Lexham Hebrew Interlinear Question

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 12 2010 7:05 PM

Question: What does the DIR mean below? I see it from time to time in the LHI but haven't been able to figure out what it means...though I have some ideas. There is no mention of it in the introduction.

סֻכֹּתָה
סכות
Succoth DIR
Succoth DIR
NPCPFN-H

Thanks.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 7:24 PM

Could it stand for a Directional Heh?

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 7:31 PM

David Paul:

Question: What does the DIR mean below? I see it from time to time in the LHI but haven't been able to figure out what it means...though I have some ideas. There is no mention of it in the introduction.

סֻכֹּתָה
סכות
Succoth DIR
Succoth DIR
NPCPFN-H

Thanks.

I found an instance of סֻכֹּתָה in LHI and it comes with the parsing info that it has a "locative ה" ending (you'll see that info if you hover the mouse over the Hebrew word in the LHI). So that means it is translated "toward Succoth."  I'm guessing DIR is an abbreviation for "direction" or "directional." To test that theory, I did a Morph search in LHI for nouns with "locative ה" ending (@N??????H). Indeed, they all seem to have DIR after them in the Lexical value and English literal translation lines. So that's apparently what it means. I'm not sure why it's not listed in the Abbreviations at the beginning of the book. Have you noticed any other such capitalized abbreviations in the text, or just this one? 

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 7:52 PM

As in Locative suffix to indicate Direction or goal of movement (from H in the morphology).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 8:09 PM

Hey Rosie,

I think I have seen one or two other notations in LHI in the past that are not "explained" in the intro notes, but I can't recall now just what they were. I noticed the locative suffix too, added to this word when used to name the town (trans. as Succoth), as opposed to the word sukhkotth which simply means "temporary shelter" or "booth". Your explanation may be correct. I was wondering if perhaps DIR meant "direct object" when the את one might expect to precede it isn't present. Either way, I would like for someone with definitive knowledge to confirm your theory or my hunch.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 8:11 PM

Okay...thanks Dave & thanks Rosie. Makes sense. NEEDS TO BE EXPLAINED IN THE INTRO NOTES OF THE RESOURCE.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 12 2010 8:58 PM

I was reading up on this too, and according to C.L. Seow's "A Grammar For Biblical Hebrew" a qamets (small "T" under the second to the last letter) combined with a "Heh" makes it a Directional Heh or a Directive Heh.

It is commonly added to common nouns (with or without the definite article) as well as proper nouns (or even adverbs) to show the movement toward.

Less frequently used after a prepositional phrase to indicate movement in any direction

*of course as with all languages there are exceptions and omissions! Confused Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS