BUG: Morph parsing info in status-bar clipped

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 8 2010 6:14 AM

The status-bar notes that show morphological parsing, underlying word, etc when moving the mouse over a word in the Bible (ESV, say) is clipped when the panel is not wide-enough.  In the Windows version the morphological info is not shown in a status bar, but in a popup similar to the one that shows when hovering over a verse ref or footnote ref.  And the Windows version doesn’t clip the popup, but resizes it to fit the contents of the morphological info.

Also, the Windows way (I sound like a heretic now) - using a popup with white background - is much better than the current Mac way of showing morphological info on a hard-to-read dark gray status bar with a tiny font and clipped text.

Please can the Mac version be changed to match the Windows behaviour (using popups instead of the status bar)?

See the status bar at the bottom of the screenshot below:

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 7:14 AM

Stuart Robertson:

The status-bar notes that show morphological parsing, underlying word, etc when moving the mouse over a word in the Bible (ESV, say) is clipped when the panel is not wide-enough.  In the Windows version the morphological info is not shown in a status bar, but in a popup similar to the one that shows when hovering over a verse ref or footnote ref.  And the Windows version doesn’t clip the popup, but resizes it to fit the contents of the morphological info.

Also, the Windows way (I sound like a heretic now) - using a popup with white background - is much better than the current Mac way of showing morphological info on a hard-to-read dark gray status bar with a tiny font and clipped text.

Please can the Mac version be changed to match the Windows behaviour (using popups instead of the status bar)?

See the status bar at the bottom of the screenshot below:

I am assuming that this is a floating panel? I don't want to come across as my way is better than your way. But I really prefer it in the status bar myself. Is there a reason that you have the floating window so small? The text would not be clipped if you were full screen or docked.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 8:56 AM

I use floating panels a fair bit, esp. when reading through another book in PDF in a window alongside Logos.  I shrunk the window vertically so the screenshot wouldn't be too big, but the width was kept at the same size that I use when putting the floating panel next to my PDF copy of Dr. Piper's Finally Alive.  What I like about the windows way (popups) is that they appear closer to the window of interest.  For example, in my standard study layout (shown below) when mousing over a word in one of the Bible panels (at the top) the definition appears way down and to the left at the bottom of the screen...  anyway, that's a preference I guess.  The clipped parsing info is a bug, though - and one that will be hard to fix if the status bar is used (unlike Windows).

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 10:12 AM

Stuart,

We already have a bug filed for this. We will revisit how we handle the parsing information in a future release. Initially we chose the status bar on Mac because it's screen real estate we had to use because of the drag handle on the window. Windows doesn't have that problem because you can resize windows from any border.

Unfortunately, we have two choices when all the text doesn't fit: wrap or clip. Having the pop up window would allow us to wrap, but the status bar is height constrained, so we have to clip for now.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 10:35 AM

Tom Philpot:
Initially we chose the status bar on Mac because it's screen real estate we had to use because of the drag handle on the window

I kinda figured as much... thanks for the explanation, though.  I'm eagerly awaiting each new release of Logos for Mac.  Apart from various little issues it is already quite usable.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS