Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 62
James R. Adams | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 8 2010 11:09 PM

I so appreciate all you are doing to produce a great product. As a "Beta Tester" Geeked perhaps I should be more fluent with programming terms (!?), but I have no idea what this Beta 11 Release Note means: "Copy data onto pasteboard APXL data first, allowing paste into Pages to use preferred APXL format to show footnotes properly." (I was so excited to try pasting into a Pages so I could see the citation reference show up in a footnote automatically. Apparently, I misunderstood.)

Anyone: What is this feature (layman's terms, please) and what does it do for us? Thanks.

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 7:13 AM

Long answer: http://developer.apple.com/appleapplications/keynote-apxl.html

Short answer is that it is the Apple document format specification so it allows rich pasting into Pages or Numbers.

Posts 55
Seth I. Grotzke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 7:29 AM

So, how do I do that? Or is that something that is being done that I don't see?

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 7:55 AM

S.I. Grotzke:

So, how do I do that? Or is that something that is being done that I don't see?

Use the Copy Bible pane setup like this:

Then simply paste into Pages.

Posts 62
James R. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 2:14 PM

Robert Mullen:

Use the Copy Bible pane setup . . . Then simply paste into Pages.

Thanks Robert. But what I was hoping for was that citations from other sources (Dictionaries, Commentaries, etc.) would be footnoted. (That was my hope for the meaning of the mysterious - to me - APXL reference.)

Back in the day when I used Windows + Word for the sole purpose of running Logos/Libronix, that was how it worked. The footnotes magically appeared with a simple Control + "v"! Seems like I've heard that Apple/Pages are the problem and that the fine people of Logos would make this feature available if Apple would cooperate. Don't know if there is any hope that this might actually change in the near future. (?)

Posts 5337
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 2:22 PM

James R. Adams:
Back in the day when I used Windows + Word for the sole purpose of running Logos/Libronix, that was how it worked. The footnotes magically appeared with a simple Control + "v"! Seems like I've heard that Apple/Pages are the problem and that the fine people of Logos would make this feature available if Apple would cooperate

<tongue-in-cheek>An admission Windows does something better than MAC OS X ? I'd better print this out and stick it on the Fridge. I've always been told MAC's just work Devil. </tongue-in-cheek>

Jokes aside I do hope if this is an issue there is a resolution of this for MAC users sooner rather than later.

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 2:58 PM

James R. Adams:

Thanks Robert. But what I was hoping for was that citations from other sources (Dictionaries, Commentaries, etc.) would be footnoted. (That was my hope for the meaning of the mysterious - to me - APXL reference.)

Back in the day when I used Windows + Word for the sole purpose of running Logos/Libronix, that was how it worked. The footnotes magically appeared with a simple Control + "v"! Seems like I've heard that Apple/Pages are the problem and that the fine people of Logos would make this feature available if Apple would cooperate. Don't know if there is any hope that this might actually change in the near future. (?)

I think I am still missing something. If I go to say Moo's commentary on Roman's, select a section, copy, open Pages, then paste I get a Footnote with the source. Is that what you are asking? Sorry if I am missing the fundamental point of your question. APXL will allow the structure of footnoting into Pages regardless what the source material is. Logos has to implement it in each case but it appears they have. Huh?

Posts 62
James R. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 3:22 PM

Robert: Perhaps I'm the one missing something. I am attempting this with Pages '08. From your screenshot, I'm guessing you are using '09. Is that what I'm missing? (Because it still doesn't work for me.)

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 4:50 PM

James R. Adams:
Robert: Perhaps I'm the one missing something. I am attempting this with Pages '08. From your screenshot, I'm guessing you are using '09. Is that what I'm missing? (Because it still doesn't work for me.)

That is what you're missing.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 62
James R. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 10:15 PM

David Mitchell:

James R. Adams:

That is what you're missing.

Could it be that it's not that simple? I downloaded a trial of iWorks 09 so I could try this. Opened one of the Expositors Commentaries, selected some text, copied, then pasted into Pages 09. No footnotes. So what else am I missing?

Posts 13
AG | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 5:21 AM

I agree!

It's not that simple.

I have Pages '09 and L4 Beta 11. The footnoting function on copy-n-paste hasn't worked properly for me for several Beta versions now. I'm certain which was the last version that it did work in. But it is definitely not working now - EXCEPT for copy Bible Text as indicated in the above discussion.

Have some settings changed?

Is there some default setting that needs to be changed by me (& James et. al.)?

I tried changing the citation style etc (I prefer Harvard - and that was working in an earlier Beta) but now none of the option make any difference. I can't identify any other settings that might be affecting it from my end as the user.

Al

Posts 4804
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 8:22 AM

Albert Garlando:
Is there some default setting that needs to be changed by me (& James et. al.)?

I think that this is more resource based than setting based.

Isaiah and Introduction and Commentary works for me but the Expositors Bible Commentary does not.

Do you find the same failure in all your resources including the newer ones?

Posts 75
Glenn Gervais (google) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 8:32 AM

Are you copying from the commentary or from the Copy Bible Verses panel?

I've opened 3 different "Expositions of Holy Scripture: ..." commentaries and have not found any footnotes in the commentary text

If you select and right click Copy, that will copy your selection (from the commentary)

If you use the Copy Bible Verses panel, it will not copy your commentary text, it will copy your bible text

Posts 62
James R. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 9:37 AM

I've had no problem getting footnotes when using Copy Bible. However, I have no need for footnotes from the Bible. That isn't the issue. The issue is that I copy/paste from other resources as I study and want citations from those books in my footnotes. 

Mike Binks has nailed it. (Tootle pip indeed, my friend, you are right-on once again). Auto-footnoting seems to work with some resources and not with others.

Examples of resources that do not footnote properly:

• Holloway, G. (1996). James & Jude. The College press NIV commentary. Joplin, Mo.: College Press Pub.
  • Elwell, W. A., & Yarbrough, R. W. (2005). Encountering the New Testament : A historical and theological survey (Second Edition). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic.

I don't think I would call these "older" resources. But maybe that's because I am myself an "older resource."

Examples of resources that generate citations in footnotes properly:
  • Marshall, I. H. (1991). 1 Peter. The IVP New Testament commentary series. Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press.
  • Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). Be amazed. Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.

This, of course, raises an important question: Is this "fixable?" If so, (and I'm afraid I already know the non-answer to this), when?

Posts 75
Glenn Gervais (google) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 11:05 AM

James R. Adams:
I've had no problem getting footnotes when using Copy Bible. However, I have no need for footnotes from the Bible. That isn't the issue. The issue is that I copy/paste from other resources as I study and want citations from those books in my footnotes. 

Thanks for the clarification. I can reproduce this and am trying to track down the cause.

Posts 13
AG | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 4:47 PM

Not sure which are "newer"

I have the Platinum set - but YES, I played a bit just now and some resources include the footnoted citation and some do not.

One which does not is the Baker New Testament Commentary.

The Baker Exegetical Commentary does, however.

Posts 62
James R. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 11 2010 10:38 AM

Glenn,

I just noticed that if I make a Clipping from one of the resources that don't generate footnotes in Pages 09 - all the bibliographic info including page numbers is present in the info section of that Clipping (small "i" bottom right). So somehow the citation info makes it properly into a Clipping, but not into Pages. You probably knew that already, but I'm trying to be helpful just in case.

Posts 13
Adrian Warnock | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 11 2010 10:53 AM

Again it works for me in some resources (eg Baker NT commentary, Romans) and not others eg 131 christians you should know.

If you use word or one of the free word clones (eg neo-office) this will work for you all the time until such time as they get pages to play nicely!

Posts 62
James R. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 9:21 AM

Glenn,

Just thought I'd let you know that with RC2 and then RC3, the footnoting seems to be working properly in Pages '09. Thanks!

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 9:27 AM

Yes, Glenn did some great work on that code in RC2.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS