BRADLEY? What is up with Verbum memory use

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 30935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 7 2021 6:36 PM

Most of the time my memory use ranges between 35-45% ... but with surprising frequency Verbum goes nuts eating up memory and finally crashing.

To reproduce (one pattern I've identified):

• open esv with link set a and propositional outline filter
  • open high definition esv with link set a
  • open esv-ce with link set a and discoourse filter
  • set to Romans 1:16
  • focus on propositional outline tile; take screen shot
  • focus on high definition tile; take screen shot
  • focus on discourse tile ... well try, it becomes unresponsive
  • watch memory use grow and grow
  • crash

Note files were cleared before Verbum was reopened so the logs are reasonably pure to this scenario.

5383.VerbumError.zip

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8985
LogosEmployee

This is the final line in your log before the crash:

(11m 36.2s) Populating filter cache for heading:*

Maybe it's not using up all the memory, but it is spending an enormous amount of CPU time and slowing down the program. Wildcard searches, particularly for "*", are not optimised. I strongly recommend deleting that visual filter document.

(Other than that, it's very hard to diagnose RAM usage from a log file, so I don't have any other suggestions

Posts 19124
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2021 10:21 PM

MJ. Smith:

Very bizarre/amusing that my computer seems to think that .zip file was a Microsoft Solitaire theme. ???  I didn't install MS Solitaire Collection (it probably came with my computer).

Not your or Logos's fault. Just sharing it here for the humor value. Will bring it up with Microsoft.

Posts 30935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2021 1:43 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
I strongly recommend deleting that visual filter document.

The only filters intentionally on are Logos application filters - in making sure that no filters were on unintentionally, I noticed that the Factbook filter in the ESVCE led to the program becoming unresponsive and eventually to a crash.

.8473.VerbumError-2.zip

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
Wildcard searches, particularly for "*", are not optimised

AFAIK I have not been foolish enough to have such a filter - it certainly is not intentionally turned on. a couple of years ago I was a victim of a beta bug that turned filters on but ESVCE is a new resource on which I have not manually turned anything except the Discourse filter.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 30935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2021 1:52 AM

Rosie Perera:
Just sharing it here for the humor value. Will bring it up with Microsoft.

That's what I get for using an ASUS ROG --- clearly biased towards gaming. Big Smile

Posts 19124
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2021 3:55 AM

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
Just sharing it here for the humor value. Will bring it up with Microsoft.

That's what I get for using an ASUS ROG --- clearly biased towards gaming. Big Smile

Got the answer already (psst, I didn't really bring it up with Microsoft, but with some Microsoft alumni friends of mine).

Here's the explanation of what was wrong:

"Websites and web browsers use MIME types to determine the file type, not the extension. In this case, the web server is returning the correct MIME type, application/x-compressed. In the registry, on my Windows 10 machine, this MIME type has the extension .solitairetheme8 mapped to it (see HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-compressed). Firefox looks up the MIME type in the registry, sees the solitaire extension, and thinks it's a solitaire theme pack. I don't know what wrote this registry key, but I'm guessing it's the solitaire installer. The file downloads correctly as zip in Chrome (mac/pc) and Safari. It seems Firefox is doing the 'correct' thing but it's broken for most windows users.

BTW, to fix this, you'll have to edit the registry. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-compressed key and change the 'Extension' value to '.zip'. Then Firefox will correctly ask you if you want to open the file with Explorer [actually for me it's WinZip] instead of Solitaire. And hopefully this doesn't break Solitaire 😃"

I looked where he said, and sure enough, my registry had .solitairetheme8 in there. Editing that fixed it.

Posts 8985
LogosEmployee

MJ. Smith:
AFAIK I have not been foolish enough to have such a filter

The log shows that the program is executing it, therefore it must exist on your system.

Find that Visual Filter document and delete it (don't just uncheck it in the Visual Filters menu).

Then see if the RAM issue is resolved.

Posts 30935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2021 11:11 AM

The problem first appeared when testing the Factbook filter in beta. It did not occur concurrently with any changes in user filters. I will simply turn the Factbook filter off everywhere and see if the problem disappears.

Posts 8985
LogosEmployee

OK, but if you ever want to stop your CPU fans for spinning up for twelve minutes whenever you open a resource, feel free to follow my suggestion, too. Smile

Posts 30935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2021 11:40 AM

If it happens, I certainly will.

Posts 26230
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2021 3:45 AM

MJ. Smith:
in making sure that no filters were on unintentionally, I noticed that the Factbook filter in the ESVCE led to the program becoming unresponsive and eventually to a crash.

That crash was the same as the previous one - from a user VF for heading:* that is on ESV, not ESVCE. I couldn't get that type of message by turning on the Factbook filter in ESV.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 30935
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 11 2021 1:41 PM

Thanks Dave

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS