Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 53 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3821
Forum MVP
Fredc | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:05 AM | Locked

Since downloading Beta 3 the Homepage will not display anything but devotionals and excerpts. Blog, Pre-pubs, Community pricing, etc will not display.

I have insured that everything was checked in the Homepage settings. I even tried deleting the homepage file and restarting to load a new one; but to nothing worked.

I am running 4.0d on a Netbook and the homepage displays as expected.

Diagnostic Logging

Grow in your personal relationship with Christ; so you can help others come into and grow in a personal relationship with Christ

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:46 AM | Locked

Are you working online and have "Use Internet" set to "Yes" in Program Settings?

Posts 8591
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:49 AM | Locked

Fred,

I don't know if this is limited to beta or not, but it has been  noted....

Home Page - odd... <http://community.logos.com/forums/t/20704.aspx>

and

Home <http://community.logos.com/forums/MyForums.aspx>

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 8591
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:58 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

Are you working online and have "Use Internet" set to "Yes" in Program Settings?

Yes indeed.

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3821
Forum MVP
Fredc | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 8:00 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

Same here

Diagnostic Logging

Grow in your personal relationship with Christ; so you can help others come into and grow in a personal relationship with Christ

Posts 8591
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 8:04 AM | Locked

Um, perhaps a log would help?

http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/78/6443.Logos4.log

Check the Wiki

Posts 19841
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 8:05 AM | Locked

FWIW it seems to be working fine for me - using 4.1B3.

Graham

Posts 3821
Forum MVP
Fredc | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 8:18 AM | Locked

I am posting a log as well. I looked and both mine and Thomas' log and it appears a common denominator may be the warning for something called "Syndicationutility". That appears to be generating a server error.

0508.Logos4.log

Diagnostic Logging

Posts 7460
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 8:23 AM | Locked

Thomas,

Your log file contains the line:
Unexpected HTTP response when accessing '.http://www.logos.com/rdf/?file=columns-4.0〈=en': 500 Internal Server Error

It's possible that the logos.com server did return that error code in the past (and maybe that's what started the problem), but the issue now is that IE (strictly speaking, the underlying WinInet library) is caching that error code and now won't connect to logos.com.

To fix it, first close Logos 4.

Then in Internet Explorer, choose Tools > Internet Options from the menu; on the "General" tab, under "Browsing history", click the "Delete..." button. Clear all the checkboxes except for "Temporary Internet Files" and click Delete. Be sure to clear the "Preserve Favorites website data" checkbox.

When you restart Logos, the home page should load as normal. If it's still missing blogs, press F5 to force a refresh of the home page.

Posts 8591
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 1:16 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

It's possible that the logos.com server did return that error code in the past (and maybe that's what started the problem), but the issue now is that IE (strictly speaking, the underlying WinInet library) is caching that error code and now won't connect to logos.com.

To fix it, in Internet Explorer, choose Tools > Internet Options from the menu; on the "General" tab, under "Browsing history", click the "Delete..." button. Clear all the checkboxes except for "Temporary Internet Files" and click Delete.

Interesting to note that this was caused in and by Logos if that's the case - because I NEVER use IE.  Ihad to load it just to do this, and I remember why. Devil

Bradley Grainger:
When you restart Logos, the home page should load as normal.

Sadly even after

1. closing Logos
  2. Loading IE
  3. Following your steps
  4. Closing IE
  5. Opening Logos
  6. Refreshing the Home page (F5) 

The problem persists.  Here's another log file.

Check the Wiki

Posts 8591
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 1:23 PM | Locked

This time I flushed the cache in Firefox also, and then redid the IE steps as well. 

Now I'm getting the home page data.  Yes

Might want to find a way to not make flushing the IE cache necessary for this one, it seems to affected quite a few people.  It's happening in MAC also, and AFAIK there's no IE there.

Check the Wiki

Posts 3821
Forum MVP
Fredc | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 2 2010 2:29 PM | Locked

Thomas,

After Bradley posted his message regarding how to correct this, I did exactly what you did. I had the same results you had initially. Then I ran a program I use periodically to clean everything out called Free Internet Eraser (http://download.cnet.com/Free-Internet-Eraser/3000-2144_4-10262217.html) and reopened L4 and everything works fine now.

Diagnostic Logging

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2010 5:27 AM | Locked

Maybe the Logos servers should set a shorter cache expiry for some of this data, and then maybe it would self-correct on the 2nd or 3rd day or whatever?

Such a setting might fix it in a few days, for those that are not technical and dont want to mess with clearing caches and the like.

What say, Logos?

Posts 8591
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2010 6:31 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

JimT:
Maybe the Logos servers should set a shorter cache expiry for some of this data, and then maybe it would self-correct on the 2nd or 3rd day or whatever?

Such a setting might fix it in a few days, for those that are not technical and dont want to mess with clearing caches and the like.

It's the untechnical users I'm concerned about.  What is happening to the thousands (?) of Logos users who (A) do not read these forums and won't, but (B) are still experiencing this problem?  

Is there a way for Logos to do something about this?  Or is this an IE reliance bug?

Check the Wiki

Posts 99
Bruce Fraser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2010 6:39 AM | Locked

I cleaned the cache for both IE and Firefox, and all to no avail. The Home page is still largely empty.

Another clue in the mystery: click on "Customize" down at the bottom of the window. All of the options which use the Logos server are greyed out; that is, one can neither check nor uncheck any of those items.

Posts 8591
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2010 6:57 AM | Locked

BruceFraser:
I cleaned the cache for both IE and Firefox, and all to no avail. The Home page is still largely empty.
did you close/restart Logos?

I had to close Logos before clearing caches or it wouldn't work.

BruceFraser:
Another clue in the mystery: click on "Customize" down at the bottom of the window. All of the options which use the Logos server are greyed out; that is, one can neither check nor uncheck any of those items.
That's a symptom of the error above, since Logos think's it can't access the internet because of that error, it isn't offering you the choice of changing the settings for internet material.

Check the Wiki

Posts 99
Bruce Fraser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 3 2010 4:13 PM | Locked

Thomas Black:
Did you close/restart Logos?

Yes, I did.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 6:49 AM | Locked

I'm not on the beta, but I'm experiencing this issue.  I closed Logos, cleared my FireFox cache, cleared Internet Explorer's Temporary Internet Files, and restarted Logos, but the problem persists.  Any other ideas?

Posts 8591
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 10:20 AM | Locked

Ron Keyston Jr:
Any other ideas?

Got a hammer?

Check the Wiki

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 10:32 AM | Locked

Thomas Black:

Ron Keyston Jr:
Any other ideas?

Got a hammer?

Don't tempt me Stick out tongue

Would it do any good to delete my homepage file?  I didn't want to try it until someone who knew better told me if it was a good/safe idea.

Page 1 of 3 (54 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS