Question regarding Logos and the structure of a passage

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Posts 26105
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 1 2010 5:52 PM

Logos allows us a number of ways to study the structure of a passage - some through resources that do the work for us, some through the sentence diagramming function. I've come up with the following list of options:

• outlines (standard or alliterative)
  • flow diagrams (regular or mechanical)
  • ad hoc rhetorical device diagrams (chiasm, parallelism ...)
  • argument maps
  • arcing
  • sentence diagrams (Reed-Kellogg or tree)
  • clause analysis
  • discourse analysis

I have some questions: 1. Which Logos method do you use most? why is it your first choice? 2. Do you know other methods within Logos that I missed? 3. Do you know or use methods not available within Logos? Purpose of my "survey?" - to convince two friends that they should own Logos.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 1 2010 8:06 PM

These are the only ones I use in real life, when I don't have my beta tester hat on:

MJ. Smith:
  • outlines (standard or alliterative)
  • ad hoc rhetorical device diagrams (chiasm, parallelism ...)
  • I have beta tested sentence diagrams a wee bit, but I probably won't use them in my own Bible study. I was just trying to help Logos find bugs. As for all the other items in your list, I either don't know what they are (flow diagrams, argument maps, arcing) or don't know the original languages well enough to make use of them. I have ordered the discourse analysis video series in pre-pub and hope to learn something about that method and perhaps use it myself. I'm more interested in larger units of text anyway than looking at the details of how a particular sentence or clause is put together.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS