serch for english from Greek or Hebrew word?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 237
Rick Ratzlaff | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 29 2010 7:00 AM

How can I find all the english words translated from the Greek word "meno"? I find this process very difficult.

Posts 2181
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 29 2010 7:26 AM

Go to Guides, open your Bible Word Study, type g:meno and select the Greek lemma that should pop up and hit enter:

Of course you could also click on search, open any of the english reverse interlinear bibles (eg. ESV) type g:meno, select the lemma and get a verse listing. By selecting the aligned view you can get a quick look or you can select analysis view and sort accordingly.

I  hope this gets you started.

Posts 5610
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 29 2010 7:28 AM

Use the "Morph" search and select a bible that has a reverse interlinear (I choose NASB in this case).  The type "lemma:meno".  Lemma is necessary to search the lemma (root) form of the word.  This will bring up a pick list with possible Greek versions.  Pick the correct one:

Then, the search will use the actual Greek word instead of the transliteration, and you will get your results:

Edit: John's way is better, but I'll leave mine for reference.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 237
Rick Ratzlaff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 7:23 AM

Thanks guys, you and this process is a real blessing. May God richly bless you as you help us less literate.

Posts 2372
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 5:17 AM

Per John Fidel’s post. [The second one in this thread] there is a circle of English words that a Greek word was translated to.  In that example the words ‘abide’, ‘remain’, ‘stay’ have BIG easy to click on segments [that English word is used many times]. Even ‘lived’ is big enough to put your mouse on. But is there a trick that I missed to open up the very very very small ones? [as in that English word is only used once]

The size of the section is determined by the count of times a Greek word is translated to that English word.  Where are the instructions (wiki or other) telling us how to selectively select the very small ones (the ones with one hit)?

Posts 13307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 5:44 AM

If you're accurate enough, it is possible to click on even the smallest slices. For medium-sized slices, you can also click on the english translations instead of the slice. I don't know of any other method (though a morph analysis search grouped by result would provide similar information)

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 7:03 AM

Mark Barnes:
(though a morph analysis search grouped by result would provide similar information)

Here's a screen-shot of Mark's thought Notice that I've dragged Result to the top and collapsed all to give an overview. One caution, there may be some extra information floating around in such an arrangement due to the way the RIs are structured.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS