?? Syntax search for 1. Definite article in neuter WITH a noun in feminine

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 13
John C Hamilton | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 13 2021 5:40 AM

Eph 2:8 has long been disputed as to exactly what "is not of yourselves". I just read a commentary that said there are many attestations of a feminine noun having an associated neuter article.  I'd like to see some.

ἐστε σεσωσμένοι διὰ πίστεως· καὶ τοῦτο οὐκ ἐξ ὑμῶν

I can't figure out how to Syntax Search or Morph Search for this.

Please help.

John Hamilton, The Navigators

Posts 2553
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2021 11:37 AM

Hi John,

If you go to Docs and open a Morph Query and set it as follows:

You should get the results you are looking for. Others may have ideas using other search tools.

Posts 13
John C Hamilton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2021 11:58 AM

Thanks, John.  But that doesn't work. It returns verses with a neuter article in one phrase, and a feminine noun in a whole different phrase -- even with the 2 Word span. 

I can't figure out how to get a search to return Eph 2:8 -- and a whole lot of Church doctrine rides on this thing.

Blessings,

Posts 2553
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2021 3:23 PM

I get 27 results in 27 verses shown below. Is this what your results are?

Posts 27053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2021 3:32 PM

You can get Eph 2:8 as follows

The latter "Span" comes from a Proximity relation, which says the 2 words are adjacent (3 words allows one intervening word).  The first "Span" states that the words are in the same verse.

However, there is only a neuter noun ("gift") associated with the neuter article, unless "God" (masculine) is the target. There is no Feminine noun

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 27053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2021 3:11 PM

Dave Hooton:
there is only a neuter noun ("gift") associated with the neuter article, unless "God" (masculine) is the target. There is no Feminine noun

Neuter article/feminine noun only occurs in Jn 20:19, Acts 18:1. But the article is also tagged as Feminine!

Amongst the 27 results for Neuter article/masculine noun, many articles are also tagged as Masculine.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13
John C Hamilton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2021 6:51 AM

Hi Dave,

I must not be explaining myself adequately.  Reformed theologians have long stated that "faith" is a gift of God to his elect, and they quote Eph 2:8 in support:  στε σεσωσμένοι διὰ πίστεως· καὶ τοῦτο οὐκ ἐξ ὑμῶν.

The difficulty lies in associating touto with pistis.  pistis is feminine; touto is neuter.

I just read a commentary that stated this is not a problem, since there are several other places in NT where a feminine noun is antecedent to to a neuter pronoun (I was wrong to say neuter article.). 

So I'm still left with how to set up a syntax search to return the "several other places".  Pls help.

Thanks,

John Hamilton

Posts 27053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2021 8:18 AM

If you look at my Morph Query above, change it as follows:-

Part of Speech      Noun          Pronoun

Gender                  Feminine    Neuter

Span:  3 Words

You should get 148 results

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19402
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 21 2021 4:00 PM

John C Hamilton:
Eph 2:8 has long been disputed as to exactly what "is not of yourselves"... I can't figure out how to Syntax Search

Three clause visualization resources show different analysis where two of them have separate clauses in Ephesians 2:8 while one shows Ephesians 2:8 and part of Ephesians 2:9 being one sentence, which can be used for Syntax Search:

Syntax Search example that includes Ephesians 2:8

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS