Printing out of Logos for Mac

Page 1 of 4 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 19
Rich | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 19 2010 6:42 PM

Anybody know how to print something?  I created a Note and can't seem to find a print command anywhere.  In fact, since I couldn't find one to print a note I decided to try to print something else.  Seems no matter what I have active, there is no print option anywhere.  I will say I do not have a printer hooked up, but I should still be able to print to PDF.  At least I would think so.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 6:44 PM

Logos 4 Mac doesn't have printing support yet. The Windows version has printing in beta testing and is expected to be released soon with Mac printing surely to follow soon.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 7:59 PM

While waiting for Logos 4 Mac printing functionality to be added/exposed, couple viable workarounds:

* Screen capture to clipboard - Preview: New from Clipboard - annotate as desired - can save file as well as print.

* Copy and paste works - Pages, OpenOffice, NeoOffice, Microsoft Office, and Mellel can save and print (to name several word processors available for Mac OS X - couple free).  Logos 4 Tools => Copy Bible Verses => many format options along with ability to include footnotes.  Wiki => http://wiki.logos.com/Copy_Bible_Verses

Another option is running Logos 4 PC in a Windows Virtual Machine - Wiki page => http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Mac

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 6
Dan Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:04 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!!  YOU CAN'T PRINT!!!???!?!  You have got to be kidding me!!??!?!?!  HOW in the world can you have a software program that DOESN'T PRINT!!?!?!?!!!  Especially after spending all that money on it.   UNBELIEVABLE...

Posts 19
Rich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:14 PM

yeah, nice uh?  seems like that would have been made public prior to me spending $400.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:15 PM

Dan Taylor:
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!!  YOU CAN'T PRINT!!!???!?!  You have got to be kidding me!!??!?!?!  HOW in the world can you have a software program that DOESN'T PRINT!!?!?!?!!!  Especially after spending all that money on it.   UNBELIEVABLE...

Printing is becoming less and less of a must-have feature in 1.0 products (take, for example, the iPad: printing support won't be available until November). While we understand that a certain subset of our users care very deeply about this feature, and we do intend to support it, we did not feel that it was necessary to delay releasing the product to all of the users who don't want or need it in order to implement the feature.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:17 PM

Richard Duncan:
yeah, nice uh?  seems like that would have been made public prior to me spending $400.

It's been listed on this page ever since the release of Logos 4 for Windows last November. If you did not find that page while you were making your purchasing decision and you feel that you have not gotten a product worth the money you spent on it, I'm sure that customer service would be happy to provide you with a refund.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:18 PM

Dan Taylor:
HOW in the world can you have a software program that DOESN'T PRINT!!?!?!?!!!

Evidently without any trouble and, thus far, most users are fine with it. I'm among those that look forward to printing coming to the Mac, but nonetheless I've done fine without it. It is coming, it's available on the PC, it will make it to the Mac before too long.

Richard Duncan:

In what way has it not been made public? It hasn't exactly been hidden. No software is going to advertise itself with a list of what the software can't do, but anyone looking at the forums or around the web shouldn't have any trouble learning what Logos can and cannot do. Discussions about printing are frequent enough that it shouldn't take long to accidentally learn that printing isn't currently possible. And if one goes looking specifically for pros/cons, info about printing should be easy to find.

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Chris Roberts:
It is coming, it's available on the PC
Currently, the level of printing most people are talking about is only available in the latest Windows beta version, not in their stable release.
Chris Roberts:
No software is going to advertise itself with a list of what the software can't do
Actually, we do: http://www.logos.com/4/missingfeatures and item #4 in the FAQ here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6747.aspx

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 19
Rich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:42 PM

you're kidding me, right?  If you decide to by MS Word, you're not going to assume it can print??  What productivity computer program, outside Logos, can't print?

I also can't believe you expect people to go read a company's forums before buying their software??  Did you go to Microsoft's forums to research whether or not it could print?  I doubt it.  I doubt you went to MS's forums to research anything about the latest version of Word you purchased.  Why, you assumed at the get go it could perform a basic function that all programs take for granted in the 21st century. All humanity does!  Gee, I feel like my intelligence is seriously being insulted here.

I based my decision on the advertisements Logos produced to sell the product.  You know, the videos and other marketing tools put up on the website?

"hasn't exactly been hidden".  That is funny!  Of course no software is going to advertise itself with a list of what the software can't do....but we're talking PRINTING!!  You can seriously sit there with a straight face and argue a point with that kind of reasoning?  Unbelievable!  Sorry, I have to stop here and let it be.  The more I read comments like yours the more I feel like I'm listening to a used car dealer.

Posts 19
Rich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:46 PM

David,

I have considered it.  But, I don't really feel like going through the hassel.  Plus, I do like the software. I've also already spent considerable amount of time learning Logos.  Plus, it is a Mac version!  Don't think BIble Works has a Mac version.  I have accordance, but don't like it much.  So, I'll have to just wait.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:50 PM

Richard Duncan:
The more I read comments like yours the more I feel like I'm listening to a used car dealer.

As I've already indicated, if you're that unsatisfied with your purchase, customer service will be happy to provide you with a refund, an offer that I have yet to receive from a used car dealer.

Richard Duncan:
 What productivity computer program, outside Logos, can't print?

Pages for iPad, for one (printing support is coming in November).

Also, as already stated, Printing is available in the beta for the next version of Logos 4 for Windows, and we will be adding it on the Macintosh at some point in the future, as well. The vast majority of our users have not been unduly hobbled by our lack of printing support, given the wide range of word processing software available and the ability to copy and paste from our app into other programs. However, if this is not a sufficient solution for you, by all means, please call customer service in the morning and request a refund.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Richard Duncan:
I also can't believe you expect people to go read a company's forums before buying their software?

Nope. I don't think anything I said implied that I (or Logos) expect anyone to read our forums before they buy our product. I was merely pointing out to Chris that we do, in fact, openly declare lists of features we haven't implemented.

I think the most useful response in this thread so far is David's response above, where he says:

David Mitchell:
we did not feel that it was necessary to delay releasing the product to all of the users who don't want or need it in order to implement the feature.

So, that's really what it comes down to. At some point, we needed to ship. The list of things that we could ship was massive, particularly compared to our previous Mac version (Libronix 1.2.2). Given the fact that the stable release of our Windows version also doesn't print, it would've been silly for us to delay release until printing was enabled.

I think it's also important to make sure that we understand we're not talking about whether or not our product should ever print. We're talking about whether or not we should've delayed releasing it until printing was implemented. Nobody has yet, that I'm aware of, asserted that we should not implement printing.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 5:23 PM

Richard Duncan:
you're kidding me, right?  If you decide to by MS Word, you're not going to assume it can print??  What productivity computer program, outside Logos, can't print?

I somewhat understand the surprise although probably not the level of frustration you seem to be feeling. One additional thing to keep in mind is that the Kindle apps don't print (at least not that I am aware of) and I think some of that is intentional. There is going to be some level of concern a publisher would have when printing something that has DRM protected, copyrighted material.Not may people would print a book to paper and pass out copies of it but it would be very easy to print a book to PDF and put it on the internet. I am not sure if this entered into the discussion at Logos but I throw the point out to demonstrate that the situation is not quite as simple as it might seem on the surface and not really that comparable to Word.

I have played with printing on the Windows side (only a tiny bit though) and I think the entire issue will be moot soon.

Posts 45
Jesse Frame | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 5:26 PM

so, this hasnt been the first gripe about being able to print (and probably wont be the last)

my big question is this: WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY WANT TO PRINT SO BADLY THAT COPY/PASTE ISNT SUITABLE?

Jesse FrameNew Mission Systems International, Australia

Posts 116
B. J. Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 7:46 PM

Richard,

Since you are planning to keep the software, run a passage guide on Colossians 4:6.Wink 

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 12:21 AM

Jesse Frame:
my big question is this: WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY WANT TO PRINT SO BADLY THAT COPY/PASTE ISNT SUITABLE?

I have also asked this before!

I look at notes files and think what would I do with this if I printed it?

If I want to have an extract from a resource why would I want it sitting on a piece of paper on its own - I would only ever use it in context - ie Copy and Paste are the tools for the job.

Jesse's question and mine, which somebody might be gracious enough to answer, is not just thrown to the wind!

As the facility is not yet developed, knowing what is expected by users will help the programers meet aspirations.

If we are missing some great opportunity to get better use from the program that printing would give us then it would be a kindness to explain what this is.

Surely we are not asking for a print facility just because 'programs print'  –there must be some practical use for the end result.?

Perhaps somebody wants to print out their library?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 156
Andrew Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 3:06 AM

I have been using Logos for 8 months now. The lack of printing has never been an issue for me. The only time I have printed is to meditate on a passage and annotate my observations. I do this by copy and paste into pages.

Not an issue.

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 3:31 PM

A couple of the areas where printing within Logos is more beneficial than cut and paste is that:

a) Time - pastors purchase Logos to save time (a huge selling point for Logos); therefore, if I don't have to cut and paste, a pastor saves time

b) Correct Greek and Hebrew font rendition vs. having to use some word processing software to correctly depict foreign language letters

I am sure there are more, but these are key.

I was certainly surprised printing was not included in the Logos 4 package; however, I have had to live with it by default, not because I want to.

There is a huge push in the environmental conservation and other secular movements to go "paperless."  However, this is simply unrealistic since the paramount purpose of God's Word is to get it communicated to the lost, as well as believers.  Logos helps to do this definitely, but it is not the sole source of this communication and should make every effort to provide as many avenues of communicating the word, most of all the printed word, to its customers who are those trained, training or seeking to understand and communicate God's Word better to the lost and growing believers.

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 3:43 PM

Mike Binks:
As the facility is not yet developed, knowing what is expected by users will help the programers meet aspirations.

Actually the printing facility is fully developed on the recent Logos for Windows release.  Macs will get it in the next release (4.1).

Printing and Exporting are a combined facility, and it works well.

To get a taste of what is coming for the Mac, you can read 4.1 release notes for the Windows version here: http://www.logos.com/L4/support/whatsnew41, or read some discussion here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/24090.aspx, or watch Mark Barnes' helpful video overview: http://www.vimeo.com/15221792

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 1 of 4 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS