Discounts on Zondervan's Logos editions for Pradis users

Page 10 of 10 (194 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10
This post has 193 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 7:42 AM

Daniel Bender:

MichaelFinch:
A couple of months ago I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 (the Windows 95 version of EBC ran fine under Vista) and the EBC verion for Windows 95 did not function properly 9portions of it not at all). So I checked and found that there was a upgrade to Windows XP version (the Pardis 6 version) and I had them ship me the upgrade ($32).

Mick, you make an interesting point. My situation is similar to yours. I purchased EBC years ago. The old version no longer worked well on my newer computer so I called Zondervan and asked if I could get an upgrade. They sent me EBC in the Pradis platform for $25. I have Pradis on my Win 7 machine and it runs great after installing a patch that is on their site. I am hoping that I will get a similar deal when it comes out in L4.

However, if there is not a significant discount when the Zondervan materials are available in L4 I have come to the conclusion that I will not purchase them (primarily for financial reasons but also because I can still access them via Pradis). I do enjoy EBC because I think there are some great commentries in the package (Carson on Matthew is still one of the best IMO, VanGemeren on Psalms, the Minor Prophets, the articles in Vol 1, and an assortment of other OT & NT commentaries).

If I do get a sizeable discount I would only be interested in purchasing  EBC, NIDOTTE (an excellent resource that I use along with HALOT), and the NIDNTT.

I had the EBC upgrade like you.  25 bucks for the new Pradis platform.  But I think when they changed to Pradis 6, the cost was more UNLESS i just got the "engine" which meant i'd get new functionality but I wouldn't get pagination and stuff with my resources.  I don't remember the upgrade price.  I want to say it was 90 bucks or so.  maybe less.  I have recently concluded i can't in good conscience pay 2000 for the "whole enchilada" when I have many of those resources on Pradis.  The state of this economy and my own church's financial times underscores that.

So after deciding not to repurchase NIDNTT, NIVAC package, EBC and the several other resources, but being interested in a few of the newer ones, I see Z has set the price structure such (thru Logos) that the  "new" resources are not discounted AT ALL--either "logos sale price" or "pre-pub price."

Someone else made the point that many other alternatives are available to most of those resources.  Let me say a couple things:

1. I DO like multiple resources of the same kind--either for a different perspective, or, like with commentaries, one may pick up an issue that another does not.
  2. That said, if a resource set is ONLY offered at MSRP, I probably won't buy it, especially if it is a larger set.  The only time i'd consider it is if there were no other sources to get that cheaper (amazon, hard copy, on another format (re: Pradis), AND I didn't have an alternative (say a good dictionary from another publisher), AND I had money to blow, AND I absolutely needed that resource (because of a class requirement or the need to research that particular author.
  3. My thinking process on "sets": I recently got NICOT/NT.  That was by far the largest one time purchase I have made so far (I passed on Anchor Yale and others).  The main driving force was that I hadn't spent my library allotment, and the set was at an extremely good price, and many of the volumes I wanted.  I can't make that kind of purchase often.  Only because the set is highly regarded across the board and I had money to blow, and I also wanted to enlarge my commentary section, did I buy it. 
    1. What I would prefer, and what I used to do with hard copies, is buy commentaries when I am studying a particular book in the bible.  Preaching Romans?  Buy 7 commentaries on Romans.  Logos doesn't always make that possible.  I wish they would  Which is why I bought NICOT/NT.  However, I won't buy Anchor Yale--however if they offered them by single volume, I WOULD buy RE Brown and Markus Barth, etc, as I worked through those Bible passages.
    2. My point is that I WILL buy a large set--but infrequently.  What aids that is a significant discount.  If Z doens't offer a significant discount, not only will I not buy what I already own, but I probably won't buy what they are trying to sell me that I don't have--because they are at full price--and i have alternatives to their product, AND I am not necessarily even needing those added resources they are offering.
    3. but if they offer the WHOLE package at a terrific discount, or offer single sets at a pre-pub discount, they will get money from me.

Other than that, I just can't fork over money.  It will go elsewhere (like the Anchor Yale library being offered now. . . at a good discount, and far less money out lay.)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 8:17 AM

MichaelFinch:
I was not aware that there was a software update to Pradis 6. I have downloaded and installed update and application now works as expected.

i was not aware, either, but I have run it on Win 7 with no problems .  .  . perhaps because I did a fresh install it updated by itself?  Or perhaps one of my newer Pradis resources (NIVAC-Prophets) had the patch in it?

Anyway, it is working fine.  Now that I learned to dock OneNote and use it for preaching prep notes, using Pradis is not as bad  (even though I would prefer it in Logos--so many reasons I could tell you why!)

Posts 42
JM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 9:43 AM

Daniel,

Like you, I will not be upgrading from Pradis to Logos...unless the price is right.  On Pradis I own, the Scholar's Library, EBC, NIVAC-NT and NIVAC-Prophets.  Upgrading those at the PrePub pricing will be crazy.  Currently, I am running it separately on my old PIII 733Mhz XP along with NIB because I've run out of hard disk space on my old laptop thanks to Logos4 indexing.

Question: Since I will be running the Pradis stuff and NIB indefinitely on a separate XP machine anyway, should I buy NIDOTTE and NIDNTT on Pradis since I can get them both for about $60 a piece...and then purchase the Anchor Yale Bible and upgrade to Portfolio?  (Yes my discount is fairly big...I've bought a lot of PrePubs...but I still can't seem to justify the upgrade....yet...Is there a Logos Anonymous somewhere?)  :D

Jonely

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 10:21 AM

JonelyMoy:

Like you, I will not be upgrading from Pradis to Logos...unless the price is right.  On Pradis I own, the Scholar's Library, EBC, NIVAC-NT and NIVAC-Prophets.  Upgrading those at the PrePub pricing will be crazy.  Currently, I am running it separately on my old PIII 733Mhz XP along with NIB because I've run out of hard disk space on my old laptop thanks to Logos4 indexing.

Question: Since I will be running the Pradis stuff and NIB indefinitely on a separate XP machine anyway, should I buy NIDOTTE and NIDNTT on Pradis since I can get them both for about $60 a piece...and then purchase the Anchor Yale Bible and upgrade to Portfolio?  (Yes my discount is fairly big...I've bought a lot of PrePubs...but I still can't seem to justify the upgrade....yet...Is there a Logos Anonymous somewhere?)  :D

dang, with the amount of money you're talking about, i'd get a cheap new laptop with enough memory.  check out an acer netbook for 289 at geeks (xp, 160 gb) or new egg has some decent ones for about 440 (and tiger direct also has a refurb or two for 400).  Then you can run it all on one and have room for MORE Logos products!!  LAPDOG (Logos Anonymous Prepub & Discounted Order Groupie!).  I suppose someone ought to tell Spitzer about another dog reference. . .

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 11 2009 11:07 AM

JonelyMoy:
should I buy NIDOTTE and NIDNTT on Pradis since I can get them both for about $60 a piece

I'm not telling you to buy them, but if you do decide to, they can be found for cheaper prices than $60.

JonelyMoy:
then purchase the Anchor Yale Bible

I highly recommend you get the Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary. It sure would have been great to get it at the 12 Days of Christmas sale price yesterday. Gift

JonelyMoy:
and upgrade to Portfolio? 

YES.

JonelyMoy:
but I still can't seem to justify the upgrade....yet

It was easy for me to justify the upgrade to Portfolio. The content of the Portfolio package seems tailor-made for me. The individual titles I wanted were way more expensive than the retail price of Portfolio. My upgrade price gave fair consideration for duplicate titles I had already purchased separately. And the current discount off that price lowered my final cost to a managable figure.  REMEMBER! The current special upgrade prices are not static. They are SALE prices. You will probably save enough getting Portfolio now to cover the Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary too. If you wait it might not be this price in 2010.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9096
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 10:29 PM

Just reviving this thread. It's been quiet for almost a month, now. Wondered whether there was any news forthcoming about Zondervan's decision?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 7:17 AM

I am confident that Logos will try to do the right thing.  The fact that Dan asks for our input is evidence of how well Logos treats its customers.  What Zondervan will do remains to be seen.  It is Zondervan who has the obligation to its customer base. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1344
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:29 PM

It's been several months now since the initial Zondervan / Logos announcement.  Do we know when we'll likely a) see the Zondervan Logos resources in production, and b) hear about any potential discount for current Pradis users?

Thanks very much!

Peter

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:42 PM

PeterLi:

It's been several months now since the initial Zondervan / Logos announcement.  Do we know when we'll likely a) see the Zondervan Logos resources in production, and b) hear about any potential discount for current Pradis users?

Thanks very much!

Peter

I also am interested in these question. Any info?

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3667
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 4:38 PM

PeterLi:

I'm of the opinion that no answer IS an answer (albeit for me the wrong answer).

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 4:58 PM

Let's just hope they are working hard on these and that they will give us a progress report, I am waiting on a set of their commentaries, but if I knew it was going to be another month or two I would spend the money on other books, but with no information, I don't buy anything.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:34 PM

BillS:
I'm of the opinion that no answer IS an answer (albeit for me the wrong answer).

Yep, Me too.

Z. has time to keep hyping their fluff products (GloWorm) and send out their daily e-mails. So I take it they either don't know how to market their scholarly titles or they don't care about the Logos user base. Either scenario is lamentable.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:45 PM

I don't own any of the Zondervan stuff (never thought it was a good investment to get Pradis), but I certainly hope for the sake of all those who invested, this gets addressed by Zondervan sometime soon.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:36 PM

Joe Miller:

I don't own any of the Zondervan stuff (never thought it was a good investment to get Pradis), but I certainly hope for the sake of all those who invested, this gets addressed by Zondervan sometime soon.

Thanks bro, much appreciatedYes.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Page 10 of 10 (194 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 | RSS