Quick install on PC from Mac?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 66
Thomas Wooded | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 16 2010 9:46 AM

I just did an upgrade from Scholars to Gold. I'm using the Mac Beta6 for most of my day to day work.  Next time I open the PC version next, it will want to download all those resources and index the library.  Is there a way to copy the resources from my Mac side to the PC side to save some time?  Will it still need to index the library on the PC side?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo & 4GB RAM
MacOS 10.6.6 and Windows 7 Pro

Posts 25378
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 11:22 AM

Take a look at Method 3 which requires an index. I wouldn't try to copy the index structures between Mac and PC.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 66
Thomas Wooded | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 16 2010 7:03 PM

Dave Hooton:

Take a look at Method 3 which requires an index. I wouldn't try to copy the index structures between Mac and PC.

Thanks.  I guess I'll just have to do the PC side before I go to bed.  I have a high speed connection, so downloading about a gig of resources doesn't take too long compared to the hours of indexing.

MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo & 4GB RAM
MacOS 10.6.6 and Windows 7 Pro

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 17 2010 12:52 AM

I have copied the resources between the PC and Mac sides numerous times with no problems. It saves a tonne of download time and internet usage... especially as we have probably seen many gigs of updates this year.

Posts 2257
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 20 2010 1:42 PM

Hi Donovan,

Could you please elaborate on how to copy the L4 Windows resources when installing L4 Mac to eliminate or minimize download time? L4 Win uses a Scan command, how do you do it in L4 Mac. I am using Parallels 5 with winxp.

Thanks!

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 1:21 AM

Hi John,

I copy the resource folder from L4 Win running under Fusion and put a temporary copy of it on my desktop. (through the shared folder capability of Fusion) Then I use the scan command on L4 Mac:

scan /Users/dpalmer/desktop/Resources

Then close Logos 4 Mac and restart it.  When L4 restarts, it scans this temporary folder on my desktop and installs any new resources. After it has loaded all the new resources and indexes them, I delete the temporary folder on my desktop.

This has saved me countless hours, expense and trouble in running both L4 Mac and Win in West Africa.  Good internet connections are very hard to find and some of the resource updates have been MASSIVE.  As you know with L3 Win and L1 Mac, we used to be able to share the same resource directories, which negated this problem.

All this said, I can see the day coming when I won't be running L4 win any longer, so the need to run two copies of the same resources will be gone. :)

Hope this helps.

Donovan

Posts 2257
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 22 2010 5:54 AM

Donavan,

Thanks for the details. I knew there was a scan function, but did not know how to reference the file. Have you tried this using an alias to the windows drive rather than copying the file?

I have been reluctant to run the Mac L4, opting to use Parallels until Beta 7. I am new to the party, but agree that L4 Win will soon no longer be necessary.

Thanks again for the tip.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS