A blessing and a curse

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 300
John Graves | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 5 2010 6:55 AM

Logos' ability to sync all of our files to the internet is great.  I love it, knowing that everything that I do in my office is going to be synced with my Macbook at home.  This is a great blessing. 

The curse however is that I am about to cancel my 70 dollar a month internet subscription.  This means my non-portable windows computer is without any sort of backup or ability to get periodic updates.  Not to mention new resources.  I am in  the process of cancelling most of my prepubs as I speak.  I also have gone back to buying paper books because I don't need to back them up. 

I know that I can use an external hard drive to back up logos which is what I am going to do, another 60 dollars invested in Logos.  I am also going to jumpt through all of the hoops to get the one or two prepubs that I really really want.  This means downloading them on the other computer, going through the process of finding them and then copying them.  Then bringing them in to my office where i can copy them to my Windows computer. 

All of that to say Logos is amazing and I know that my situation is not going to change their dependence on the internet.  The guy I talked to this morning said, "well we hope that things get better with internet coverage and more affordable."  I do too, but for now I will use what I already have and invest my money in a less expenisve medium, good ole books. 

Posts 1629
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 7:03 AM

John Graves:
I know that I can use an external hard drive to back up logos which is what I am going to do, another 60 dollars invested in Logos.

Hi John,

If all you plan to do with your extra drive is backup Logos, a USB thumb drive would probably be more convenient and affordable.

I feel your pain on internet prices. Very few things keep me from canceling too. Logos is about 50% of it.

God bless.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 7:03 AM

John,

there IS one other option....

Free internet from places like Panera, etc.

Having a cup of coffee at Panera's while Logos updates is something I've done A LOT.

Just a thought.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1629
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 7:05 AM

Robert Pavich:
Free internet from places like Panera, etc.

Very good suggestion. Even fast food places where I live offer free wireless.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 300
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 8:28 AM

The free wifi is great for a laptop not so great for a desktop.  Transferring back and forth is not so easy with Logos.  My main Logos Computer is a Desktop so that doesn't help but thanks for the suggesstions I will certainly be taking my macbook to the local free wifi spots. 

Posts 3765
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 8:37 AM

right, at least keep your macbook synced and updated.

Don't know your situation, but I can imagine it's a tough decision!  Regardless, what many blessings you already have in Logos and print books. 

Our lives are like the morning mist . . . it'll all be over soon!  Smile

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 910
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 10:58 AM

John, are you in a place where you simply do not have any other internet options, such as a less expensive but slower DSL?

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 249
Giovanni Baggio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 11:09 AM

That's what I was about to ask.  I mean, who in the world pays $70 dollars for internet?  They must be ripping you off.  I have cable internet and I DONT pay $70.  Anyway, Bill's option is a good one.  Get a lower internet package like DSL or dial up if it's still available.  Hope your situation gets better.  You might want to see a financial advisor too.  I know that helped me a while back.

Posts 3765
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 11:23 AM

Giovanni Baggio:

That's what I was about to ask.  I mean, who in the world pays $70 dollars for internet?  They must be ripping you off.  I have cable internet and I DONT pay $70.  Anyway, Bill's option is a good one.  Get a lower internet package like DSL or dial up if it's still available.  Hope your situation gets better.  You might want to see a financial advisor too.  I know that helped me a while back.

i pay comcast 65$ for phone-local and LD and highspeed internet. (12 MB download speeds)

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 11:35 AM

I have DSL @ $33/month and it isn't that bad with AT&T it is their mid-tier service and have only had a couple of hiccups (2 no service situations for a day) over the last 5 years.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:47 PM

Giovanni Baggio:
That's what I was about to ask.  I mean, who in the world pays $70 dollars for internet?
Obviously you don't live in the country.  Out here in the sticks, things get a bit more expensive sometimes.  It's called "taking advantage of the country-folk"  Wink

The alternative here is highspeed dialup.  Can you say 33.3Kbps?  WHOO WHOO!

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 4823
doc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 12:17 AM

Giovanni Baggio:
who in the world pays $70 dollars for internet?

Aussies ....

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 4:32 AM

Giovanni Baggio:
That's what I was about to ask.  I mean, who in the world pays $70 dollars for internet?  They must be ripping you off

Believe it or not, some of us do still pay ridiculous prices.  I live in a rural area in Southeast Kentucky and I have to pay $60 per month for DSL.  I feel your pain.  Hopefully it'll get more affordable soon.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 5:49 AM

Doug:
Believe it or not, some of us do still pay ridiculous prices.
Well at least I know I'm not alone in this. Indifferent

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 910
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 6:11 AM

Doug:

Giovanni Baggio:
That's what I was about to ask.  I mean, who in the world pays $70 dollars for internet?  They must be ripping you off

Believe it or not, some of us do still pay ridiculous prices.  I live in a rural area in Southeast Kentucky and I have to pay $60 per month for DSL.  I feel your pain.  Hopefully it'll get more affordable soon.

Thomas Black:

Doug:
Believe it or not, some of us do still pay ridiculous prices.
Well at least I know I'm not alone in this. Indifferent

What speed DSL do you guys get for that kind of fee?

Bill

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 6:19 AM

Bill Moore:

Actually it's not DSL for me, it's a wireless radio pointed at the antenna on the tallest part of the Co-op grain bins.  I max out around 1.5Mbps.  When it's /really/ humid and the corn is high it'll drop quite a bit to as low as 250Kbps.  Normally I get real numbers around 0.7Mbps.  

Then I hear someone talking about FIOS at 10MB and my eyeballs fall out of my head.  Good thing I wear glasses, the floor is cluttered enough.

Check the Wiki

Posts 910
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 7:47 AM

Thomas Black:

Bill Moore:

Actually it's not DSL for me, it's a wireless radio pointed at the antenna on the tallest part of the Co-op grain bins.  I max out around 1.5Mbps.  When it's /really/ humid and the corn is high it'll drop quite a bit to as low as 250Kbps.  Normally I get real numbers around 0.7Mbps.  

Then I hear someone talking about FIOS at 10MB and my eyeballs fall out of my head.  Good thing I wear glasses, the floor is cluttered enough.

I guess when you leave your house you have to be going somewhere because it sounds as though you live in the middle of nowhere. Wink

I suspect it's not much consolation, but my slow ATT DSL is about 225-260Kbps. Then again, we pay $14.95 a month for it. We don't have many options in this small town, but at least we have ATT. I could pay more for faster speeds, but I'm maybe just a wee bit cheap, er, frugal. Smile

Hope you guys get some better alternatives.

Bill

Posts 300
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 7:55 AM

Yeah my only other options are Satellite or through a wireless provider.  Neither is one is any cheaper by the time you pay for the equipment and fees. 

The city I live in is around 40,000 but there is only one cable company and very sparse dsl options.  I can't get dsl at my house.  The cable company has a monopoly pretty much and they use it to their adavantage.  It is fast but they even charge 5 dollars a month to use their modem.  Just tired of getting ripped off. 

Thanks for the suggestions but I will keep my money and do what I can to make it work for me.  It just means an inconvience or two, no big deal, just wish there was some easy way to sync my notes between my computers without internet.  Not a deal breaker or anything I was just complaining a little bit. Crying

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 1:44 PM

Everybody needs to move to Arapahoe, Nebraska,  population 1028.

Enterprise High Speed* 7MB/768K - $99.95

They have a fiber optic network. My baby brother maintained their servers  and repaired severed cables in a mobile unit before Am@zon hired him.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 686
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 1:54 PM

Thomas Black:

Bill Moore:

Ditto experience here. A little further south in Illinois than Thomas, but same setup and erratic speeds.

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS