Dictionary of Major Biblical Interpreters - Almost there!

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 9 2010 3:27 PM

Dictionary of Major Biblical Interpreters

Edited by Donald K McKim

A dictionary on Interpreters?

Yes, over 200 articles on Biblical Interpreters themselves, including biography, historical context, written in article format, and a great search resource in Logos format.

This looks somewhat familiar?

Yes, it is a second run that dramatically improves upon The Historical Handbook of Major Biblical Interpreters released in 1998.  The Dictionary is larger than the Hanbook by just under 500 pages at 1,134 pages.  The Dictionary increased its coverage of Interpreters self admitedly from over 100 articles on Biblical interpreters to over 200 articles.

Why $29.95 in Pre-pub?

I haven't figured this out yet.  This price is lower than on the publisher's website, lower than many major competitors' prices, and currently even lower in Logos than the older resource it improves upon.  I flipped through a hardback copy in the bookstore and could have easily knocked a rather large man out with it.  (This potential test screams Logos format advantage).  We can be close to sure of a price increase once it moves into development

Link to the pre-pub page

Ready? Set? Go!

Posts 19122
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 3:50 PM

Yeehaw!! I've been in since Feb 16. Would love to see this one go all the way to 100% soon. Looks like a tremendous resource, at a great price!

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 3:57 PM

I believe I just saw it jump two spots over Lives of the Puritans and the Peter J. Leithart Collection.  If I didn't have class I would call this one play by play! Stick out tongue  Everyone who pre-orders now is locking in an incredible price for an informative resource!!

Posts 99
Greg B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 7:45 PM

Thanks for the heads-up.  I just put in my pre-pub.  Scrolling through that list, I still can't believe I got Catena Aurea for $14 - I love community pricing.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 7:46 PM

From the previous post to now DMBI has jumped another 8 pre-pubs to land 15th from the top of the gathering interest list.  (There isn't really a ranking  but it is definitely gaining momentum toward development)

*Edit* - Thanks Greg - and man did I missed out on that Thomas Aquinas work.  The pre-pub price isn't horrible, but it isn't $14 Tongue Tied

Posts 30879
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 9 2010 9:45 PM

Paul Newsome:
The Dictionary increased its coverage of Interpreters self admitedly from over 100 articles on Biblical interpreters to over 200 articles.

And, of course, you are all waiting for me to ask - does it include Rashi?Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19122
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 12:16 AM

MJ. Smith:

Paul Newsome:
The Dictionary increased its coverage of Interpreters self admitedly from over 100 articles on Biblical interpreters to over 200 articles.

And, of course, you are all waiting for me to ask - does it include Rashi?Big Smile

There are a few minor mentions of him, but he's not even included in the index!!  Here are the most significant mentions:

However you can get a good look at the content of the book in preview on Amazon.com by searching for random stuff and paging back and forth from the pages where the hits were found. 

Posts 30879
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 12:33 AM

Rosie Perera:
There are a few minor mentions of him, but he's not even included in the index!!

Shall I pretend to take solace in Paul Ricoeur? As in music and literature my tastes run to the old and the new, omitting the middle.Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:30 PM

Bump,

Although other resources have also been gaining interest, there has been a huge response to DMBI in the last 24 hours.  (I believe it has jumped another 8 spots to 7th from the top from around 25th)  If you haven't already signed up do so soon and after the 'gathering interest' bar is full we could see it in development by Monday morning!

BTW thanks for all those who have signed up.

Posts 99
Greg B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 11 2010 7:25 AM

Paul Newsome:

From the previous post to now DMBI has jumped another 8 pre-pubs to land 15th from the top of the gathering interest list.  (There isn't really a ranking  but it is definitely gaining momentum toward development)

When I go to the pre-pub page and click on "sort by ship date" and jump to "gathering interest", it looks like the list is indeed ranked by closest to 100%.  Looking this morning it is at #8.

Greg

Posts 24
Jason Rogers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 11 2010 8:03 AM

Well done Paul, I took the bait Big Smile.  Looks to be an interesting resource for a nice price.

Posts 3898
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 11 2010 10:01 AM

Been on it since early 2010, can't wait (welll, i guess I "can.") for it to get into production.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 11 2010 4:37 PM

Thanks Greg, Jason, and Dan.  I still think we can have this on the Logos door step before the Monday morning paper!  I guess we can say with even more accuracy now "Almost there!" 

Posts 19122
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 11 2010 9:41 PM

It looks like it's at 100% now (fifth one down -- several others in that state now, too). Either it needs just one or two more orders to get over the top, or it needs human intervention on Monday morning to move over to "Under Development" status. Yay!

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 7:45 AM

Rosie Perera:

It looks like it's at 100% now (fifth one down -- several others in that state now, too). Either it needs just one or two more orders to get over the top, or it needs human intervention on Monday morning to move over to "Under Development" status. Yay!

I think you're right Rosie, the powers that be at Logos probably move it over manually to the "In Development" stage.  Its also incredible that 6 resources are waiting on that list!  Thats half the number of pre-pubs that were introduced for the month of September (which was huge too!)

Posts 19122
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 9:44 AM

Paul Newsome:

I think you're right Rosie, the powers that be at Logos probably move it over manually to the "In Development" stage.  Its also incredible that 6 resources are waiting on that list!  Thats half the number of pre-pubs that were introduced for the month of September (which was huge too!)

And all six of those are books that I've ordered, so I'm pleased. Now I'm shifting my attention to the next two items down on the "Gathering Interest" list, also ones I've ordered, which both look like they're at about 95% -- Continuum Near Eastern History Collection (13 Vols.) and Reel Spirituality: Theology and Film in Dialogue, 2nd ed.

Posts 99
Greg B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 7:07 PM

Congratulations Paul - You got it to Under Development

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:04 AM

Does anyone have any insight into how this compares to other similar works? I want something that's strong on Patristic, Jewish and Catholic interpretation, plus the major mainstream Protestants. And which doesn't completely omit the smaller European countries and the entire Third World. Not too Evangelical, and not too American.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19122
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:08 AM

fgh:

Does anyone have any insight into how this compares to other similar works? I want something that's strong on Patristic, Jewish and Catholic interpretation, plus the major mainstream Protestants. And which doesn't completely omit the smaller European countries and the entire Third World. Not too Evangelical, and not too American.

Don't know about similar works, but as I mentioned above you can get a good look at the content of the book in preview on Amazon.com by searching for random stuff and paging back and forth from the pages where the hits were found. So pick some favorite intepreters and see how many search hits you get in the book for an idea of what the coverage is. Or look in the index which is completely visible in the preview.

Posts 30879
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 1:24 PM

fgh:
strong on Patristic, Jewish and Catholic interpretation

See above on Rashi ...Sad

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS