Mac Hardware and Performance: i5, i7, Core 2 Duo

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 39
Joseph Fenton | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 7 2010 8:39 AM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what everyone was using as Mac laptops in terms of processors and if the Core 2 Duo processed just as fast as the i5.  I ask because I heard that unless the program is written to specifically use the i5 benefits, it will process just as fast with the Core 2 Duo.  Is this true in your experience.  I would love to get a laptop - Logos4 is a pig for processing and I just want to get a unit that will handle it with ease.  Currently my iMac gets swamped when Logos4 goes to work :-( 

Cheers!

Joe

Posts 55
Dave Souers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 9:05 AM

I heard that L4 was being written on the i7 processors, (The guys at Logos will have to verify) so I would assume that if you had an i5 or i7 you would be better suited, but my core 2 duo with 4gb of ram does a pretty good job. But you know what they say about people who assume. 

Dave

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 9:10 AM

Joseph Fenton:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what everyone was using as Mac laptops in terms of processors and if the Core 2 Duo processed just as fast as the i5.  I ask because I heard that unless the program is written to specifically use the i5 benefits, it will process just as fast with the Core 2 Duo.  Is this true in your experience.  I would love to get a laptop - Logos4 is a pig for processing and I just want to get a unit that will handle it with ease.  Currently my iMac gets swamped when Logos4 goes to work :-( 

Cheers!

Joe

I have a i7 processer and it works GREAT. Its runs really good, the only issues are L4 issues. But it runs really good.

Posts 39
Joseph Fenton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 9:30 AM

Hey Dave,

What is the speed of your Core 2 Duo?

Posts 1534
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 9:33 AM

I have a new i5 2.8Ghz quad-core iMac, and L4 runs great, particularly compared with my old 1.83Ghz Macbook and 2.4Ghz 7-yr old Dell desktop.

I should point out, perhaps, that I rarely use reports or the home page, don't have extensive notes or markups, and only own 587 resources. (Never bought a package.) YMMV.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 55
Dave Souers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 6:54 PM

I have a 2.4 GHz core two duo. I know there are even faster out there. I will confess that I am looking at the new macbook pro's with the i7, trying to find some reason that my 2 year old macbook is no longer sufficient. Sadly, I can't justify the money with the wife yet. I'm ready to sell her PC for scrap and give her mine so I can upgrade. She doesn't care about technology, so she would be happy with my Macbook now. 

Dave

Posts 2689
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 7:09 PM

I'm using an older Mac Mini 1.83 Core 2 and L4 seems to run OK on it with just my 2G RAM. It is definitely better since I went to Snow Leopard. I'm pretty sure even the new Mac Mini with some more RAM would still be a decent L4 box. If nothing else, add RAM if possible.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 7 2010 8:15 PM

Dave Souers:

I have a 2.4 GHz core two duo. I know there are even faster out there. I will confess that I am looking at the new macbook pro's with the i7, trying to find some reason that my 2 year old macbook is no longer sufficient. Sadly, I can't justify the money with the wife yet. I'm ready to sell her PC for scrap and give her mine so I can upgrade. She doesn't care about technology, so she would be happy with my Macbook now. 

Bare Feats has some performance comparisons between MacBook Pro i7, i5, and Core 2 Duo (c2d) => http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp25.html

Difference between desktop i7 and i5 more dramatic than MacBook Pro => http://www.barefeats.com/imac10v.html

Apple's online Store has several refurbished Mac's => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Current generation MacBook Pro's have NVidia GeForce 320M or GT 330M graphics (several models available with nice discount).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS