How to open commentaries in Logos VS WordSearch

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 18
Leon Bible | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 6 2021 9:39 AM

I am a Wordsearch user Newly coming to Logos.

In Wordsearch lets say you are studying a passage and you open a commentary then you opened ALL the books of that commentary.

In Logos how do you do that. Do you have to open 1 book of the commentary set at a time.

Say you are studying Psalms and then John and then Genesis...  in wordsearch the same WHOLE commentary would be open and following you.

In Logos HOW do you open a WHOLE commentary set without having to do it individually for each book of the Bible?

Thanks to anyone who can help me on this.

Leon 

Posts 2297
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 9:56 AM

Leon Bible:
n Logos HOW do you open a WHOLE commentary set without having to do it individually for each book of the Bible?

Welcome to the forum!

If you are using a one-volume commentary (e.g. The Moody Bible Commentary) the commentary should follow your Bible window as long as the "linkset is the same".

If you are using a SERIES (e.g. The New American Commentary), all volumes in the series that you own should follow as long as the "linkset" is the same.

Setting the "Linkset" is a matter of clicking the 3 vertical dots and choosing one of the letters--"B" in this photo.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 24484
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 9:56 AM

Leon Bible:
I am a Wordsearch user Newly coming to Logos.

Welcome to Logos and to these forums

Leon Bible:
In Logos HOW do you open a WHOLE commentary set without having to do it individually for each book of the Bible?

If you have a commentary open on one book and then enter a reference to another book in the reference box, the relevant commentary in that series will open and replace the one you have open

Does that give you what you are looking for?

Posts 1452
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 9:58 AM

Graham Criddle:

If you have a commentary open on one book and then enter a reference to another book in the reference box, the relevant commentary in that series will open and replace the one you have open

You can see an example of this in the following support video (at ~1:30):

https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038669172-How-do-I-use-commentaries-in-Logos- 

Posts 18
Leon Bible | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 4:57 PM

Thanks Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to help me.

Seems like Logos is a more difficult to use than WordSearch was.

Will have to watch the videos and do some more study on linksets and it does seem like it follows you once you open any book in a series.

thanks again

Leon 

Posts 19134
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 6 2021 11:21 PM

Leon Bible:
Say you are studying Psalms and then John and then Genesis...  in wordsearch the same WHOLE commentary would be open and following you.

Welcome Big Smile

Personally prefer Multiview Resources to linking Bible and Commentary resources (especially if Commentary lacks verses as Link Set navigation change to Commentary causes Commentary change to next available verse location, which is sent to other Link Set resources so Bible jumps from a verse to ...). In contrast, primary resource in Multiview specifies location for secondary resource(s) in Multiview to follow plus secondary resource(s) can be scrolled without changing primary resource location.

93RC2 Multivew LEB BKC FSB Geneva

Geneva Bible Notes does not have Psalm 51:5 so Bible change to Psalm 51:5 in a link set with Geneva Notes would jump to Psalm 51:6 (from Geneva Notes location change from Psalm 51:5 to next verse)

93RC2 Multivew LEB BKC FSB Geneva Jn17 1

Screen shot shows Commentary resources scrolled up a bit while not changing Bible location. Changing to John 17:1 in a Link Set with Geneva Notes would subsequently change location to John 17:2

My purchased library has many Commentary Sets (Series) with customized Titles:

93RC2 Multivew LEB UBS ACCS CBSC Ge3 15

Changing Bible location to Ps23.1 causes resource volume changes in Commentary Series:

93RC2 Multivew LEB UBS ACCS CBSC Ps23 1

Thread => Creating a New Series of Commentaries includes Commentary Title customization ideas.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS