When new volumes of sets are released....

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 431
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 13 2010 6:56 PM

Let's just take the Anchor Yale Bible: Nahum for example.

I don't have the AYBC at this time.  Lets say I bought this collection a month AFTER the Nahum volume was released.  Would the Nahum volume be in the AYBC or would it still need to be bought separately?  

Wilson Hines

Posts 19349
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2010 8:13 PM

Wilson Hines:

I don't have the AYBC at this time.  Lets say I bought this collection a month AFTER the Nahum volume was released.  Would the Nahum volume be in the AYBC or would it still need to be bought separately?  

Typically there is a bit of a lag time between when new volumes are released (as separate resources) and when the collections they go with are updated to include the new volumes. I'm not sure I could tell you for sure whether a month after the Nahum volume is released the AYBC will have been updated to include it. But it will eventually be included.

If you're trying to decide whether to buy the Nahum volume now because you expect to be able to afford AYB at some point a month or more from now but can't afford it just yet, talk to your sales rep about it. He might be able to let you buy Nahum on prepub now, with the understanding that you plan to buy AYB within say 2 months, and if AYB includes Nahum by the time you buy it, he'll let you return the stand-alone Nahum even if it's beyond the 30 day limit. You'd need to negotiate with him the time limit within which you can do this. I'm not positive a sales rep would be authorized to do this, but mine has sometimes been able to let me return things more than 30 days after I bought them because I later bought a bundle which included the thing I'd bought earlier.

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2010 5:52 PM

Wilson Hines:

I've got the reverse problem; I wish Logos would know I own a collection and explicitly notify me when a new volume hits pre-pub.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2010 6:08 PM

Ward Walker:

I've got the reverse problem; I wish Logos would know I own a collection and explicitly notify me when a new volume hits pre-pub.

YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes

Posts 19349
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2010 6:28 PM

Ward Walker:

Yes, that would be great!

I tend to follow the Logos pre-pubs RSS feed (http://feeds.feedburner.com/LogosPrepubs), so I do generally find out about new volumes in collections I own before it's too late to order them on prepub. Do you follow that feed in a feed reader, or do you have Logos Pre-Pubs turned on in your Logos Home Page content?

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2010 7:07 PM

Rosie Perera:
Typically there is a bit of a lag time between when new volumes are released (as separate resources) and when the collections they go with are updated to include the new volumes.

I am interested in your observation. So far mine has been that it usually takes a long time for new volumes to be included in collections. For example, the New American Commentary. The set contains 31 volumes but 8 additional volumes have been released since the set was put together and still the only way to purchase these is one book at a time. http://www.logos.com/products/details/1515  I know that I picked up two of these additional volumes off of pre-pub last December, a third one was released two years ago (October, 2008).

EDIT: When I upgraded a year ago to Logos 4 I got 37 NAC volumes. So I picked up all but the two released in December 2009. I ended up owning the volume on Exodus for a year before it was included in my new Scholar's Platinum edition. So Logos did add the extra volumes but only with the new Logos Scholar's Library Platinum (Gold/Silver) release a year ago.

Bottom line: the NAC 'collection' is still short 8 volumes after at least two years. I operate on the principle that a collection will not be upgraded for a long time.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 19349
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2010 7:31 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
Typically there is a bit of a lag time between when new volumes are released (as separate resources) and when the collections they go with are updated to include the new volumes.

I am interested in your observation. So far mine has been that it usually takes a long time for new volumes to be included in collections. For example, the New American Commentary. The set contains 31 volumes but 8 additional volumes have been released since the set was put together and still the only way to purchase these is one book at a time. http://www.logos.com/products/details/1515

I haven't made a systematic observation of this, but you are quite right. I see that the College Press NIV Commentary Upgrade shipped 7/7/2010, and it hasn't been encorporated into the full collection yet. I think I was thinking of the Calvin Commentaries upgrade which was encorporated immediately into the new Calvin 500 collection while the 108 volume upgrade was available separately to those who already owned Calvin's commentaries. But I guess that's a different beast. There are some cases where the upgrade has been encorporated into the full collection. For example, the WBC Upgrade is still available to purchase, but the old WBC collection is no longer available and all those volumes are now part of the full WBC. However, I don't know how long it took to do this. It might have been a while.

When I said "a bit of a lag time" I wasn't intending to imply that it's ever a short time.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2010 7:44 PM

Certainly is a mixed experience.  When the original Hermeneia was upgraded, the "collection" CDs were quickly upgraded replacing the older ones within weeks.  Now we are facing a new volume being released "Odes of Solomon" which is included ONLY in the second upgrade collection and is apparenty not yet available to those who own earlier releases.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 15 2010 12:16 AM

Rosie Perera:
tend to follow the Logos pre-pubs RSS feed (http://feeds.feedburner.com/LogosPrepubs), so I do generally find out about new volumes in collections I own before it's too late to order them on prepub. Do you follow that feed in a feed reader, or do you have Logos Pre-Pubs turned on in your Logos Home Page content?

I have subscribed to emails telling me of new prepubs, community pricing, etc.  I find this more convenient than having my homepage padded out with lots of old info I already know.

Posts 19349
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 15 2010 12:48 AM

nicky crane:

I have subscribed to emails telling me of new prepubs, community pricing, etc.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that option. I don't see it among the options of emails one can subscribe to on one's logos.com Account page, though:

Anyway, I have more of a problem with my email inbox getting overwhelmed. So I like having prepub announcements in a stream of their own on my feed reader (Google Reader). I can mark them all read with one stroke of the mouse. And I check the prepub page on the Logos website periodically, too.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 15 2010 2:15 AM

Rosie Perera:
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that option. I don't see it among the options of emails one can subscribe to on one's logos.com Account page, though:

Nor do I see it.  Maybe it comes because I'm signed up for Greek and Hebrew interest groups.

It comes from customer service, so anyone who wants it could presumably contact them...

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 15 2010 2:54 AM

nicky crane:
It comes from customer service, so anyone who wants it could presumably contact them..

That looks like an email generated by Feedburner from the PrePub RSS feed. Perhaps the new website will offer that as an option?

Posts 431
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 15 2010 10:31 AM

To further the conversation with another actual and relevant circumstance:

What about the NICNT and the new Gospel of John commentary by Ramsey?? Here's a fascinating interview with the author. 

What would be the lag time for this?  It doesn't really matter much, it will be next year at the least before I pick up this series, but I would like to have this volume in the talley of books. 

To pollute this further.  The current NICNT on John by Morris is very well respected.  What would be the chances of getting both volumes.  I know there are several of the NIC commentaries being offered in prepub that are older volumes; volumes that have already been replaced and are now being offered as a plus of "having that much more material."  

I've been comparing information on the Logos, CBD, and Amazon pages until my eyes are starting to bleed. 

Herein lies one of the those complexities of a "digital library" that you just don't quite have to put up with on a book shelf.  But, of course, the s benefits far outweigh any issues of frustration. 

Wilson Hines

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 15 2010 6:26 PM

Rosie Perera:

Ward Walker:

Yes, that would be great!

I tend to follow the Logos pre-pubs RSS feed (http://feeds.feedburner.com/LogosPrepubs), so I do generally find out about new volumes in collections I own before it's too late to order them on prepub. Do you follow that feed in a feed reader, or do you have Logos Pre-Pubs turned on in your Logos Home Page content?

Rosie, Yep, I do use RSS--but I need something more overt regarding the interrelationships beyond the immediate context--either that or I need to cut way, way down on my RSS feeds... Angel

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 15 2010 7:35 PM

Wilson Hines:
What about the NICNT and the new Gospel of John commentary by Ramsey??

I think Logos will first push Ramsey as a separate item. So I would expect if it is released in the next year that it would not be blended into the set for some time. Unless. Unless they decide they want only the newest volumes in the base collection, in which case they might substitute Ramsey for Morris pretty quickly.

The thing is, if they add Ramsey to the existing collection you will still have to pay extra for it and that amount probably will be close to the pre-pub price for the resource. If they substitute, the price may go up slightly (Ramsey will list for more than Morris, I'm sure), but you'd still have to buy Morris individually.Waiting until it is merged into the set could be a significant wait and might not be worth the few dollars saved.

So in this case if you don't want NIC now, wait and see what develops. If you do need or want it now, you won't lose much in having to add Ramsey later.

It would be great to be able to be more definitive.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS