Bug: Expansion of manually entered passages in Search

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 4 2010 8:24 AM | Locked

I do not want to see my abbreviated entry as well as the expanded entry in the Passage drop down list ie. if I entered Gen as the reference range with no title I'm happy to see only Genesis in the list!

After I made some changes (added a couple and deleted them) this is what resulted:-

I have two open Search tabs and this is what is now showing in the other:-

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 8:26 AM | Locked

I'll submit your request; thank you.

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 8:33 AM | Locked

This is sync'd to 4.0d in one Search tab (similar layout to 4.1 beta):-

Notice that Genesis and Psalms are greyed out. In the other Search tab they are NOT greyed!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 8:53 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
I do not want to see my abbreviated entry as well as the expanded entry in the Passage drop down list ie. if I entered Gen as the reference range with no title I'm happy to see only Genesis in the list!

This is by design, however, you can accomplish what you want by only entering the Reference Range (i.e., 'Genesis') with no Title before saving the custom range.

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 8:57 PM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:
This is by design, however, you can accomplish what you want by only entering the Reference Range (i.e., 'Genesis') with no Title before saving the custom range.

Ummm .. that's exactly what I have been doing. The beta has taken my original references from 4.0d (image above) and expanded them. Those with a title in 4.0d were entered with a title. Let me illustrate:-

Ref Range   Title   Result

4.0d     Gen               -       Genesis

Beta     Gen              -       Genesis (=Gen)

I now note that I get the same result as 4.0d in B5 but not when I posted the bug; and I still have ranges that were "corrupted" by that beta as you can see comparing the images from 4.0d with the first post! All the references in the beta image were entered in 4.0d or earlier.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 8 2010 12:15 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
I now note that I get the same result as 4.0d in B5 but not when I posted the bug

Except that Psalms is listed against one resource (NAS) and Psalms (=Ps) is listed against another resource (ESV)!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 10 2010 7:59 AM | Locked

bump

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 6:00 PM | Locked

bump

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 6:02 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

bump

I think I read in another thread that Melissa's on vacation. If so, it is well deserved!

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 7:50 PM | Locked

Then, am I the only one experiencing this bug?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 8:20 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Then, am I the only one experiencing this bug?

No.  Here's my range list:

I don't know what all the equals signs are for.  It's a very confusing display.

This is what it used to look like (from March):

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 8:34 AM | Locked

Since this doesn't occur with new reference ranges in the latest 4.1 beta, the resolution is to delete current custom ranges and recreate them.

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 11:13 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:
Since this doesn't occur with new reference ranges in the latest 4.1 beta

The problem still exists in B7 & the resolution has been tried without success since B5!

Let me show you. The red lined references are from 4.0d. the others were entered anew against the NRSV.

So far so good.

The next one is the result of changing the resource from NRSV to ESV:-

Now this what I see in 4.0d (after Sync'ing) except it does not change with resource:

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 7:26 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

Since this doesn't occur with new reference ranges in the latest 4.1 beta, the resolution is to delete current custom ranges and recreate them.

I have a similar problem with changing resources that Dave shows above.  I deleted all of my ranges, and then created a new one, "Genesis", with the ESV selected as the Bible.  (Syncing doesn't affect anything for me, but I'm only running one instance of L4)

Looks good, but if I change the Bible to something else, I get the unnecessary stuff after the range name:

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 8:01 AM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
I have a similar problem with changing resources that Dave shows above.  I deleted all of my ranges, and then created a new one, "Genesis", with the ESV selected as the Bible.  (Syncing doesn't affect anything for me, but I'm only running one instance of L4)

Perhaps this has changed in the build I'm running. Let's wait to see if Beta 8 resolves the problem.

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 6:08 PM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:
Let's wait to see if Beta 8 resolves the problem.

It doesn't!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 7:13 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
It doesn't!

Is this with a new reference range?  Are you entering it as I have below and clicking Save?

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 7:17 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:
Is this with a new reference range?  Are you entering it as I have below and clicking Save?

I have the problem too.  I'm not using "Save"--I just type the range and hit Enter. 

I deleted the previous Genesis range, and re-did it exactly as in my previous post.  And the problem still exists as shown in the previous post: the "(=Gen)" still appears after "Genesis" when I switch to NRSV (from ESV).

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 8:56 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

No! I click Save only when I enter a title:-

I enter Gen as Reference and hit Enter.

I enter Matt-John as Reference, then Gospels as Title and click Save.

Refer my last screen shots to see how they are then listed.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 18 2010 10:06 AM | Locked

Dave Hooton:

Melissa Snyder:

No! I click Save only when I enter a title:-

I enter Gen as Reference and hit Enter.

I enter Matt-John as Reference, then Gospels as Title and click Save.

Refer my last screen shots to see how they are then listed.

This is how it was explained to me: 

You will also see the (= Gen) range when you choose a resource other than the one you created the reference with; (= Gen) is different than (Gen).

When I tested this, by changing the 'ESV' as the Bible to search to 'Top Bibles', the range extension "(=Gen)" was added. This is by design.

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS