Suggestion: The *complete* Works of Jonathan Edwards

Page 3 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 56 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 204
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 1:23 AM

I think this one is the same set as the one published by Banner and Hendrickson

http://www.logos.com/product/3923/the-works-of-jonathan-edwards

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 204
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 1:24 AM

Seriously 899 USD is way too much, why don't they offer payment plan on pre-pub

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 990
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 2:34 AM

I'm kind of thankful that the decision is so easy. At $400 I might have to consider a bit but at $900 it's really easy to say no.

At the end of the day someone needs to be realistic and realise that we aren't libraries and our EULA guarantees that most of this material will never be read by anyone who buys it because even the most diehard JE lover is going to be hard pressed to finish 16,798 pages this side of heaven. It's supposedly 69% off so in that case I can feel good if I read 31% of it? I'll think I'll stick to what I have.

I do applaud Logos for taking the chance and raising the bar on what's available to those who really need it. Anyone writing a dissertation on JE?

Tom

Posts 18771
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 3:02 AM

JH:

Yeehaw! Pricey indeed, but what an amazing resource for anyone interested in serious scholarship on Edwards. It would be $2935 to get this set in print, so this is quite a good deal. But still, ouch!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 21 2011 6:14 AM

$900 is a lot of money. I have a hard time believing I'll be able to pull it together but if I do by the time it leaves Pre-Pub I'll purchase it. If I had a choice between this and NICNT/OT I'll take Edwards. I have tons of commentaries and Edwards on Pre-Pub is $700 less :-) Its true I would probably never get to read through 16,000 pages. But I bet I'll search through 16,000 pages many many times.

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 22 2011 2:37 PM

Jacob Hantla:

Community pricing? I bet we could get  a very good price on this...it should be a very popular one.

$900 is very good for this if you need it. I would be more likely to buy some individual volumes if it was prepubbed individually. But As it is the ability for me to get so many Edwards Sermons into Logos (and to have the rest searchable) is worth it. 

I understand the price is very steep, but it is much much cheaper than the print edition.

Thank you, Logos!

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:10 AM

I am certainly considering this offer.

One of my questions though concerns how much of the 16,000 pages is actual Edwards "text", and how much of it is notes/etc?

For example, the Banner paperback of The Religious Affections is 382 pages. Yale volume # 2 has the work, and nothing else from what I've been able to determine, but is 526 pages. That's 37 more pages than the Banner editon. Does the Yale edition contain so many more pages because it is larger print, is more complete, has considerable textual notes, or is there another reason? Does anyone know?

Also, I would be more comfortable if Logos would declare for sure whether the set will be available for mobile devices on release. I've puchased several prepubs in the last 8-10 months that did not show the iPad/iPhone icon on the prepub page but were available when released. But since I would make extensive use of the set to just read Mr. Edwartds writings, availability on mobile devices is a must. I would be very disappointed (probably even angry, though I would not let the sun go down on my anger) if I paid the $900 without a declaration (but expecting it would be available given recent history with other prepubs that lack the icon) and found it unavailable for mobile devices once released.

So Logos, can we get the iPhone/iPad app icon on the Edwards prebub listing, or, if it will NOT be available on mobile devices, a response to this thread stating so?

Posts 205
LogosEmployee
Kent Hendricks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:15 AM

The Works of Jonathan Edwards will be available on mobile devices.

Posts 497
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:32 PM

Randal M Lane:
For example, the Banner paperback of The Religious Affections is 382 pages. Yale volume # 2 has the work, and nothing else from what I've been able to determine, but is 526 pages. That's 37 more pages than the Banner editon. Does the Yale edition contain so many more pages because it is larger print, is more complete, has considerable textual notes, or is there another reason? Does anyone know?

Randal,

You can browse the set online here:http://edwards.yale.edu/research/browse

Looking at the volume on The Religious Affections, it seems there is at least an 87 page introduction written by an editor. Here is the page listing the Table of Contents of that volume. It seems to go from page 84 to 383.

Hope this helps!

Posts 1435
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 9:54 PM

No auchhh too expansive. 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 29 2011 10:27 AM

Kent Hendricks:

The Works of Jonathan Edwards will be available on mobile devices.

Thanks Kent. You might want to edit the icons on the product page to reflect this

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 9
Kent Dresdow | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 11:36 AM

I am neck-deep on a doctoral dissertation on Edwards, so the "works" on Logos would be an absolute research dream for my project. Question is: when is this planned for release? It's under development now, but when can we anticipate a release date? Seriously, to have the capability to search his miscellanies alone make this the single-greatest research tool in Logos for me. Thanks for letting me know about the date!

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 1:14 PM

Kent Dresdow:

I am neck-deep on a doctoral dissertation on Edwards, so the "works" on Logos would be an absolute research dream for my project. Question is: when is this planned for release? It's under development now, but when can we anticipate a release date? Seriously, to have the capability to search his miscellanies alone make this the single-greatest research tool in Logos for me. Thanks for letting me know about the date!

Kent, I wish you success on your dissertation. I don't know the formula for when a prepub ships. I have thousands of dollards in prepubs that are "under development" and some of them have been in that state for almost 2 years. But I bet the Edwards resources will be shipped before my other "under development" resources. Just because it says under development doesn't mean we can anticipate a product shipment date. I wait patiently for when they are shipped. I get you need it soon for your dissertation. It would be nice if it ships, but I wouldn't wait on Logos if I was in your situation.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 5:50 PM

Noticed Reading Jonathan Edwards: An Annotated Bibliography in Three Parts, 1729–2005 pre-publication has estimated ship date next week.

Likewise noted sorting Pre-Publications by ship date => http://www.logos.com/products/search?Status=Pre-Pub&start=0&sort=shipdate&pageSize=60 has estimated dates through Dec 9 (followed by "Under Development"); seems Logos updates shipping estimates weekly.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9
Kent Dresdow | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 6:50 PM

That's what I'll do...just press on with the Yale Press hardcopies, while waiting for the release...hopefully soon.

Posts 9
Kent Dresdow | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 12 2011 6:55 PM

Yeah, I own the hard-copy of this volume, and it's very helpful, but not as necessary to own in Logos format, I don't think. Glad to see they're releasing it for sale, though. A reference guide tour de force.

Posts 16
Christian Girl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 10:21 PM

Yes! I would buy it! Yes

Page 3 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS