Free Trial beta download

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 26 2010 5:27 PM

Dear All: I have been following the posts on the alpha development as I am interested in making a purchase.

A few days ago I noticed an offer on the blog side of a trial copy of the beta.

I downloaded it with no problems, however, there is not so much as a Bible or any other resource within the program in order to try the functions of the software and it's capability.

Anything I am missing?

Is there some other download I have missed/

Thanks for any help.

Grace and Peace,

Rusty+

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 26 2010 8:13 PM

Rusty,

Logos offers their book-reader engine for free. That is the context of "download the free beta and try it out." With that said Logos does have a money back guarantee so you can try a full base package with no risk. Alternately, you can "purchase" these free resources ( http://wiki.logos.com/Free_Logos_Books ) to try the software out.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 26 2010 10:58 PM

Thanks, Tried that even though none of those resources is going to show me anything of the program capabilities.

However, could not make any of those resources load into the program, so again, I have no idea if this software will be of good use to me.

I have heavy investments in other Bible study software, one Windows program as well as the "other" Mac platform.

Other Mac program is nice, but Ui drives me nuts, so I was hoping to "try before buy" .

Perhaps Logos will at some point see the marketing potential in offering people something usable for a week or so to make a decision about.

In my case, if the software worked well, I would purchase a library.

The few screenshots I have seen in the forums looked nice to me and like a UI that I would feel comfortable working within.

I think there are quite a few people lurking in the forums, watching, reading and praying this turns out well, I always look for the screenshots and do wish there were more of those.

Thanks for your help Kevin.

Grace and Peace,

Rusty+

Posts 3171
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 9:34 AM

Fr Charles:

The process of getting this all to work is predicated on having the book (resource) unlocked to one's account. It seems all you probably did was download the files rather than put them in your cart and go through that process. Downloading the file does not provide Logos4 with the required license information for access to the book. If you go through the "free purchase" process, meaning if you add the book to cart and go through the purchase process which will not take any money from you, the file will be unlocked to a newly created account on our end which will be connected to your information used to sign into Logs4. T

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:18 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Dear All: I have been following the posts on the alpha development as I am interested in making a purchase.

A few days ago I noticed an offer on the blog side of a trial copy of the beta.

I downloaded it with no problems, however, there is not so much as a Bible or any other resource within the program in order to try the functions of the software and it's capability.

Anything I am missing?

Is there some other download I have missed/

Thanks for any help.

Grace and Peace,

Rusty+

Are you referring to the free version that Thomas Nelson used to offer? (It was Libronix, although it would still work) or are you referring to something else? A link would be helpful. Thanks.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 5:38 PM

Dear All: Thanks guys, I got a couple of books downloaded and installed, not enough to really know what the program can and cannot do, so this was sort of an effort in futility.

However, I do thank you greatly for your help.

The one thing I did learn is that scrolling through the biblical text was painfully slow and jerky, If that is any help to the folks working on the program.

Again, thanks for your help.

Grace and Peace,

Rusty+

Posts 66
Thomas Wooded | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 8:27 PM

Rusty:

I'm an Anglican bible college student studying toward ordination to the diaconate and perhaps the priesthood later. I purchased the Scholar base package and have not regretted it for a moment. Since Logos 4 is available on both Windows and Mac, you can install a copy on each of your machines (or both on your Mac if you use Parallels or Boot Camp) and see how they work for you. Even as a beta, the Mac version far outshines the "other" Mac Bible software that I had before.

My advice is to take the plunge... worst case, you get the full experience and get your money back if it's not right for you.

The Lord be with you!

MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo & 4GB RAM
MacOS 10.6.6 and Windows 7 Pro

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 10:20 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
The one thing I did learn is that scrolling through the biblical text was painfully slow and jerky,

Scrolling experience depends on resource and other open items.  Noticed scrolling bible text done first, then linked items - do like correlated commentary scrolling.  Some tools take awhile to update after text scrolling: e.g. passage guide and explorer.

Logos 4 layout is flexible - allowing many items to be open at same time - panels can be sized as desired - Beta 3 example with 10 panels:

Logos 4 library can be used on many devices: Mac OS X, Windows 7, iOS (iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch).  By the way, iPad scrolling is faster than desktops - can download resources for offline reading.

Logos has library comparison chart => http://www.logos.com/comparison

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 27 2010 11:46 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
The one thing I did learn is that scrolling through the biblical text was painfully slow and jerky,

Scrolling experience depends on resource and other open items.  Noticed scrolling bible text done first, then linked items - do like correlated commentary scrolling.  Some tools take awhile to update after text scrolling: e.g. passage guide and explorer.

Logos 4 layout is flexible - allowing many items to be open at same time - panels can be sized as desired - Beta 3 example with 10 panels:

Logos 4 library can be used on many devices: Mac OS X, Windows 7, iOS (iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch).  By the way, iPad scrolling is faster than desktops - can download resources for offline reading.

Logos has library comparison chart => http://www.logos.com/comparison

Keep Smiling Smile

Did you make this to show 10 resources open, or does this layout actually work for study? I've never seen it done quite like that, how did you organize it, I would be great to have more open like that. Is the scaling set lower than 100%? 

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 28 2010 5:39 AM

Philana Crouch:
Did you make this to show 10 resources open, or does this layout actually work for study? I've never seen it done quite like that, how did you organize it, I would be great to have more open like that. Is the scaling set lower than 100%? 

Yes, yes, & yes (actually screenshot image from 27" iMac scaled down to reduce file size for posting).

Resources can be dragged and dropped - blue outline shows portion of window for placement.  This layout shows variety of Logos tools and possible arrangement for studying Greek (for study would replace collections with a commentary or greek grammar; also use other panels - double clicking words opens resources).  On Mac, mouse hovering message appears in gray bottom of window - hence placed Greek text lower left - can hover to see expanded morphology.  Placed English translations for reference.

Looking at greek preposition diagram, now pondering why John choose πρὸς (to,toward) instead of μετά (with, about) - also wondering about "with" translation.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS