Notes Files Suggestion/PLEA

Page 5 of 5 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 86 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 3
Brian Vallotton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 5 2010 1:37 PM

Just wanted to say that I really like the suggestions here in this post. I like to make my notes different colors. It helps me to differentiate ideas and themes.... Thanks for lining it out so well here Floyd.

Posts 6
Ray Wenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 2:36 AM

I agree with your idea of keeping note files simple--I have used them a lot in logos 3.  Don't go to the bother of making a full fledged word-processor.  If people want fancy text, they could create it in the mechanism of their choice and then import it.

I liked how in logos 3 a note could be attached to any word in any sentence of a given resource. 

But the version in logos 4 seems to lump all notes attached to parts of a sentence to the beginning of that sentence.  This destroys the context and makes me write context to make sense of the note.  Quite a loss.  Especially since if I have three different notes in a long sentence, I get three little tags, and I have no idea which one is addressing the part I want until a mouse over the list.  Am I missing something?

Also, I want to import all my notes from logos 3, and these are context driven, placed at the very point in the text where they are desired.  Will this information be lost?  I hope not.  It would mean I would have to update all those notes to make sense of them.  Losing the point of attachment seriously degrades the function as a quick note.  For example, the old way:   we can highlight 3 words, and add the note "bravo!" and we know exactly what we mean with very little work.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 4:54 AM

rayeaglenest@gmail.com:
But the version in logos 4 seems to lump all notes attached to parts of a sentence to the beginning of that sentence.

Are we using the same program? I get notes to attach to particular words all the time (select word> create note result note attached to word). Which Bible are you working with, that you don't see this.

Also, just loaded up the 4.0b beta1 and imported my notes. Some formatting was lost, but the imported notes attached to the same words in L4 as in L3 (quite an accomplishment, IMHO.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 217
James Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:00 AM

I think at least notes should have HTML functionality (and import and export to/from HTML) - or at least embed HTML functionality

• bold, italic, underline, strikethrough
  • different colour for text and background (highlighing)
  • Indent
  • Bullet points / number points
  • Cut, copy and paste within and between notes preserving formating
  • hyperlinks (* Very very  important *)
    •  to Logos resources
    • other notes,
    • website pages,
    • images,
    • powerpoint presentations/excel on local machine,
    • mp3 sermon files, movie files and other media
    •  etc

I would also like POP-UP links to bible refs, logos resoucres etc

Then I would like to have some form of notes in notes!! i.e. pop-up notes on the note! - Important for annotation e.g. I copy a bible text, or extract from dictionary and want to highlight and annotate a word or phrase in the copied text in my base note. (Like you can do in word with annotation/revision notes) (If notes were able to be linked and pop-ups enabled this would be happen automatically just by creating another note and linking)

Bob I know you don't want to make a word processor BUT quality notes are a vital and important part of Bible study. Using separate programs is not ideal because, for example:

It disrupts workflow (and possibly though processes) - It is a pain switching between two programs (e.g. Word and Logos)

if the note is in Word, say, - it is difficult when viewing Word to LINK back to reources and bible text etc - especially when viewing older notes. - notes within Logos could incorporate pop-up links etc which is MUCH more convenient

I'm glad notes are now fully searchable - need to keep this (maybe extend with regular expression searching too - both within and external to notes!).

I like tags and attachements too e.g. If it's a sermon note I'd like to link and/or attach the mp3 sermon file and powerpoint for that sermon

Thanks again for listening. Let's hope that this improvement will ensure Logos 4 remains the number one and most popular Bible-Study resource available.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:09 AM

rayeaglenest@gmail.com:

I agree with your idea of keeping note files simple--I have used them a lot in logos 3.  Don't go to the bother of making a full fledged word-processor.  If people want fancy text, they could create it in the mechanism of their choice and then import it.

I liked how in logos 3 a note could be attached to any word in any sentence of a given resource. 

But the version in logos 4 seems to lump all notes attached to parts of a sentence to the beginning of that sentence.  This destroys the context and makes me write context to make sense of the note.  Quite a loss.  Especially since if I have three different notes in a long sentence, I get three little tags, and I have no idea which one is addressing the part I want until a mouse over the list.  Am I missing something?

Also, I want to import all my notes from logos 3, and these are context driven, placed at the very point in the text where they are desired.  Will this information be lost?  I hope not.  It would mean I would have to update all those notes to make sense of them.  Losing the point of attachment seriously degrades the function as a quick note.  For example, the old way:   we can highlight 3 words, and add the note "bravo!" and we know exactly what we mean with very little work.

Rich has already responded to part of this so I will not deal with how notes attach, but if you have trouble distinguishing separate notes attached to one location perhaps you should consider simply combining the notes.  If you desire to keep them separate, perhaps the notes are of different types ?  In that case you might consider changing the color of the icon to distinguish them.  You might wish to establish your own convention:  Yellow is exegetical; red is topical; green is homiletical -- or whatever you choose.

I don't advocate making notes a full-fledged word processor either, but I do think it should have at least the abilities it had in L3.  It isn't there yet.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:22 AM

JamesHudson:
hyperlinks (* Very very  important *)

•  to Logos resources
  • other notes,
  • website pages,
  • images,
  • powerpoint presentations/excel on local machine,
  • mp3 sermon files, movie files and other media
  •  etc

A MUST imo.  +1 Yes (Esp. the first 2)

Posts 1
J. Dean Garber | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:32 AM

Bob,

How about just a way to easily print a notes page?  I use notes for prayer lists, etc., to go along with my Bible reading, and would love to have a way to easily print a page or two of notes to take with me.

Thanks

Page 5 of 5 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS