Sentence Diagrammer Request: rotate text

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18724
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 17 2010 3:14 PM | Locked

I'd like to be able to grab text (or right click on it) and rotate it (at least by 45 degree increments, or any angle that is allowed for lines by the snap-to-grid functionality; it looks like 22.5 degrees is the finest increment allowed), so that I put text along the diagonal lines, as in this diagram generated by an online Reed-Kellog Sentence Diagrammer:

This is the closest approximation I've been able to come up with using Logos, but it's not ideal:

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 3:19 PM | Locked

I agree. The first diagram is worth pursuing the capability of.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 3:38 PM | Locked

+1  Yes

I agree Rosie, this is basic for my usage.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 3:39 PM | Locked

Agreed!

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 3:56 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
I'd like to be able to grab text (or right click on it) and rotate it

I agree.

Posts 18724
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 4:14 PM | Locked

Well, so far it seems unanimous! I haven't seen anyone who disagrees or thinks it would be too hard to implement. Smile

So, c'mon, let's do it, Logos!

Posts 26851
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 5:54 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
so that I put text along the diagonal lines, as in this diagram

The flavor of Reed-Kellogg I was taught in grade school didn't write on the diagonal. Now I've discovered it's advantage.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 6:07 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
so that I put text along the diagonal lines, as in this diagram

The flavor of Reed-Kellogg I was taught in grade school didn't write on the diagonal. Now I've discovered it's advantage.

Yeah, the book Diagrammatical Analysis (that's available in Logos) explicitly says, "Always write on the horizontal base line," as it's first rule.  Here's how it says to diagram a prepositional phrase:

But I think it's less useful for quickly seeing the structure that way. Diagonal lines (with diagonal words) make better use of space and make the modifier words more clearly associated with the word being modified. IMO

EDIT: Schreiner (in Interpreting the Pauline Epistles) also only uses horizonal words, but he does things even more differently than I'm used to:

Rotatable words please!

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 26851
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 6:38 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
Diagonal lines (with diagonal words) make better use of space and make the modifier words more clearly associated with the word being modified

Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog: The Quirky History and Lost Art of Diagramming Sentences shows curved words on its cover:

Sister is always right, isn't she?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 6:50 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:
Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog: The Quirky History and Lost Art of Diagramming Sentences shows curved words on its cover

Ooo, after reading the second chapter in that book on Google books, I have to get it.   It presents us with this wonderful diagram of a Woody Allen quote:

And shows that diagrams don't always make things clearer:

Posts 26851
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 6:52 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
I have to get it.

It is great fun!

Posts 18724
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 6:53 PM | Locked

Here's a bizarre introduction to sentence diagramming based on the Reed-Kellogg method, illustrated with characters from Touhou animated video games:

http://aslancross.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/diagramming.ppt

It uses diagonals.

Here's the tough test example they give at the end of a sentence for you to try diagramming: 

The defenders of Gensokyo, who are incredibly-skilled warriors, are fighting tirelessly to protect the realm from invaders who wish to take their beloved land, but the mysterious enemy who is coming might be too strong for them to defeat.

Smile

Posts 26851
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 17 2010 6:54 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
Here's the tough test example they give at the end of a sentence for you to try diagramming

Which is why I use tree diagrams for clarity, Reed-Kellogg for fun ...

Posts 2693
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 12:33 AM | Locked

Rosie Perera:

I'd like to be able to grab text (or right click on it) and rotate it (at least by 45 degree increments, or any angle that is allowed for lines by the snap-to-grid functionality; it looks like 22.5 degrees is the finest increment allowed), so that I put text along the diagonal lines, as in this diagram generated by an online Reed-Kellog Sentence Diagrammer:

Yes please 

up to 90 degrees for me both directions, if we can have text any angle from 0-90degrees  will fix most situations

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 1:15 AM | Locked

DominicM:
up to 90 degrees for me both directions, if we can have text any angle from 0-90degrees  will fix most situations

What if there was a simple way to set the word or words to "follow attached line" or "rotate to follow attached line."

Posts 2693
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 1:25 AM | Locked

most of my diagramming use requires no or minimal lines, that would be a nice feature addition tho.. but to me the snapping to line is not as important as the rotation 

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 18724
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 1:26 AM | Locked

Philip Spitzer:
What if there was a simple way to set the word or words to "follow attached line" or "rotate to follow attached line."

Yeah, now that would be really nice! Even better than having to do it manually ourselves. (That's why I was never a software designer; just a programmer. I can see the superiority of such ideas like this, but I rarely come up with them on my own.)

Posts 3194
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 3:25 AM | Locked

DominicM:

Rosie Perera:

Yes please 

BeerYes

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 3:37 AM | Locked

Rosie Perera:

Philip Spitzer:

Yeah, now that would be really nice! Even better than having to do it manually ourselves. (That's why I was never a software designer; just a programmer. I can see the superiority of such ideas like this, but I rarely come up with them on my own.)

Honestly, I won't be using it that much though it's really fun to play around with :-) I would recommend the snap to line function as it would seem to speed things up a good bit, but I would also allow for a MS Office like rotation (little green dot above the selection). If it was one or the other I would go with snap to line. You could always create a line, give it a see through color and attach a word to it, assuming you can set the color or transparency.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 18 2010 4:04 AM | Locked

this is a great suggestion!

I'm in agreement.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS