Inductive Bible Study Method - How do I do this with Logos 4?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 22
Nicholas B Brindisi | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 20 2010 10:46 AM

I have recently upgraded my Scholar's Library (Logos 3) to Logos 4 (Silver Edition).  I have heard about Kay Arthur's Inductive Bible Study Method.  It sounded good and I got the basic idea: Observation, Interpretation and Application.

My question is "What tools do I use for each phase?"  I already know to start with my Bible, prayer and the help of the Holy Spirit.  What of commentaries, Dictionaries, Encyclopedia, Surveys and etc.  Though I have used some commentaries, concordances and Anchor Bible Dictionary; I'm unsure of how to do correct research and pull these tools together.  In other words, I have the tools and can use some of them; however it's the skills and confidence I lack.

My goal is to engage in a study of Scripture that would infuse my writings.  The type of writings I do can be found on my blog: http://www.inspiration-point.org I write stories of encouragement and inspiration and seek to incorporate biblical principles and ideas into my writings. Whenever possible, I try to point the reader to a loving God, the Father and Jesus.  

This is why such a study is important to me. I need to fill up a vacuum with good understanding of Scripture and learning to listen more to what the Holy Spirit is saying and illuminating.

Posts 9098
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 11:19 AM

Nicholas,

Welcome to the forums and to Logos 4. Bible study is like so many other things something you learn better by doing. There have been a number of threads here on inductive Bible study or using Logos tools for study. Let me refer you to a couple:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6722.aspx?PageIndex=1

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/19426/146397.aspx

You might look these over and ask follow up questions in those threads or post specific questions back here.

There are a couple of videos on using Logos for Bible study. You can find many of them listed here: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Video_Tutorials Check those by Mark Barnes and John Fidel in particular.

I use Logos to answer questions I have as I study. So I start with the paper Bible, notepads, highlighters and a pencil. I try to observe first and write down questions I have: words I want to better understand, background issues, setting in Scripture, etc. I then use my resources to discover the answers. I try to outline the passage, and finally create a one sentence summary of the central truth of the passage.

This takes practice and I am a lot better and faster than I was when I started. It is a good thing you are trying to do. Be willing to spend the time to learn how to do it to the best of your ability.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5109
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 3:39 PM

Nicholas B Brindisi:

I have heard about Kay Arthur's Inductive Bible Study Method.  It sounded good and I got the basic idea: Observation, Interpretation and Application.

My question is "What tools do I use for each phase?"

Hi Nicholas,

Good question,  I am working on a series of short videos at the moment looking at some of the tools in Logos I use during the observation phase.  You can find the first one here... I'll probably put up a second video later this week and have plans for at  least one more after that... they are / will be five minute max so don't take up too much time to watch and don't cover too much at once.

http://www.vimeo.com/14876295

There is also a manual you can purchase put together by MP Seminars (The Official Traininer for Logos 4) on using Logos 4 and Inductive Approach.

Nathan Parker a fellow Logos 4 user recently put together a review of this manual if you liked to read a user's perspecitve on it.

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 5:22 PM

Shameless plug - www.inductivebible.net Geeked

Posts 26850
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 5:55 PM

from the Guidelines:

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please do not use our forums to
    • sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
    • promote or link to competitors
    • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
    • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
    • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion.
  2. Please help others follow these guidelines. If the problems continue after you’ve given a gentle reminder of these expectations, please click “Report Abuse” under “More” or send an email to forums@logos.com.

Note formatting renumbered because of deleted, irrelevant material. Was your post within these guidelines? (I honestly do not know the answer).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 6:50 PM

Sorry. I was not trying to break any rules.

Posts 26850
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 7:27 PM

William J Cook:
Sorry. I was not trying to break any rules.

I assumed that if you were it was unintentional. I don't think anyone reads the guidelines until they are brought to one's attention. The links at the upper right of the menu page are not exactly read before the posts Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2947
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 12:55 AM

Andrew McKenzie:

Nicholas B Brindisi:

I have heard about Kay Arthur's Inductive Bible Study Method.  It sounded good and I got the basic idea: Observation, Interpretation and Application.

My question is "What tools do I use for each phase?"

Hi Nicholas,

Good question,  I am working on a series of short videos at the moment looking at some of the tools in Logos I use during the observation phase.  You can find the first one here... I'll probably put up a second video later this week and have plans for at  least one more after that... they are / will be five minute max so don't take up too much time to watch and don't cover too much at once.

http://www.vimeo.com/14876295

There is also a manual you can purchase put together by MP Seminars (The Official Traininer for Logos 4) on using Logos 4 and Inductive Approach.

Nathan Parker a fellow Logos 4 user recently put together a review of this manual if you liked to read a user's perspecitve on it.

Hi, Andrew ,I have tried to watch the video ,but thre is no sound,it is only picture,there a way of adjusting it?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 4:25 AM

Tes:
Hi, Andrew ,I have tried to watch the video ,but thre is no sound,it is only picture,there a way of adjusting it?

Tes,

Andrew's video has sound for me. Have you double checked to make certain your computer's sound is turned up and that the vimeo player is not muted?

Posts 2947
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 4:51 AM

Kevin Becker:
Andrew's video has sound for me. Have you double checked to make certain your computer's sound is turned up and that the vimeo playe

Hi, Kevin you are right thank you.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2724
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 6:50 AM

MJ. Smith:
Was your post within these guidelines? (I honestly do not know the answer)

Isn't it ironic that the person bringing up the forum rules has a link in the signature area to a web site that seems to be giving away information, as do I.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 7:01 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

MJ. Smith:

Isn't it ironic that the person bringing up the forum rules has a link in the signature area to a web site that seems to be giving away information, as do I.

Peace to you, Kevin!  *smile*

I guess Logos is the one we should talk to, then, about the irony of it all ..........    ????

The guidelines do say:  "(a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)"  -- which is the way quite a number of forum posters go

MJ quite properly quoted the guidelines at precisely the right time; although I find it unfortunate (I'm sure she does also!) that it was necessary to do so...

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 7:05 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

MJ. Smith:

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 7:26 AM

I see your back Sam.  Welcome. 

As you certainly know by now the Forum Guidelines  permit a sig link, but not a post link.  It's a subtle distinction but not so subtle that it can't be understood.

Please do not use our forums to...advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 7:39 AM

Thomas Black:

As you certainly know by now the Forum Guidelines  permit a sig link, but not a post link.  It's a subtle distinction but not so subtle that it can't be understood.

Please do not use our forums to...advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)

Good to know Thomas. Now if only I knew how to add a signature ... Confused

Silent Sam:
   Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

SS,

You could add your humming to your signature and save on typing it.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 7:39 AM

Thomas Black:

Thanks so much for the welcome and the helping hand.  All instruction and constructive criticism is noted and appreciated. Big Smile

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 7:44 AM

Matthew C Jones:

True...But I'm not in the " Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm " mode for every post.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 8:44 AM

Silent Sam:

Matthew C Jones:

True...But I'm not in the " Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm " mode for every post.

LOL.

Thanks I really needed the chuckle.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 10:28 AM

I did not have a signature when MJ pointed out my error. I added it later, but it shows up now really looking bad (on me). Again, I was not trying to break any rules.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 10:36 AM

William J Cook:

I did not have a signature when MJ pointed out my error. I added it later, but it shows up now really looking bad (on me). Again, I was not trying to break any rules.

Of course not!   *smile*  I wouldn't fret about it!

Keep on posting!  It appears you have much to contribute to Forum Life.

Peace to you!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS