Reading list for Revelation

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 6 2010 7:41 PM

Some time ago there was a wonderful reading list (Rosie made it) from Revelation. What I really liked was that it also mentioned a lot of external resources - and a lot of websites with awesome pictures and paintings.

It seems that this reading list has been removed by another (made by logos) - internal links only. I'm not sure - but I can't find the other one. I would really like to have the links for the paintings/pictures - please, Rosie, could you provide these links again!

Posts 71
Brian Huddleston | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 8:08 PM

The Reading Lists have a web page that includes a History tab on the right side of the page.  Here is the link for the Book of Revelation.  Take a look at any of the entries prior to Aug 15 and you can review what Rosie had entered.  I'm not sure why the external resources were removed.  http://topics.logos.com/history.aspx?id=31f73341-7dec-407d-a7d8-17a86a878ff0

Wylie, TX

Posts 5899
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 8:10 PM

ELA:

Some time ago there was a wonderful reading list (Rosie made it) from Revelation. What I really liked was that it also mentioned a lot of external resources - and a lot of websites with awesome pictures and paintings.

It seems that this reading list has been removed by another (made by logos) - internal links only. I'm not sure - but I can't find the other one. I would really like to have the links for the paintings/pictures - please, Rosie, could you provide these links again!

You can access historical versions of reading lists from topics.logos.com. The following screenscast shows how to get back to the last edit Rosie did to this.

http://screencast.com/t/ZTljZWRkODk

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 8:54 PM

I am disappointed that so much of the content I worked to create was removed. I know it's still available in the history but I don't want to get into an editorial war with the Logos employees who have made the changes after I created the initial content. It could get contentious with a book such as Revelation. It appears they were merely trying to make its structure consistent with that of the other Bible book reading lists. But in the process, the casualty was removing some really solid content, however I can see how it might have been objected to because it's mostly from an amillennial and/or Anabaptist/Mennonite perspective and someone might have felt that it wasn't neutral enough. But they could have added other sources to give other perspectives rather than removing mine.

I will attempt to contact the person who made that change via email and see if there was some reason for removing my content or whether it was done accidentally. If the latter, I will restore it.

Essentially, what was removed was all of this stuff, much of which is linked to Logos resources. It was only a start. I was going to come back and add more journal articles as I discovered them.

Journal Articles

Other resources

Art & Music

External readings

• David Barr, ed., Reading the Book of Revelation (Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2003).
  • Richard Bauckham, The Theology of the Book of Revelation (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1993).
  • Marva Dawn, Joy in Our Weakness: A Gift of Hope from the Book of Revelation (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2002).
  • William Dumbrell, The End of the Beginning: Revelation 21-22 and the Old Testament (Homebush West, N.S.W.: Lancer Books, 1985).
  • Jacques Ellul, Apocalypse. The Book of Revelation., trans. George W. Schreiner (New York: Seabury Press, 1977).
  • Ted Grimsrud, Triumph of the Lamb (Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1987).
  • Colin Hemer, The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia in Their Local Setting (Sheffield: JSOT, 1986).
  • Wes Howard-Brook & Anthony Gwyther, Unveiling Empire: Reading Revelation Then and Now (Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1999).
  • Craig R. Koester, Revelation and the End of All Things (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2001).
  • Hanns Lilje, The Last Book of the Bible: The Meaning of the Revelation of St. John (Philadelphia: Muhlenberg Press, 1957).
  • Eugene H. Peterson, Reversed Thunder: The Revelation of John and the Praying Imagination (New York: HarperCollins, 1991).
  • William Mitchell Ramsay, The Letters to the Seven Churches (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 1994).
  • Barbara Rossing, The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation (Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 2004).
  • Paul Spilsbury, The Throne, The Lamb & The Dragon: A Reader’s Guide to the Book of Revelation (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2002).
  • John Stott, What Christ Thinks of the Church: An Exposition of Revelation 1-3 (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2003).

Incidentally, since I created that bibliography, this title which was not yet available in Logos has shown up in pre-pub as part of the William Mitchell Ramsay Collection:

• William Mitchell Ramsay, The Letters to the Seven Churches (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 1994).
    Posts 5899
    DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 9:31 PM

Rosie Perera:
    I am disappointed that so much of the content I worked to create was removed. I know it's still available in the history but I don't want to get into an editorial war with the Logos employees who have made the changes after I created the initial content. It could get contentious with a book such as Revelation. It appears they were merely trying to make its structure consistent with that of the other Bible book reading lists. But in the process, the casualty was removing some really solid content, however I can see how it might have been objected to because it's mostly from an amillennial and/or Anabaptist/Mennonite perspective and someone might have felt that it wasn't neutral enough. But they could have added other sources to give other perspectives rather than removing mine.

I hope it was just an oversight.  To remove other's links simply because they don't fit within the theological  framework of the current editor's perspective seems to go against the purpose of this resource in the first place, particularly when it is available in Logos format.  Hopefully it all works out.

Posts 33777
    Forum MVP
    MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 6 2010 9:34 PM

Rosie Perera:
    It appears they were merely trying to make its structure consistent with that of the other Bible book reading lists.

Looking at the history, I suspect that this may be a summer intern/new employee/new duty error. You may want to let Logos know so that they can review the other work of this individual. It then becomes between you and Logos whether they wish to restore your work or have you do it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 159
    ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:00 AM

Rosie, thank you for making the list available again. I really appreciate it.

Whatever the reason for removing the links  - exactly these links to websites as well as information about resources, whether Logos resources or 'external' resources, are also what make this forum so wonderful and unique.

When we are informed about external resources we may want and demand to have them in Logos also, so they really serve Logos. And they help us to use our own Logos books betters.

I can't believe the reasons for removing the links are theological. I think I already have plenty of amillennial material in my Logos library.

Posts 19333
    Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 11:59 AM

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
    It appears they were merely trying to make its structure consistent with that of the other Bible book reading lists.

Looking at the history, I suspect that this may be a summer intern/new employee/new duty error. You may want to let Logos know so that they can review the other work of this individual. It then becomes between you and Logos whether they wish to restore your work or have you do it.

You're probably right. I did find this person's email address by Googling around a bit. We'll see if I get a reply. If it was a summer intern, their term is probably over and the email will probably go unanswered.

You've done a lot of work on the reading lists. Is there someone in particular at Logos who supervises these or with whom you've dialogued about them whom I should contact?

Posts 33777
    Forum MVP
    MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 12:23 PM

Rosie Perera:
    Is there someone in particular at Logos who supervises these or with whom you've dialogued about them whom I should contact?

Phil Gons was the individual building many of the early entries testing out formats etc. I'd go through him.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15
    Annie O'Connor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 2:55 PM

Thank you for letting us know about this. I have reinserted the material.

I assure you its deletion was entirely accidental, and I apologize for the oversight.

Posts 19333
    Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 3:25 PM

Annie O'Connor:

I assure you its deletion was entirely accidental, and I apologize for the oversight.

Thanks! Smile

Posts 2855
    Forum MVP
    Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:23 AM

Annie O'Connor:

Okay I must be missing something or not doing something right. Rosie and a few others do not appear in the reading list from my Logos system. I am not sure what the problem is, as I guess taking words - you have reinserted the material back.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 33777
    Forum MVP
    MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:15 PM

Ted Hans:
    Okay I must be missing something or not doing something right

Only one name is given in the wiki page - usually that of the individual who started the list.

Posts 2855
    Forum MVP
    Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 12:56 PM

MJ. Smith:
    Only one name is given in the wiki page - usually that of the individual who started the list.

Thanks MJ, very helpful. I now understand.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 19333
    Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 5:53 PM

MJ. Smith:

Ted Hans:
    Okay I must be missing something or not doing something right

I started the list, so should I be listed as the author? I was for the first few iterations in the editing history. Annie O'Connor, a Logos employee, did a substantial amount of work on it too. She restored my content after admitting that she'd accidentally deleted it. It seems there ought to be the provision for multiple authors. I don't want to be possessive of the page, but I do intend to keep adding to it as I research more journal articles on the subject, and aquire more books once the Classic Commentaries and Studies on Revelation collection currently in pre-pub ships. I've taken three courses on Revelation and am in the midst of a long drawn-out preaching series on it, so it's an area I've done quite a bit of study on, though I'm by no means an expert. I'd be glad to have others add recommended resources from other perspectives to the external bibliography. I'm trying to catch everything that's already in Logos Portfolio, though, regardless of perspective.

Posts 5899
    DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 6:43 PM

Rosie Perera:
    I started the list, so should I be listed as the author?

Page History gives the gong to Admin....

Posts 33777
    Forum MVP
    MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:02 PM

Rosie Perera:
    I started the list, so should I be listed as the author?

I don't think there are any rules per se - only that there be an author. It makes sense to me that you take credit for your work.

Posts 662
    Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:03 PM

I am a little late to the party on topics.logos.com. How much of that stuff can be accessed through the reading lists?

Posts 33777
    Forum MVP
    MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:25 PM

Jeremy:
    How much of that stuff can be accessed through the reading lists?

The part that is seen only as topics is:

• alternative vocabulary
    • Bible citations
    • web links (if not duplicated in the reading list)

Posts 662
    Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 8 2010 7:35 PM

But Logos is working on getting the rest over?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS