Bibliography and More File Imports

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 14 2010 8:42 PM

Has the Bibliography (or a similar option) made it over to L4 yet? Just wondering...

Also, down the road, will more file formats be able to be imported into L4 (such as Syntax Searches, etc.)? I've got the old L3 files available so if/when they do, it'll save me from having to re-create some things.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 31288
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 8:49 PM

Nathan Parker:
will more file formats be able to be imported into L4

The pattern so far is that the ability to import files is released at the same time as the new feature.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26369
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 14 2010 9:50 PM

Nathan Parker:
Has the Bibliography (or a similar option) made it over to L4 yet? Just wondering...

The wiki is a great source of information about L4 and educational videos. Type "Bibliography" and I came up with http://wiki.logos.com/Bibliography!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 10:41 AM

Dave Hooton:

Nathan Parker:

The wiki is a great source of information about L4 and educational videos. Type "Bibliography" and I came up with http://wiki.logos.com/Bibliography!

Excellent info! Simple to use. This'll be great when doing Annotated Bibs for seminary. I couldn't find the Bibliography feature from L3 when I moved over to L4, but I had a feeling it was just in a different place. Works for me!

Yeah, last night after posted this I hopped on over to the Wiki and checked it out. Nice info over there. I read many of Bob's forum posts about the back engine, etc., that were really interesting to read.

Thanks again!

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 10:44 AM

MJ. Smith:

Nathan Parker:
will more file formats be able to be imported into L4

The pattern so far is that the ability to import files is released at the same time as the new feature.

Yeah, but in some cases I haven't seen that happening. So far here's what's left of my files I could import:

Collections

Resource Associations

Syntax Queries

I also have some Graphical Queries, PBB's, Sentence Diagrams, Sermon Files, and Timelines, but I realize those compilers or functionality hasn't been added yet. I'm just wondering when the top three will be. Those are the big ones on my list.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Posts 31288
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 3:24 PM

Nathan Parker:

Yeah, but in some cases I haven't seen that happening. So far here's what's left of my files I could import:

Collections

Resource Associations

Syntax Queries

Collections are handled so differently that they aren't expected to import.

I don't believe that Resource Associations are planned as such in that one can achieve much of the same functionality through advanced prioritization. I may be wrong as I didn't use the feature.

Syntax queries I don't know but tend to think they won't import because we've not seen it yet.

Graphical queries were not part of the original project plan but I may have seen something to the effect that they are being reconsidered.

Sorry for the misleading information on these 4 functions - I don't think of them as files except in a very technical sense so I didn't take them into consideration when I gave my answer.

PBB's ... Logos doesn't know what format this in going to take so the steps for recompiling are unknown. I would expect a recompile rather than an import - but that's just my guess.

Sentence diagrams - importing is in the current beta.

Sermon files - already are imported into Logos 4.

Time lines ... these are among the several XML files that are still unknowns. I would also include the Parallels/Harmonies, Lectionaries and reading plans into this category. I am far too smart to admit that it's not that hard to deal directly with SQLite ... not hard but not necessarily smart to do.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 3:47 PM

MJ. Smith:

Nathan Parker:

Collections

Resource Associations

Syntax Queries

Collections are handled so differently that they aren't expected to import.

I don't believe that Resource Associations are planned as such in that one can achieve much of the same functionality through advanced prioritization. I may be wrong as I didn't use the feature.

Syntax queries I don't know but tend to think they won't import because we've not seen it yet.

Graphical queries were not part of the original project plan but I may have seen something to the effect that they are being reconsidered.

Sorry for the misleading information on these 4 functions - I don't think of them as files except in a very technical sense so I didn't take them into consideration when I gave my answer.

PBB's ... Logos doesn't know what format this in going to take so the steps for recompiling are unknown. I would expect a recompile rather than an import - but that's just my guess.

Sentence diagrams - importing is in the current beta.

Sermon files - already are imported into Logos 4.

Time lines ... these are among the several XML files that are still unknowns. I would also include the Parallels/Harmonies, Lectionaries and reading plans into this category. I am far too smart to admit that it's not that hard to deal directly with SQLite ... not hard but not necessarily smart to do.

Thanks for the info! I'll go ahead and tossout my old collections and RA's. I'm doing pretty fine without them since I've re-built most of the ones I'll use frequently.

I hope Syntax Queries make it over as an Import. This is something I could use desperately.

As for GQ's, I read Bob has talked with a user who used it extensively, and he has some ideas for future implementations of it. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

As for PBB's, yeah, I've heard about the new complier that they'll be delivering when they roll it out. Can't wait to see that as well!

Excellent to know on Sentence Diagrams. My guess 4.1?

Sermon Files aren't in yet. According to the web, coming next year I'm guessing?

As for Timelines, Bob mentioned an updated compiler for those coming later, so I'm also looking forward to those.

The big three were was I was curious about, and nice to see two of them don't need to be imported. If Syntax Queries can be though someday, then I'd be set! if not, I'll need to watch the Syntax video and re-build them. :-)

Thanks again!

Nathan Parker

Posts 31288
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 4:37 PM

Nathan Parker:
Sermon Files aren't in yet. According to the web, coming next year I'm guessing?

L4 doesn't make Sermon Files but it already imports and reads L3 sermon files.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 4:39 PM

It does? Where do they show up? I haven't seen it yet...

Nathan Parker

Posts 26369
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 4:53 PM

Nathan Parker:

They can be imported via L3 or the Logos server (if published there) as "Sermons of <your name>".

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26369
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 5:17 PM

Nathan Parker:
Thanks for the info! I'll go ahead and tossout my old collections and RA's. I'm doing pretty fine without them since I've re-built most of the ones I'll use frequently.

L4 has Parallel Resource Sets (PRS) which function pretty much as PRA's in L3. User created Serial Resource Associations (SRA's) do not exist in L4 but there is a demand for the feature. There is no need of extensive collections as existed in L3 and you would overlook the advantages of L4 dynamic collections if they were to be imported.

For more information consult the wiki on Parallel Resources and Collections.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26369
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 5:24 PM

Nathan Parker:
If Syntax Queries can be though someday, then I'd be set! if not, I'll need to watch the Syntax video and re-build them. :-)

I wouldn't be averse to importing L3 Queries either as the L4 Syntax Search function can be frustrating to work with!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 5:28 PM

Dave Hooton:

Nathan Parker:

They can be imported via L3 or the Logos server (if published there) as "Sermons of <your name>".

I have the L3 files, and some of them are on the Logos server. How do I import them in?

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 5:30 PM

Dave Hooton:

Nathan Parker:

L4 has Parallel Resource Sets (PRS) which function pretty much as PRA's in L3. User created Serial Resource Associations (SRA's) do not exist in L4 but there is a demand for the feature. There is no need of extensive collections as existed in L3 and you would overlook the advantages of L4 dynamic collections if they were to be imported.

For more information consult the wiki on Parallel Resources and Collections.

Yeah, after looking at the new Collections and Parallel Resource Sets, I love the new collections. Much easier than the old setup. I love how collections are "smart and live" and dynamically update. I also love how serial resources are automatic in L4. L4 has definitely gotten much smarter!

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 5:31 PM

Dave Hooton:

Nathan Parker:
If Syntax Queries can be though someday, then I'd be set! if not, I'll need to watch the Syntax video and re-build them. :-)

I wouldn't be averse to importing L3 Queries either as the L4 Syntax Search function can be frustrating to work with!

Yeah, I think I've finally mastered it, but it's a bit different than the L3 version.

Nathan Parker

Posts 26369
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 5:36 PM

Nathan Parker:
I have the L3 files, and some of them are on the Logos server. How do I import them in?

I need to rephrase what I said. Sermon files should be automatically copied from a live L3 installation or automatically downloaded. Did you check your Library for resource titled "Sermons of <your name>"?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 5:41 PM

Dave Hooton:

Nathan Parker:

I need to rephrase what I said. Sermon files should be automatically copied from a live L3 installation or automatically downloaded. Did you check your Library for resource titled "Sermons of <your name>"?

Yeah, my resource isn't showing up.

Nathan Parker

Posts 26369
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 5:55 PM

Nathan Parker:

If you have a copy in "\Documents\Libronix Resource" (or another folder) you could use the scan <folder> Command to bring it in.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 15 2010 6:32 PM

Dave Hooton:

Nathan Parker:

If you have a copy in "\Documents\Libronix Resource" (or another folder) you could use the scan <folder> Command to bring it in.

Yeah, I can't find my Libronix Resources folder either. I guess I ditched it when upgrading to L4. Dang. Oh well, I'll just wait until the full Sermon File comes back in and import in my project files again. I can wait, no biggie. Thanks for all your help!

Nathan Parker

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS