Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 52 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1716
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 8:44 AM

Andrew McKenzie:
Is it time for Logos speaks ? 

Sorry... traveling... again!

We're very much aware of the need to improve linking in the books. We're working on updating the books on  aregular basis, working through them in the order of how many people they have and how much improvement they need. The first priority is metadata, then "data type" linking, then (lastly) the big problem: linking to books without data types. (In other words, linking bibliographies and references to books by name and page number.)

We've invested a lot in this last problem, and are presently finishing pseudo-automated tools to help facilitate that linking. Then we'll be able to do yet another pass to light up those links.

We also hold some updated books for "batch release", to minimize downloading/re-indexing sessions. Look for continued improvements over the next six months.

-- Bob

Posts 19124
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 9:06 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Andrew McKenzie:

We're very much aware of the need to improve linking in the books. We're working on updating the books on  aregular basis, working through them in the order of how many people they have and how much improvement they need. The first priority is metadata, then "data type" linking, then (lastly) the big problem: linking to books without data types. (In other words, linking bibliographies and references to books by name and page number.)

We've invested a lot in this last problem, and are presently finishing pseudo-automated tools to help facilitate that linking. Then we'll be able to do yet another pass to light up those links.

We also hold some updated books for "batch release", to minimize downloading/re-indexing sessions. Look for continued improvements over the next six months.

-- Bob

Thank you, Bob!

How about typo fixing? There are people reporting that there have been typos they reported 5 years ago which still haven't been fixed yet. Are those on a similar schedule of only fixing typos in the books owned by the greatest number of people first? Fixing typos seems like the kind of work that could be done by a summer intern, and one person could probably blow through a big backlog of them in a month or two. Maybe I'm grossly underestimating how many of those "Report Typo" reports you guys get, and maybe some of them are getting fixed. But I haven't noticed any of the ones I've reported in the past year being fixed yet. I've kept track of them all with a special highlighting style.

Posts 30985
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 12:42 PM

Mark Barnes:
crowd-sourcing is an ideal way to develop electronic texts.

Mark, it's not your post that raised this question ... but you had an easy quote to capture. How many of us on this thread assisted the CCEL in developing their library? What does that experience teach you about crowd sourcing?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5505
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 2:28 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Andrew McKenzie:

-- Bob

Thanks for the response.  I felt as if we were running around in circles of personal speculation and assumption.

Posts 19124
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 4:17 PM

MJ. Smith:

Mark Barnes:
crowd-sourcing is an ideal way to develop electronic texts.

Mark, it's not your post that raised this question ... but you had an easy quote to capture. How many of us on this thread assisted the CCEL in developing their library? What does that experience teach you about crowd sourcing?

I didn't, but I'm sure many well-meaning and earnest, diligent people did. But the texts out there are on the whole...um...full of typos. There's just no quality control when you've got that many people -- volunteers, no less -- working on something.

Posts 30985
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:16 PM

Rosie Perera:
I didn't, but I'm sure many well-meaning and earnest, diligent people did. But the texts out there are on the whole...um...full of typos.

I did and your evaluation of the results is accurate. My sister is a professional proof-reader - believe me, tagging and proof-reading require very specific skills that most of us don't have.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 6:21 PM

MJ. Smith:
I did and your evaluation of the results is accurate. My sister is a professional proof-reader - believe me, tagging and proof-reading require very specific skills that most of us don't have.

True, but well designed software can make a big difference. CCEL didn't have that.

Posts 8659
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 10:29 AM

Andrew McKenzie:
I felt as if we were running around in circles of personal speculation and assumption.

That happens a lot here.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 11:28 AM

Bob Pritchett:
We're working on updating the books on aregular basis

aregular = non-regular? Stick out tongue

Just kidding, thanks for the update Bob.

Posts 3728
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 1:39 PM

Thomas Black:

Andrew McKenzie:
I felt as if we were running around in circles of personal speculation and assumption.

That happens a lot here.

At least we get our exercise! Big Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 12 2011 12:06 PM

Does anyone know how this effort is going; it sounds like there might be automation tools being built to automatically generate the proper links?

God bless you and keep you,
Ken

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 12 2011 2:29 PM

Ken Avery:

Does anyone know how this effort is going; it sounds like there might be automation tools being built to automatically generate the proper links?

Ken

This is the most recent, official "update" that I'm aware of: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/33998.aspx

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 12 2011 3:27 PM

Ron,

Thanks for the info, it sounds encouraging :)

Ken

Page 3 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS