ!) to the source texts.

P A:

For me the top 5 at the moment go something like this...

1) ESV  good for study, elegant,  harder to understand, which forces the reader to work out the interpretation for themselves...

2) NIV 2011  Good middle of the road, general purpose bible, although sometimes can be a bit bland.

3) NLT Easy to read translation, does the interpretation for you (but is it right?), opposite of ESV

4) NASB 1995 more word for word, sometimes a bit wooden.  I am currently using this bible to read  through the whole bible, as I have never read through it before. Good to mix things up.

5) NRSV mainline translation, a lot of scholars prefer it.  Good alternative to ESV for theological interpretation.

***Bonus translation  The Lexham English Septuagint  good alternative for comparison of old testament based on Greek text.

Posts 5091
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2021 11:22 PM

KS4J, how do you get the columns in your library layout?

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, 64gb 3600 RAM, 2tb m.2 EVO Pro Plus SSD (x2), 12tb Seagate Barracuda (x2)...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 23968
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2021 11:34 PM

David Paul:
KS4J, how do you get the columns in your library layout?

I think, for the purpose of demonstration, he has opened the Library in multiple tabs

Posts 5091
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 3:20 AM

Graham Criddle:
I think, for the purpose of demonstration, he has opened the Library in multiple tabs

Ah, yes, seeing that now. Thanks. You know...I like this theoretical option. Would be great if FL could create a multi-column view for the Library.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, 64gb 3600 RAM, 2tb m.2 EVO Pro Plus SSD (x2), 12tb Seagate Barracuda (x2)...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 47
John W Gillis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 6:08 AM

P A:
What are your Top 5 Bible Translations in 2021 and why?

1. RSV-2CE (go-to Bible since it got an RI in Logos)
  2. RNJB (To get more familiar with it. Print-only. Newly published in 2019. The JB/NJB reimagined as a formal equivalence text! It's fantastic!)
  3. ESV-CE (Re-visit this translation now that it has Deuterocanonicals to see if it might become new go-to)
  4. NET 2.0 (Will check this one out, although I thought NET 1.0 was drab)
  5. NABRE (call it a situational necessity)
Posts 2261
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 6:23 AM

James Amos:

1. CSB

2. NASB

3. ESV

4. LEB

5. NIV

I have the same 5, but different rank for different reasons.

1. CSB - This is the translation I am journaling in my personal quiet time - personal spiritual formation is highest priority.

2. ESV - The translation I use for preaching (accuracy in translation philosophy and accessibility to congregants)

3. NASB - I consult a more "wooden" translation for micro view (Reverse Interlinear Panel, look at individual words)

4. NIV - I consult a more "dynamic" translation for macro view (Discourse features turned on to get the big picture and overall flow of the thoughts).

5. LEB - Since the majority of my study is in Logos, this translation is FULLY tagged and integrated into Logos interactives and datasets.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1603
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 6:24 AM

Kiyah:
What are your thoughts on the NET Bible?

I use it, and I don't care that much of other English translations.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 4280
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 8:41 AM

1) NASB

2) ESV

3) NLT

4) AMP (wish we could get the updated one)

5) NCV [I have young kids and this is the easiest for them to understand :)]

Posts 4280
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 8:42 AM

Veli Voipio:

Kiyah:
What are your thoughts on the NET Bible?

I use it, and I don't care that much of other English translations.

I don't read the NET very much but I do like the notes

Posts 202
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 9:15 AM

1) NABRE

2) RSVCE

3) ESVCE

4) NJB

5) DRB 

Posts 282
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 9:18 AM

I guess I'm just a simple man.... here's my choices...

1. NKJV

2. Text Comparison under Tools in Logos with 11 translations. 

I do my heavy studying now in Logos with minor in WS (there are things I can do quicker in WS still). My reading I do out of an opened book.

xn = Christan  man=man

Posts 18810
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 10:36 AM

David Paul:

Graham Criddle:

Ah, yes, seeing that now. Thanks. You know...I like this theoretical option. Would be great if FL could create a multi-column view for the Library.

Thankful for Logos & Verbum change that allows Library to be opened in many tabs.  +1 Yes like so Please Vote => https://feedback.faithlife.com/boards/logos-desktop-app/posts/add-title-view-to-library

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 936
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 11:58 AM

Sean:
NLT--I usually avoid looser translations

At first I read this as "loser translations" and chuckled. I thought, "I'm not a fan of the NLT but that's a bit harsh." lol Then I realized what you meant. Reading is fundamental. lol

Posts 914
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 12:03 PM

LOL Smile  funny

Posts 914
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 12:03 PM

LOL Smile  funny

Posts 914
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2021 12:12 PM

Inductive bible study method might have helped Observation-Interpretation-Application

before Interpretation and Application, always do the Observation 

Thanks Kiyah for making me chuckle Smile  LOL

P A

Posts 24
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 6:23 AM

P A:

Has anyone switched from NKJV to MEV?

I am really curious about this translation, too.

Posts 2867
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 7:38 AM

ESV        (has become my "go to" translation for its accuracy or translation)

NIV ('84)  (Was my "go to" translation, but moved to ESV because my congregation cannot buy a NIV ('84)

NLT  

After that I go to the Greek (NA 28) for New Testament and the Hebrew (BHS) 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 2 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS