Crash while doing Word Study

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:21 AM

Hey folks.. So here is what I'm doing.

Step 1: Open KJV to Jer 29:11. Set interlinear display to Surface, Lemma, Strongs. Right click on the word 'thoughts'. Select Lemma and then select Bible Word Study. (see pic Step 1)

Step 2: Select Translation in the Word Study panel. Click the green 'Purpose' section of the ring. Right click on the word 'purposes' in Pr 15:22. Select Bible Word Study. (see pic Step 2)

Step 3: Select the Blue 'work, works" section of the ring in the same study. The circles just spin and spin and I have to force quit. (see pic Step 3)

Logs3817.Logging.zip

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 10:57 AM

How long did you wait before force quitting? Was the rest of the app unresponsive during this time?

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 11:06 AM

David Mitchell:

How long did you wait before force quitting?

Close to five minutes... and I did this several times.

David Mitchell:

Was the rest of the app unresponsive during this time?

No... I got the spinning beach ball.

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 12:48 PM

Any ideas?

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 1:40 PM

Well... the program is about unusable now... And I can't seem to get anyone on the phone at Logos. No one is responding here either.

I simply opened the same search up again when i got home this afternoon. Jer 29.11. i opened the Word search again by right clicking on the word "thoughts", choosing Lemma, clicking on Word study. The word study opened fine. i clicked around on the ring a few times and all of a sudden the ring quit showing me the scriptures for each ring section. The 'busy' icon was spinning away. This went on for about 10 minutes. 

i finally clicked the 'x' on the right hand side of the word study panel. Viola! The spinning beach ball of death. After 5 minutes... i forced quit. Here are the logs in case someone can help me.

My frustration is mounting with this software. I'm trying to give it a chance but I can't do basic things with it. 

6076.Logging.zip

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 2:35 PM

I believe Tom is looking into it; it may have to do with a failure to cancel certain background work as you hover the various words in the graph, and it seems to only cause trouble on machines with few CPU cores. We'll let you know more when we've found out more about this.

As a workaround, avoiding hover/click actions on the ring graphs (or letting them run to completion before moving again) may keep the system responsive. I know that isn't a very satisfactory answer, and we are working on a fix.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 2:55 PM

Thanks David... 

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

Posts 2197
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 3:58 PM

Hi Tom,

You can accomplish the same result by opening the word ring to the word you want so it populates the verses and then click on the word as shown to open another Bible Word Study on it... until of course the bug is fixed.

Here is a peek:

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 4:19 PM

We've located the problem code and fixed it. This will be fixed in the next release, which we hope to release soon.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 5:26 PM

Thanks guys. I so badly want this to work out that I've spent the evening setting up my less than a year old windows laptop with the software. I really don't like windows but I really want this to work with Logos since there are so many things that I, early on, like about it.

I can't afford a newer Mac right now. (Especially after dropping $1400 on Logos).

Even while indexing, the windows build was much faster and snappier doing these rings and word studies than my Mac. While there is a bug, it certainly is obvious to me that my Mac is probably a bit too old to handle this software.

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS