4.2 beta: Reading View Paged View... First Looks.. What are your thoughts ?

Page 1 of 4 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 5527
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 6 2010 5:46 PM | Locked

Screen Resolution.... 1920 x 1080

Increasing Tex sizes reduce number of columns.... This is max text size with program scaling at 90%...

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 5:57 PM | Locked

I like it!  I would like to see a hotkey implemented and those groovy page turns...

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 5:59 PM | Locked

I also like that you do not have to use the "reading view" to use the "paged view"!

Great

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 6:24 PM | Locked

I think they've done a great job on the paged mode, but I think it should allow the columns to get wider before it splits them.  I don't known how they determine what's too wide, perhaps there could be a control for those who prefer a wider column.  The max size seems narrower than a book (relative to the font size), and the corresponding minimum column size is too narrow for my tastes.

Here are three examples in Paged, Reading Mode (fullscreen) on my 1280x1024 monitor:

This is the widest the columns get before splitting.  I think most books allow more words per line than this, but that's a gut feeling.

This is when I've just moved the ToC separator over by 1 notch from the previous, and it is the smallest that the columns get (too narrow for my taste):

This is how it looks without the ToC:

I'd really like to be able to control column size (and maybe margin size--although the margins do look good here, I'd prefer only two columns and that would mean wider columns and maybe wider margins). Other than that, I think the Paged mode is really cool.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 6:27 PM | Locked

Milford Charles Murray:

I also like that you do not have to use the "reading view" to use the "paged view"!

Great

Yes!

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 6:30 PM | Locked

what the heck???????  How'd I miss 4.2?  No wonder you all were quiet today . . . dangit!  Angry

Stick out tongue

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 5527
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 7:33 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
I'd really like to be able to control column size (and maybe margin size--although the margins do look good here, I'd prefer only two columns and that would mean wider columns and maybe wider margins). Other than that, I think the Paged mode is really cool.

In reading view on a wide screen monitor I can't get down to two columns even at 80% program scaling.  It's only when the panel is less than full screen width that I can get it down to two columns wide.

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 7:45 PM | Locked

I do like this feature. It will help with scanning articles as well as reading them.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 7:50 PM | Locked

Cool! I'm downloading it now. At first I thought this was another thread pulling our legs (all of us who are beta addicts); it seemed too soon to expect 4.2 beta after 4.1 shipped.

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 7:55 PM | Locked

I have one suggestion/request for this feature. Please have Page Up and Page Down move us just one column to the right or left. That way I can place the columns I want to look at at the same time on the page. Right now the way a resource opens determines where the 'page break' goes and that isn't always where I'd prefer. Revealing/hiding one new column with each Page Up/Page Down would work around that.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:06 PM | Locked

Hmm...   I don't know Mark.  Part of me agrees that a single column advance might work, but I would prefer that the arrow key would do that, while Page up/down would still advance the entire page.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 6699
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:10 PM | Locked

Like the column view. When I paste into word 2007, from the print command, I lose the two column view. Is this by design, or am I doing something wrong? If I select some text and ask it to copy using the copy command from the tool menu, It does not retain the two column view.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:10 PM | Locked

Milford Charles Murray:

I concur!  I'm so grateful for that, it enables me to read with a word processor open on the same screen now.

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:15 PM | Locked

Thomas Black:
 Part of me agrees that a single column advance might work, but I would prefer that the arrow key would do that,

The left and right arrow keys control parallel resource cycling, so wouldn't work on resources for which there is a parallel resource association. Maybe another key combo? Anyway they want to implement it, I'd like to be able to move a column at a time through a resource.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:24 PM | Locked

Mark A. Smith:

Thomas Black:
 Part of me agrees that a single column advance might work, but I would prefer that the arrow key would do that,

The left and right arrow keys control parallel resource cycling, so wouldn't work on resources for which there is a parallel resource association. Maybe another key combo? Anyway they want to implement it, I'd like to be able to move a column at a time through a resource.

What about the up and down arrow keys?  A quick test on mine with four columns looks like it moves three columns.  Turn that down to just one and we'd have a winner. No?

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:32 PM | Locked

Thomas Black:
What about the up and down arrow keys?  A quick test on mine with four columns looks like it moves three columns.

HMM, in mine it moves a whole page, just the same as Page Up/Page Down.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:33 PM | Locked

How many columns showing Mark?

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 8:48 PM | Locked

Six. I am in Reading View.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1717
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 9:56 PM | Locked

Todd Phillips:
I think they've done a great job on the paged mode, but I think it should allow the columns to get wider before it splits them.  I don't known how they determine what's too wide, perhaps there could be a control for those who prefer a wider column.  The max size seems narrower than a book (relative to the font size), and the corresponding minimum column size is too narrow for my tastes.

We wanted to keep the UI as uncluttered as possible, so instead of letting (or making) you choose a number of columns, we try to do it "automagically." We are optimizing for 10 words per line, (obviously a few more when there's extra space, etc.) which published research indicates is the optimal width for reading.

Yes, that's narrower than many (but not all!) books. But wider than newspapers! :-)

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 9:59 PM | Locked

Bob Pritchett:

Todd Phillips:

We wanted to keep the UI as uncluttered as possible, so instead of letting (or making) you choose a number of columns, we try to do it "automagically." We are optimizing for 10 words per line, (obviously a few more when there's extra space, etc.) which published research indicates is the optimal width for reading.

Yes, that's narrower than many (but not all!) books. But wider than newspapers! :-)

I like the "automagically", but I'd also like a slider to let me adjust the target width of the column...similar to the font size slider.  The problem with 10 words per line is that it's the maximum, but in most cases it's less than that.

Page 1 of 4 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS