Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 10:00 PM

I would be all in.Yes

Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 10:19 PM

Mark Barnes:

I would LOVE to have this, but with a retail price of over $2,500 in print I fear it's never going to happen. This set was destined only for libraries, not for mere mortals.

Aye, but I'd be sorely tempted to break into the piggy bank to have it in Logos IF the cost was remotely manageable.

While we were in New England I had the pleasure of contributing a bit of editing (modernizing the English, standardizing punctuation etc., according to the strict guidelines set forth by Yale) via the "Friends of Jonathan Edwards" centered there. The sheer volume of Edwards' writing, including what had yet to be published by Yale back in the mid- to late 90's was captivating. He started observing and writing so young - to see even just a few examples of how and what he wrote on whatever paper he could get his hands on, including the backs of receipts, bills of lading and the like in ultra tiny handwriting to use every millimeter of white space, was/is utterly amazing.

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 10:39 PM

Although I'm not sure that Edwards would be pleased with the covetous thoughts stirred in me by this thread, nonetheless, I'd love the set. Great for community pricing.

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2011 12:00 AM

Chris Roberts:

Although I'm not sure that Edwards would be pleased with the covetous thoughts stirred in me by this thread, nonetheless, I'd love the set. Great for community pricing.

Not likely to be put in community pricing because Yale has a recent copyright on this edition, even though the original writings were done a couple of centuries ago and should be in the public domain. CP is generally used only for public domain works. The public domain edition of Edwards is already available in Logos, but as my first post in this thread points out, it's a pale comparison to the complete works in terms of content. I'm willing to fork over for the complete works. Perhaps not $2500, but if it were in pre-pub for $400 or so, I might. I'm guessing it would have to be closer to $1000 or $1200 for Logos, based on past experience. That's probably more than I'd pay. But maybe they'd be able to cut a good deal with Yale since they've already worked with them on other books.

Posts 5087
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2011 2:47 AM

Rosie Perera:

So, I would like to put in a request for it:

The Works of Jonathan Edwards, Perry Miller, John E. Smith, Harry S. Stout, general editors; 26 volumes (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1957-2008).

Edwards is considered by many to be "America's most important religious figure" (blurb from back of Marsden's biography), so it behooves Logos to have his complete works, not just the public domain stuff.

John Piper might even be up for it, if we got this in Logos...price definitely would be a definitive issue for many, but if we got Piper promoting it there might be just enough many to make the pre-pub price reasonable.

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2011 3:30 AM

This would be the one set of works I would pay a pretty penny for. It would be the one that would break me into payment plans. In fact, I would pay more for this then I would for the NICNT/OT. I have plenty of commentaries that describe passages to me, though I'd love to have the top of the line. When Jonathan Edwards wrote, it was backed up by a man who meant and lived the words with every ounce of his soul. I don't think there was a single area of his life he didn't want to bring into subjection to his Love for God. I want to be able to soak every bit of that kind of Character in that I can.

Posts 5087
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2011 3:45 AM

Halo Hound:
When Jonathan Edwards wrote, it was backed up by a man who meant and lived the words with every ounce of his soul. I don't think there was a single area of his life he didn't want to bring into subjection to his Love for God. I want to be able to soak every bit of that kind of Character in that I can.

Yes

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2011 9:27 AM

Community pricing? I bet we could get  a very good price on this...it should be a very popular one.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 497
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 11:56 AM

$900.00

Ouch!

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 12:07 PM

Greg Masone:

$900.00

Ouch!

in the words of someone that doesn't need any recognition...

"wow-woo-weeza" Tongue Tied

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 12:14 PM

Greg Masone:

$900.00

Ouch!

That's Yale for you!

But when the list price is $2945, it's not as bad as it looks!

$900 / 16,798 pages = $0.05 per page.
$900 / 26 volumes = $34.62 (averaging roughly 650 pages per volume)

All in it could be a lot worse...

650 page books don't normally sell for $35, particularly when they're from academic publishers.

All that to day, if you can afford it and you're interested in Edward's writings, its a good deal.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 12:15 PM

Jacob Hantla:
Now why did you have to go and post this link? I am already in an impossible position wanting to read my library before my life is over. These titles are wonderful. I would settle for Jonathan Edwards but everything else looks cool too.   I think I should go rake leaves.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 12:24 PM

Rosie Perera:
'm willing to fork over for the complete works. Perhaps not $2500, but if it were in pre-pub for $400 or so, I might. I'm guessing it would have to be closer to $1000 or $1200 for Logos, based on past experience. That's probably more than I'd pay.

You sure are good at predictions.

Rosie Perera:
But maybe they'd be able to cut a good deal with Yale since they've already worked with them on other books.

But then again, maybe they won't.   $900?? Crying

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 12:58 PM

Super Tramp:

Rosie Perera:
But maybe they'd be able to cut a good deal with Yale since they've already worked with them on other books.

But then again, maybe they won't.   $900?? Crying

I guess if you need it, it's a good deal.  But the rest of us, hmm....one can get all the available works of Calvin AND Luther in Logos for about the same price.  I'm happy to settle for the less-than-complete works for now.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 1:10 PM

Ted Hans:

Yes PleaseYesYesYesStarStarStarParadiseCoolMusicMusicMusicGeekedDrinks

Ted are you still singing & dancing at $900?Crying What will become of my other Pre-Pubs if i go for Edwards?Tongue Tied

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 2:36 PM

JH:

Groan.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 2:57 PM

Thomas Black:

What's going on that this is so expensive? I couldnt believe it - on prepub for $899? Or maybe their agreement does not allow any kind of prepub discount? I buy as much as I can afford but there's no way I can justify this one ...

Posts 1783
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 20 2011 3:00 PM

Todd Phillips:
I'm happy to settle for the less-than-complete works for now.

I know what most of us will buy (or have already bought on pre pub) given the following choices! Surprise 

I still love my E4 Disk (Edwards Library Volume 1)  better then either of the below choices.Yes

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 497
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 12:10 AM

Has anyone compared what's in the Banner of Truth version with what's offered in the 26 volumes?

The 26 volumes are all available online at Yale's JE site. Along with about 50 more volumes of his work that they aren't planning on publishing.

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS