Search Shortcut

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3764
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 8 2010 6:16 AM

Is it possible to set up a shortcut to search the most recently (i.e. currently) read resource.  I can set up a shortcut to search all open resources, but not one that defaults to the book I am currently reading.  Once I have search open, I can choose the current resource; I would like to put a shortcut on my shortcut bar that will open a search in the current book.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 8:22 AM

Floyd Johnson:

Is it possible to set up a shortcut to search the most recently (i.e. currently) read resource.  I can set up a shortcut to search all open resources, but not one that defaults to the book I am currently reading.  Once I have search open, I can choose the current resource; I would like to put a shortcut on my shortcut bar that will open a search in the current book.

Floyd, you might want to put this on the suggestions subforum (unless, as you were probably thinking--there was a way to do it already).  I don't know of such a way, but I have never tried it.  (also, email it at "suggest" to Logos, and create a uservoice suggestion for it.  Is your need beyond what "ctrl F" would do for you?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 8:56 AM

Floyd -- You can add a shortcut to search a specific book once you've run a search on that resource. Just right-click on a word in the resource, choose "Selection" and "Search this resource," and once the Search panel opens, drag the tab to the shortcut bar.

Posts 9468
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 9:25 AM

Floyd Johnson:
Is it possible to set up a shortcut to search the most recently (i.e. currently) read resource.

I guess you can tell the answer is no. Shortcuts are resource specific. As Dan said this could be offered as a suggestion. I guess my question would be the utility of it. In your thinking, how would having this option be better than using the right click menu to do this?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3764
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2010 4:30 PM

Mark A. Smith:
I guess you can tell the answer is no. Shortcuts are resource specific. As Dan said this could be offered as a suggestion. I guess my question would be the utility of it. In your thinking, how would having this option be better than using the right click menu to do this?

I guess the same could be said about layouts - why have a shortcut, I could use the layout menu.  It just makes sense to me to have a single icon to begin a search of the current resource.  Obviously, the powers that be don't like the idea - I'll let it go.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 4:36 AM

Floyd,

Are you saying that in addition to the "search all open resources" option and "search the "??? bible" option that you'd like a right click "search currently active resource" option?

I don't see why that should be a bad thing...I think that would be useful.

Also, please don't take others questions as "the powers that be are shutting me down"...we just want to know what you are thinking and wondering if you are aware of other ways to do things...ok?

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 4:57 AM

Melissa Snyder:

Floyd -- You can add a shortcut to search a specific book once you've run a search on that resource. Just right-click on a word in the resource, choose "Selection" and "Search this resource," and once the Search panel opens, drag the tab to the shortcut bar.

Thanks - created a shortcut from a search in a resource - clicking shortcut does search again with results shown in a new tab - can click results to open or position resource.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3764
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2010 12:41 PM

Let me address the two parts of your reply:

Robert Pavich:
Are you saying that in addition to the "search all open resources" option and "search the "??? bible" option that you'd like a right click "search currently active resource" option?

I don't see why that should be a bad thing...I think that would be useful.

Actually, that is currently available - right click allows us to choose "Search this resource".  What I was asking is there some way to create a shortcut to this selection and place it on the menu bar with other shortcuts?

Robert Pavich:
Also, please don't take others questions as "the powers that be are shutting me down"...we just want to know what you are thinking and wondering if you are aware of other ways to do things...ok?

First, I do not ever remember Melissa replying to a question by asking, "Is this necessary?"  I may be wrong; if so, forgive me.  But I was reacting to Andrew's comment as well:

I respect where you are coming from, but around here if you don't have an edge you or your suggestions will get bullied out of the forums. I really would like it not to be that way as much as you do Dan, but it is not the case.

I have reached a point where an edge (that I do not have) is not necessary if the powers that be (i.e. Melissa, et al.) think the idea is unneeded.  I have seen this happen enough to know it is easier to walk away than get in the midst of discussion that will go nowhere.  

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 11 2010 11:21 AM

Floyd Johnson:
Actually, that is currently available - right click allows us to choose "Search this resource".  What I was asking is there some way to create a shortcut to this selection and place it on the menu bar with other shortcuts?

Yes, there is -- just drag that option from the context menu to the shortcut bar. I should have thought of that initially to include in my first reply.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 11 2010 12:04 PM

Melissa Snyder:

Floyd Johnson:

Yes, there is -- just drag that option from the context menu to the shortcut bar. I should have thought of that initially to include in my first reply.

If I do a Morph search and drag the icon to the shortcut bar Logos will do a morph search of the last search range I used in a Bible search. Is there anyway to create a shortcut that will do a morph search of the entire Bible regardless of the last range I selected? To me, this is a bug.

Posts 3764
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 11 2010 2:48 PM

Melissa Snyder:
just drag that option from the context menu to the shortcut bar. I should have thought of that initially to include in my first reply

Either I am misunderstanding you or you are misunderstanding me - if I follow your directions, I get a search shortcut to THE CURRENT RESOURCE.  For example, if I have the ESV open and follow your instructions, I get a shortcut that allows me to search the ESV.

What I want is a shortcut that will allow me to search the current resource.  If I am using the ESV and hit the shortcut, I open a search to the ESV.  If I am using a volume of the Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible, I open a search to that volume of the  ZEB.  If I am using The Open Bible Notes and hit the shortcut, I begin a search of the Open Bible Notes.  

In other words, the shortcut should be generic to begin a search of whatever the most recently used resource happens to be.

I am guessing the answer is "no" -  though I still think it would be useful.  Or did I misunderstand your suggestion?

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 26521
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 11 2010 9:20 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Or did I misunderstand your suggestion?

No. It is very specific and not the generic shortcut you were asking about.

I cannot see that it is possible - even the Commands bible search for ....., search for ...... have a predefined set of resources.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS