Upgrade your OS if you haven't done so

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 31 2010 3:59 PM

Encouraged by a previous query here, I finally managed to pick up and upgrade to Snow Leopard. Long story short: if you haven't done it, do it. I'm not seeing a big boost on Logos 4 Mac, but the Mac runs so much better overall, you will be glad you did. The only downside was some extra installation time due to the fact that the DVDs are 10.6.3 and there's a 10.6.4 update now as well. (That'll teach me not to wait so long to upgrade Sad.)  

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 6:36 PM

Michael Ballai:
finally managed to pick up and upgrade to Snow Leopard. Long story short: if you haven't done it, do it. I'm not seeing a big boost on Logos 4 Mac, but the Mac runs so much better overall, you will be glad you did.

First, make sure that you have no critical applications that are incompatible with Snow Leopard. Our Database server crashes and can become corrupted under 10.6. 

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 7:09 PM

Good point Jack. FYI Older Mac applications that were designed for Power PC should be carefully noted. Rosetta, that allows for older OS X apps to run under Leopard and Snow Leopard, is turned off by default when installing Snow Leopard. Be sure to turn it on before installation if you still use them.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 6:06 AM

One other point on Snow Leopard: it takes up much less room on your hard drive than Leopard. It appears to have saved me about 10 Gigs which is substantial on my 80 Gig drive. Of course that means I will probably end up buying a larger Logos library....Wink 

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 7:31 AM

Michael Ballai:

One other point on Snow Leopard: it takes up much less room on your hard drive than Leopard. 

That may not be what you think. While on the one hand Snow Leopard does take up less space (about a gig), on the other hand it also changes how it reports file size. There are basically two ways that a computer might report hard drive size and/or free disk space. OS X used to use one way but, with Snow Leopard, now uses another. The new method reports more free space but you don't actually have more free space, it's just in how things are calculated.

See more details here: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10330509-263.html

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 4:54 PM

Interesting. MacPilot Lite shows the drive at its normal capacity, Snow Leopard isn't measuring that as a bigger drive as implied in the article. Not sure if they got their facts completely in order or Snow Leopard changed since they wrote the article.  Since I have my Mac tethered to my XP PC box on the network I looked at the volume rating showing up in Total Commander. While it's not quite as optimistic as what appears in Finder, I'm still looking at about 9-10 Gigs that weren't there before. YMMV.

Posts 452
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 10:06 AM

It was my understanding that Snow Leopard eliminated many files that were not necessary for Snow Leopard that may have been contained in Leopard. For example, several print drivers that are preinstalled. For me I got back 7 gigs of hard drive. Some I know as little as 1 gig back and others as much as 10 gigs. I updated back in December. For the most part I have been happy with the upgrade. There have been some minor issues of compatibility...all in all solid upgrade for the money!

all about Christ,

David Buckham

http://thinkspurlove.blogspot.com

Posts 100
Heath Choate | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 2 2010 12:02 PM

A small part of the savings is the way it is calculated. Some is the print drivers, the largest portions come from Snow Lepard being written in full 64 bit and the removing of code necessary in Leopard to run on Power PC architecture.

Snow Leopard is really awesome. If you use exchange at work you will really appreciate the intergration with Snow Leopard.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS