Morphological searching

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 55
John Houseago | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 12 2010 11:37 AM

I wonder if anyone can help.  I am not very good at Logos or Greek!

I am preparing a bible study on Paul's understanding of sin.

I set up a morphological search using NA27, and the range of the search to Paul's letters excluding the Pastoral Epistles.  I intended to check Paul's use of the singular and plural forms.

If I search on lemma:hamartia (using greek font) I get 61 hits in 50 verses.  If I add @N to the search I get 122 hits in 50 verses, i.e. twice as many hits.  I expected the lemma:hamartia result to be the total, with any qualifications after the @ to reduce the total.

I am missing something about the search?  Even more worrying, with a more complex search how will I know if I am getting true results?

Thank you.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 11:52 AM

The search engine counts the Lemma as a hit and the morph as a hit. You can divide the number by 2 to get the "true" number of hits. We've requested this changed before but I don't think Logos responded.

Posts 55
John Houseago | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 1:08 PM

Thank you, Kevin.   I appreciate the quick response. 

This is an odd way for Logos to count.  I am still not sure how I know the answers are correct

Posts 24298
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 1:19 PM

Hi John

I have just tried doing the same search in the ESV - which uses the same morphology as NA27 - and it seems to work differently in that the number of hits obtained when using @N is the same as without.

Would this give you what you want or is it essential that you use NA27?

Graham

PS: Why these two resources give different results is something I don't understand!

Posts 26403
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 12 2010 5:25 PM

Graham Criddle:
PS: Why these two resources give different results is something I don't understand!

The results are consistent with the Reverse Interlinears but double-counting varies amongst the Greek Bibles eg. between UBS4 Int andUBS4! How one can trust results or even know when it is misleading is very difficult. Logos are not ignorant of these matters for it has been evident from the very first 4.0 Beta.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 55
John Houseago | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 13 2010 1:10 AM

Hi Graham,

Yes, the search works with ESV without doubling the count.  Thank you.

I use the NA27 in a effort to be consistent across my work, but I can check it against ESV without any difficulty.

John

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS