What's your benchmark?

Page 12 of 15 (299 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last »
This post has 298 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 56
Larry Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2011 11:50 AM

This community is the best!  Every post that I have made with a problem got answered almost immediately.  These forums are the best I have ever been involved with.  It may have to do with the fact that our common love is the bible.  Yes

I am a member of a gaming forum that is considered to be the most elite of gaming forums, and the fights that happen there are terrible.  Here at Logos, it's a breath of fresh air for me.

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2011 2:44 PM

If I may make a suggestion to those who are thinking about buying hardware to making Logos run better-

Before you buy anything, check your computer.

1.  Open up the resource monitor (control alt delete).  If you have Vista or 7, click on the "performance" tab.  Identify the two meters-CPU Usage and Memory

2.  Now, open up Logos, and watch to see what happens to the meters- do they peg out?

3.  Now do a search in Logos- not an easy one, but a search that puts logos through its paces.  For instance, do a morphology search on the Hebrew article and the Hebrew vav  (at the same time).  Again, what happens to your two meters? 

4.  If the meters are pegging, or running high, then you should do better with getting that particular piece of software.  (CPU or Memory).  As far as the HD is concerned.  The faster the seek time, the faster the read write time, the faster the I/O is, the better off you are, period.

Of course, this is all just my opinion-those of you with more building expereince than me, PLEASE chime in if I have said anything wrong.  I wouldn't want anyone to waste money on hardware when they can use it to buy more books!  Wink

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2011 2:53 PM

Bob Schlessman:

Jems:
Hardware Tests (Score: 25)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 112 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 189 MB/s

Jems,

I am surprised that you aren't gettting a better score than this with SSD's in RAID configuration. My score for the hard drive is 20 with just a run of the mill 500 GB Seagate drive.

Along those same lines I installed a single 40 GB SSD and installed WIndows 7 on it in a dual boot configuration  with my existing system. Though I saw my boot time cut in half I didn't see much increase in overall performance and my Benchmark on it was only 12. Needless to say I was pretty disappointed. I wiped the drive and returned it. I am beginning to think that SSD's are over rated. Or perhaps it is just the particular model I chose to try out.

As others have said, it really is a problem with the Benchmarking software.  That is why I gave the numbers from a program that can isolate and benchmark HD's at various transfer sizes and file sizes.  My top speed is about 550MB/s, which is VERY fast.

The problem is, my HD is only 110 Gigs, so I automatically get marked down quite a bit for that.  My windows score for my HD however, is a 7.9.

May I suggest you take a look at http://downloadsoftwareuniverse.com/download.php?view.4332 as a better benching software,as it gives you a full reading.  It is what I got my full set of numbers in an above post from.

Posts 24928
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2011 4:06 PM

Charles J Tondee:
I still seem to get some "lag" (if that is the correct term) especially when typing notes and trying to select verse for copy even with minimal books open. Is this pretty normal?  My computer is probably a mid range computer i was just expecting it to handle Logos a little better.

This is so variable, even with similar hardware and OS. Poor response in Notes is acknowledged by Logos but I have no problem selecting verses. There is a small lag when opening a tab in my Layout for the first time and this is common to my Desktop and Laptop.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 4:54 AM

Jems:

May I suggest you take a look at http://downloadsoftwareuniverse.com/download.php?view.4332 as a better benching software,as it gives you a full reading.  It is what I got my full set of numbers in an above post from.

I know from years of building and using computers that benchmark software can be very misleading at times. But I was misled like a noobie by Novabench. Sad That said, I still didn't see enough overall increase in performance with the SSD to justify hanging onto it. If it had been large enough to hold Logos 4 and MS Office it might have been a different story since those are the apps that I use 90% of the time.

Thank you Jems for the link and I will download and try the software.

Blessings,

Bob

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 23 2011 6:12 AM

Okay. One final upgrade to my home desktop system. I found a Core 2 Quad Q8400 on eBay and obtained it for $110.00. Not bad since the retail price on them is $170.00. Anyhow it boosted my Novabench score considerably.

NovaBench Score: 814

2/23/2011 7:59:58 AM
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Intel Core2 Q8400 2.66GHz @ 2974 MHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

4096 MB System RAM (Score: 116)
- RAM Speed: 4456 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 427)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 102405448
- Integer Operations/Second: 362811756
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 1010775

Graphics Tests (Score: 252)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 733

Hardware Tests (Score: 19)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 155 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 76 MB/s

My old score with the E8200 was 673. The load time for Logos 4 dropped from 24 seconds to 19 seconds for initial startup. Needless to say I am very pleased with the performance boost. However this is my final upgrade one this system. My next purchase will be a new system, but that is quite a ways down the road in a year or two.

Posts 38
Christian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 26 2011 7:42 PM

Bob Schlessman:

Jems:

I know from years of building and using computers that benchmark software can be very misleading at times. But I was misled like a noobie by Novabench. Sad That said, I still didn't see enough overall increase in performance with the SSD to justify hanging onto it. If it had been large enough to hold Logos 4 and MS Office it might have been a different story since those are the apps that I use 90% of the time.

Thank you Jems for the link and I will download and try the software.

Blessings,

Bob

LOL- happens to all of us! 

For me, it's not even the read-write time as much as its the seek time.  That is where I see the most difference.  I agree with you though, Definitely need a drive big enough to hold office and L4.  Those are my two biggest software packages as well. 

Next you want to go down that route-here is what I got, and am very happy with it.

(Set link to open in new window).

EDIT:  Oh yeah, I am sure you know and messed with this, but just in case---  sometimes you have to load new drivers as well.  Not sure why.  I wonder if that was part of you problem, or that plus a SSD that didn't have a good Read/write speed.

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 12:30 PM

Toshiba Satellite p500 64 gb ssd 500 gb 7200 rpm sata 8 gig ram 1 gb discrete graphics mem.

NovaBench score 830

2/28/2011 12:14:23 PM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i7 Q 740 1.73GHz @ 1734 MHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

8061 MB System RAM (Score: 171)
- RAM Speed: 7269 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 516)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 203554520
- Integer Operations/Second: 490055224
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 665180

Graphics Tests (Score: 130)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 398

Hardware Tests (Score: 13)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 58 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 98 MB/s

I finally have a machine that runs Logos 4 fast enough to not be annoying. I cannot reccomend Toshiba at this time due to their customer service (Although if you can get Archie he is wonderful)

Posts 16
Bill Armstrong | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 3 2011 10:52 PM
NovaBench Score: 1309

3/3/2011 10:49:42 PM
Intel Core i7 970 3.20GHz @ 3201 MHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 420

12280 MB System RAM (Score: 202)
- RAM Speed: 8438 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 910)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 311466516
- Integer Operations/Second: 1137216876
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 1024588

Graphics Tests (Score: 107)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 334

Hardware Tests (Score: 90)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 1850 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 146 MB/s

This is a new pc which replaced my old P4. 

Posts 22
Arttu Hiekkanen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 16 2011 8:40 AM

Verified NovaBench Score: 191

Test run on April 16, 2011
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHz running at 2800 MHz

NVIDIA GeForce 6200 GPU

2047 MB System RAM (Score: 95)
- RAM Speed: 1411 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 84)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 15552045
- Integer Operations/Second: 44132559
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 422047

Graphics Tests (Score: 9)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 36

Hardware Tests (Score: 3)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 29 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 9 MB/s

This configuration is close to the absolute minimum for Logos 4. The main weaknesses of this old system are the single core processor and slow HD. My microATX motherboard has all the best pieces but they just won't do anymore. Lousy performance for a desktop. Too bad I'm a seminary student and don't really have the means to upgrade :P

Posts 1783
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2011 8:01 AM

Bob Schaefer:

Just curious: What are your results on the free NovaBench benchmark (www.novabench.com)? How does Logos 4 perform on your computer?

I posted my score to show you all that not every user of Logos 4 has the newest and the best computers. 

Some of its loyal long time users only can afford to buy "new outdated" net books runing windows xp home addition.

It might be a little slow, but it is still a lot better then my original CompuBiblia - Logos 2.0Wink

The CompuBiblia in spanish with is grand total of 4 spanish bibles, is the only reason I bought a logos product. Yes

So I hope you all remember better then I do, the verse in the bible that must of you learned in Sunday of Saboth  School.Embarrassed

"Pride come before a CRASH"  Thomas 20:11

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2011 8:32 AM

Tom Rach:

So I hope you all remember better then I do, the verse in the bible that must of you learned in Sunday of Saboth  School.Embarrassed

"Pride come before a CRASH"  Thomas 20:11

My sympaties.  I thought the benchmark on my "old" laptop was poor, but this is worse.  Hope you're able to upgrade soon.  Remember that other verse we all learned

No cash, you crash.  Hezekiah 6:15

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 56
Larry Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2011 10:08 AM

I'm one of the posters that had a very high score.  The PC I posted with was a replacement for one that went bad.  I prayed long and hard for my new PC with high Novabench, and I make no apologies for it.

Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Posts 1783
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2011 5:58 PM

George Somsel:

My sympaties.  I thought the benchmark on my "old" laptop was poor, but this is worse.  Hope you're able to upgrade soon.  Remember that other verse we all learned

No cash, you crash.  Hezekiah 6:15

George, this note book is my upgrade.Big Smile  Just bought it less then a year ago at the local Sam´s here in southern mexico. 

It has worked fine for powepoint presentacions.  Smile 

It does not weigh too much, is small.  It fits in my older laptop carrying case (from my old hp that died), along with my spanish bible and songbook. Big Smile

I am upgrading, I am just doing it slower than others.Surprise

George, I think your quote from Hezekia 6:15 really hit the mark. Yes

But it should be cross referenced with "Naomi 6:1".Wink   You know the part where Naomi and her daugher in law from the land of Crash, mets up with an old geezer how has a lot of Cash.Wink

Posts 1783
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2011 6:26 PM

Tom Rach:

George, as you can see, my NEW Netbook got a score of 153 Yes, while my five year old Compac Presario Desk Top only got 151 No

And they work fine, they alow me time to warm up my coffee in the Micro while the program is loading, etc.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2011 8:04 PM

Tom Rach:

That reminds me of Aesop's fable regarding the Tortoise and the Hare.  The tortoise said, "I'm running; I just do it slower than the others."  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1783
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2011 8:12 PM

George Somsel:
"I'm running; I just do it slower than the others."  Wink

By the way,  I have always liked your quote by Hus.

Posts 71
Paul Buckhiester | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 9:51 AM

Dell XPS 15

Verified NovaBench Score: 962

Test run on April 27, 2011

Intel Intel Core i72720QM 2.20GHz running at 2201 MHz

Intel HD Graphics Family GPU

8107 MB System RAM (Score: 195)
- RAM Speed: 12011 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 681)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 204694264
- Integer Operations/Second: 733906864
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 1015075

Graphics Tests (Score: 36)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 124

Hardware Tests (Score: 50)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 684 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 123 MB/s

Associate your username with this score by adding it to your profile.
Register below or login above. Creating a profile is free.

• Username
  • Email
  • Password

• Email address won't be displayed.
    It may only used to send very infrequent NovaBench updates.
    You can opt-out at any time - Privacy Policy

Keep this score anonymous

Delete this score
Posts 71
Paul Buckhiester | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 10:34 AM

Got .11

Posts 35
Kevin Weaver | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 7:52 PM

hp pavilion laptop. about 8m old.

NovaBench Score: 349

4/27/2011 9:43:58 PM
AMD Turion II P520 DualCore @ 2300 MHz
Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

3835 MB System RAM (Score: 101)
- RAM Speed: 2276 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 198)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 48353126
- Integer Operations/Second: 126286110
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 610582

Graphics Tests (Score: 25)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 87

Hardware Tests (Score: 25)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 277 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 78 MB/s

Page 12 of 15 (299 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS