Announcement: Resource Type Change--Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Lexicon

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 45 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 280
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 5 2010 9:15 AM

Today, Logos will be introducing two new resource types in Logos 4 to better handle different kinds of "dictionary"-like resources.

Resources in your library that currently have the type "Dictionary" will be automatically re-categorized via the metadata service into three more specific types:

Dictionary
Modern language dictionary. These resources typically have short definitions for the individual headwords, and the headwords cover a large percentage of the unique words in the language.
Examples: Merriam-Webster's, Collins Concise Dictionary

Lexicon
Ancient language dictionary. These resources may have short definitions or long sections on the etymology or usage of each word. The headwords are in an ancient language and typically cover a large percentage of the unique words in that language.
Examples: BDAG, HALOT
(Note also: Subject fields for lexicons have been reviewed to make sure they specify the language(s) covered and the language the resource is in. E.g. "Hebrew language--Dictionaries--English".)

Encyclopedia
Encyclopedic dictionary. These resources typically have long articles, and may only have a few hundred or thousand headwords. There is often a high degree of overlap with Bible Knowledgebase/Logos Controlled Vocabulary concepts (though not always, e.g., Dictionary of Christianity in America).
Examples: Harper's Bible Dictionary, Anchor Bible Dictionary, Dictionary of Christianity in America

How This Will Affect Users:
User collections based on the "Dictionary" type may need to be revised.
Lookups of Parallel Resources will now be based (by default) on the new types.
Note: This change does not affect Libronix

We expect to complete the changes this morning. If you're using Logos "online", you should see the results immediately.

Posts 7119
Forum MVP
Posts 609
DBailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 9:42 AM

Thanks for the information.  I had to re-start Logos 4 to see the new resource structure. I'm a bit confused about the change.  The library categorization has the type Lexicon, Encyclopedia, and Dictionary, with many resources in them.  But the resources themselves still reflect the original types.  For example, see the figure, where many resources still have encyclopedia as Type, but under the Library category Dictionary:

Posts 4954
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:23 AM

Louis St. Hilaire:
We expect to complete the changes this morning. If you're using Logos "online", you should see the results immediately.

Thanks!  We now have functional Encyclopedia of Christianity resources!  Their types have been fixed:

And they now show up in the look-ups:

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Moving Logos between systems / Detailed Search Help - ThinkPad T520: 2.4GHz i5-2430M, 8GB, 7200RPM HD, integrated video

Posts 4954
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:24 AM

David L Bailey:
For example, see the figure, where many resources still have encyclopedia as Type, but under the Library category Dictionary:

David, I'm not having your problem:

Maybe another restart would fix it?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Moving Logos between systems / Detailed Search Help - ThinkPad T520: 2.4GHz i5-2430M, 8GB, 7200RPM HD, integrated video

Posts 609
DBailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:31 AM

Todd Phillips:
Maybe another restart would fix it?

Yes, I believe that fixed it. But the resource called Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Quotations is still of type Monograph under the category Monograph.

Posts 6612
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:37 AM

This is good news. It will help with forming collections.

I have one of the new categories so far: Encyclopedia. Missing Lexicon. Will wait.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2881
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:39 AM

[EDIT]

I also had to do a second restart to get thing straightened out.  Both Encyclopedias and Dictionaries were mislabeled until I did the restart.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 6612
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:49 AM

David L Bailey:
But the resource called Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Quotations is still of type Monograph under the category Monograph.

This is one we could disagree over. Dictionary in the name, but it doesn't serve as a dictionary, therefore a monograph. It is arranged by topic alphabetically but only in that way resembles a dictionary. It doesn't meet the criteria Louis listed for dictionary.

Louis St. Hilaire:
Dictionary
Modern language dictionary. These resources typically have short definitions for the individual headwords, and the headwords cover a large percentage of the unique words in the language.
Examples: Merriam-Webster's, Collins Concise Dictionary

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 151
Paul Meathrel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:52 AM

Mark A. Smith:

This is good news. It will help with forming collections.

I have one of the new categories so far: Encyclopedia. Missing Lexicon. Will wait.

Works well for me over here, I appear to have got all the new categorizations which is great. Looks good over here!

Posts 7119
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:53 AM

A few more questions.... (issues?)

Posts 6612
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:57 AM

Floyd Johnson:
I also had to do a second restart to get thing straightened out.  Both Encyclopedias and Dictionaries were mislabeled until I did the restart.

Yep. Two restarts got them sorted out. I'll redefine my collections now.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 6612
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:03 AM

Thomas Black:

A few more questions.... (issues?)

I think rereading the definition of Dictionary says the ones you want to classify that way don't fit into that definition. As I replied to David Baily I don't think any of the categories applies to the Dictionary of Quotations. I don't have your first and last on the list so can't comment about where they ought to be. Sounds like you are right about the first one, though.

Where's the uber-Librarian when he/she is needed? This isn't easy.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 280
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:19 AM

Thanks for the information.  I had to re-start Logos 4 to see the new resource structure. I'm a bit confused about the change.  The library categorization has the type Lexicon, Encyclopedia, and Dictionary, with many resources in them.  But the resources themselves still reflect the original types.  For example, see the figure, where many resources still have encyclopedia as Type, but under the Library category Dictionary:

I also observed this, but, as noted, it seems to go away once the library catolog update is complete.

Thomas Black:
A Dictionary of Biblical tradition in English Literature should probably be encyclopedia, but is monograph.

I just caught and corrected this. You should see the correct type now.

Thomas Black:

• The Exhaustive Dictionary of Bible Names has the short entries of a dictionary but is classed as encyclopedia.
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Quotationsi is classed as a monograph but is encyclopedic in character.
  • The Concise Dictionary of Christian Theology is likewise classed as an encyclopedia but is dictionary in character.
  •  

There always end up being some borderline cases in any classification. We went with "Encyclopedia" for the Dictionary of Bible Names and The Concise Dictionary of Christian Theology on the grounds of what they cover, even though the entries are short.

The Dictionary of Quotations is a bit of an oddball, as Mark noted. I suppose it could go in Encyclopedia--using that category as a catch-all--but I think it really would belong better classified with things like topically arranged collections of illustrations. As you're probably aware, the work we're doing on "topic"-like things (headwords/LCV/Biblical People/Places/Things) is ongoing, I'll look into where we're going with these kinds of resources.

Posts 609
    DBailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:24 AM

Mark A. Smith:
    Dictionary in the name, but it doesn't serve as a dictionary, therefore a monograph. It is arranged by topic alphabetically but only in that way resembles a dictionary. It doesn't meet the criteria Louis listed for dictionary.

I agree.

Posts 6612
    Forum MVP
    Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:33 AM

Louis St. Hilaire:
    I think it really would belong better classified with things like topically arranged collections of illustrations.

I agree with this. Illustrations and quotations are something that ought to be differentiated from monograph.

I also think that there are Bible reference topical-type resources that should eventually be given their own type. Nave's, Elwell's Topical Analysis, Nelsons' Topical Index, The MacArthur Topical Bible, New Topical Textbook, Collin's Thesaurus of the Bible, Where to Find It in the Bible, and The Zondervan Dictionary of Bible Themes would all fit this sort of category. Call them Bible Topic or something like that.

It is nice to know some progress in being made in this area. It will make using Logos easier.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1677
    Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 12:10 PM

Wow!  Look at all the encyclopedias.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 7119
    Forum MVP
    TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 12:22 PM

Louis St. Hilaire:
    There always end up being some borderline cases in any classification.
    That is an understatement.  :-)  Thanks Louis!

Posts 4625
    Forum MVP
    Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 12:38 PM

That is sooooo  smooooth!  *smile*

Frankly, I really like "cloud computering"!

I watched Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary change to "encyclopedia" right before my eyes.  Almost, as they (whoever they is!) used to say -- in living colour!

Thank you, Louis and Logos!

Peace to all

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 6612
    Forum MVP
    Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 2:09 PM

I noticed after this changeover that the parallel resource associations for my Greek lexicons virtually popped up rather than grinding away for awhile. Very nice.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 3 (46 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS