Final Release: How many more updates?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 100
Heath Choate | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 27 2010 8:11 AM

Since Logos 4 Mac has an official release date. One that is rapidly approaching. Can we expect an update a week? 2 weeks? When the Devs feel like it?

From Beta 8 How many more updates can we expect before Logos 4 Mac goes golden?

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Heath Choate:

Since Logos 4 Mac has an official release date. One that is rapidly approaching. Can we expect an update a week? 2 weeks? When the Devs feel like it?

Yes.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 8:16 AM

I don't think anything official has been said, but the last few releases have come at least once a week.

Posts 100
Heath Choate | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 8:32 AM

Cameron:

Can you please elaborate on your answer?

Particularly, what is the minimum number of Betas we will see?

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 8:55 AM

Heath Choate:

I think all they lack is finishing... 

Seriously though, updates have been regular and sometimes more than once a week. They are in the final tuning stages of the Beta. There are a few known issues that are due to be fixed on the next beta. But every change in the code risks a regression and new bugs to pop up. These things are not expected, but not surprising either. Such is the nature of programming. If all goes well, and the bugs are squashed, it wouldn't surprise me personally as a Beta user to see an RC within couple more weeks. There is though still some optimizations that can be done in the Graphical modules (Biblical Persons, Places and Things) that may or may not be addressed before Gold. I haven't heard anything official. I can say that the last few updates have resulted in serious improvements in other parts of the program. So this is definitely not out of the question. Predicting anything is pretty gutsy, and I don't think all the advertising would have been done if they weren't 99 percent sure of where they are. Here we are about a month from the date, and I am confident that completion is definitely at hand. The devs stated that after this they will take a breath and get back to 4.1. So I look forward to seeing the next Beta cycle after they get back from the Labor Day weekend. Wink

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 9:59 AM

Heath Choate:
Can you please elaborate on your answer?

Not really.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 152
Mike Strawn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 11:43 AM

Somehow I think people are missing the real issue - for Logos to stop calling the product Beta and call it a final release would be silly unless the product were ready for prime time. This would mean that all of the bugs that are reported with each Beta release would suddenly come to a screeching halt. That would indicate that the product is stable, fully tested, reliable, documented, only minor little issues that one would expect from any sound product. We are far from that state. I too am anxious - but it would be kinda foolish to just rush out of Beta for the sake of now calling the product a final release. 

My thoughts

Mike

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 12:01 PM

Mike Strawn:
This would mean that all of the bugs that are reported with each Beta release would suddenly come to a screeching halt

I think we are close to this as long as no new features are added. It seems that most of the problems are similar and if these bugs are smacked, we just might see them come to a screeching halt.

Mike Strawn:
for the sake of now calling the product a final release.

The first 'final release' (is that an oxymoron?) is not a complete product, but a stable release to allow customers to have some functionality to use from day to day, who would not want to Beta test. They will be feature incomplete in comparison to the Windows version. But by the time 4.1 is done, we should be parallel in features. At least that is their current goal.

I have noticed a lot of new posters lately. I am sure it has to with the recent advertisements going out. I bet a lot of people are excited, yet reluctant to jump in before the final release. I also suspect there are a lot of students trying to decide if they should go ahead and move to the Mac version or to wait a little longer. I would just be guessing, but the OP may have something similar in mind in starting this thread.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 27 2010 9:21 PM

Wiki page shows PC 4.1 Beta releases and Mac Beta releases leap frogging a bit => http://wiki.logos.com/The_Logos_4_Beta_Program

Cameron Watters:
Heath Choate:

Yes.

Yes Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS