Bible Dictionary and Commentary Set, best bang for your buck

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 20
Sean Collins | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 26 2010 6:32 PM

I recently purchased the Scholar's Edition of Logos and though there has been a learning curve I have been greatly blessed because of it. I have only purchased one book so far because of my budget, however I have been looking for 1) a new Bible dictionary (based on browsing the forums the reccomendations are Yale or ISBE) 2) and/or a new commentary set (ie Pulpit, though if I upgrade down the road, I will be chunking $ out the window, Bible Expositor's Commentary, etc.) 

Any guidance, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Sean

Posts 8523
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 6:54 PM

Sean,

Both questions have been asked frequently here, so you are not alone in wanting to know.

Anchor-Yale is scholarly and extensive but not necessarily conservative. ISBE is also good and more conservative. Take your pick. I have both and appreciate having both of them.

For Commentaries I would never recommend the Pulpit Commentary to anyone. For the whole Bible a multi-volume commentary like the Tyndale Commentary would be an excellent choice. This would more than likely not be in a future base collection.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 641
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:04 PM

I second the Tyndale commentary set. Great deal for the price. I would check out this underrated Bible dictionary that is more up to date than the Anchor Bible Dictionary or the ISBE. http://www.logos.com/products/details/5467

Posts 20
Sean Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:11 PM

Mark,

Thank you for your response. I also appreciate the description of both dictionaries, based on that since I have to choose I know which one I would go with as my first choice. I was curious as to if you have had any experience with the Expositors Bible Commentary? Based on your response, I will not pursue the Pulpit commentary set. Again, if I ever upgrade it would be there. I will also check out Tyndale.

As I have been looking at different add-ons, it would be beneficial to add a customer rating section for those not sure of a particular resource. After all, we are using the resources day in and day out. I am sure I am not the only one who has brainstormed this idea. 

Thanks,

Sean

Posts 20
Sean Collins | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:18 PM

My apologies I don't mean to blow up the board, but based on your suggestions I checked out the Tyndale Commentary set (49 Vol). It is 3.0, how would this work? I only have Logos4, I am a young (29, if you call that young) minister and this is my first software program. I do not have the Libronix 3.0 software, so how would I sync up the serial or merge them? Which is what I have read you have to do in order to get older resources to work w/ Logos4

Thanks,

Sean

Posts 641
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:20 PM

The Expositor's set is uneven. Some are really short, some are really long; some good (Genesis and Matthew) and some average. That set is presently being updated and some are even out right now (not with Logos though as far as I know). I would wait to get that one until the fully revised new set comes out.

Posts 641
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:22 PM

Sean Collins:

My apologies I don't mean to blow up the board, but based on your suggestions I checked out the Tyndale Commentary set (49 Vol). It is 3.0, how would this work? I only have Logos4, I am a young (29, if you call that young) minister and this is my first software program. I do not have the Libronix 3.0 software, so how would I sync up the serial or merge them? Which is what I have read you have to do in order to get older resources to work w/ Logos4

Thanks,

Sean

Once you buy the 3.0 discs, you can sync your licenses in 3.0 and then update in 4 and they will sync. Or you can just call Logos customer service with the serial number and they will allow you to download them in 4.

Posts 2135
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:26 PM

Mark A. Smith:
For Commentaries I would never recommend the Pulpit Commentary to anyone.

Just curious as to why you would not recommend the Pulpit Commentary?

Thanks,

Ron

Posts 8523
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:37 PM

Had it for years. Kept trying to get something from it, never did. The homilies were totally useless to me. The commentary on an occasional book was decent but not usually. Very dated. Oceans of words for a few worthwhile sentences.

I realize some people like it, but I am not one of them and would never recommend spending more than a dollar to get a copy. Save your money for something worthwhile.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:42 PM

And I absolutely LOVE the Pulpit Commentaries. One of my favorites actually.

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 1662
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:44 PM

Sean Collins:

Thanks,

Sean

Hey Sean, good questions.  3.0 means it was produced when Libronix 3.0 was Logos' latest and greatest.  I just bought the Tyndale (and use L4 exclusively) and it works like a charm.  What's great about this commentary is it is complete.  Readers also like it quite a bit over at bestcommentaries.com.  An analysis I did of bc rankings showed these top 5 commentary sets broken up into OT and NT

Old Testament
1.) New International Commentary on the Old Testament (NICOT)
2.) Word Biblical Commentary (WBC)
3.) Tyndale Old Testament Commentary (TOTC)
4.) New American Commentary (NAC)*
5.) Anchor Bible Commentary (AB)

New Testament
1.) New International Commentary on the New Testament (NICNT)
2.) New International Greek Testament Commentary (NIGTC)*
3.) Word Biblical Commentary (WBC)
4.) Pillar New Testament Commentary (PNTC)*
5.) Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament (BECNT)*

This was based on the number of first place and second place rankings given by readers.
 * = available in certain base packages

I've been working on these two lists as priority over other resources.  I would say the NICOT/NT, International Critical Commentary (ICC), and the Anchor Bible Commentary (AB) are must haves regardless of the list.

Posts 1662
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 8:10 PM

I guess the rest of each list is apropriate as well:

OT (Continued)
6.) New International Version Application Commentary (NIVAC)
7.) New International Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament (NIBC)
8.) Bible Speaks Today Commentary (BST)
9.) Hermenaia Commentary (HERM)
10.) Focus on the Bible Commentary (FB)
11.) Baker Exegetical Commentary on the Old Testament (BECOT)
12.) Old Testament Commentary (OTL)

NT (Continued)
6.) Tyndale New Testament Commentary (TNTC)
7.) International Critical Commentary (ICC)
8.) Expositor's Bible Commentary (EBC)
9.) New American Commentary (NAC)
10.) Socio-Rhetorical Commentary (SRC)
11.) IVP New Testament Commentary (IVPNTC)
12.) New International Version Application Commentary (NIVAC)

- once again these rankings are based off the number of first and second place votes for commentary on each book of the Bible.  Each series listed either had at least 1 first place ranked commentary or 1 second place ranked commentary for at least one book of the Bible.  The top five OT (listed in the post before this one) made up over 82% of first and second place votes while the top five NT made up over 68% of first and second place votes.

Posts 213
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 8:18 PM

The ISBE is one of the best resources I have. Use it all the time. Can't say enough good things about it.  In my opinion, the Expositor's Bible Commentary set avaliable for $129 from Logos every day is by far the best bang for your buck in a whole Bible commentary set.  I agree with the previous comments that it is "uneven" but all commentary sets are to some degree.  Overall, the EBC is a fine and respected set on the entire Bible that will profit you for years. I agree that Tyndale is good. You should get it as well when you have the money. 

Posts 4766
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:56 PM

I haven't seen anyone recommend the Preacher's commentary, this inexpensive 35 volume commentary covers the whole bible  wonderfully. No series is perfect but comparing it to Tyndale I would say Tyndale is a bit more technical and that's ok... but Preacher's has a bit of devotional quality and many homiletical hints. I own both but find my use of Tyndale is very minimal. Check them both out and make up your mind what will be best for you...

http://www.logos.com/products/details/2071

-Dan

Posts 1373
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:21 AM

Sean,

I have scholar's edition too, recently upgraded.  I recommend Tyndale, which I use daily, or WBC, which I also use daily.  WBC is still on sale offer at $499.  It is more detailed and more technical and not always conservative.  I like it because it is thorough and helps me understand what the text says, as well as what other scholars think.  I tend not to be too concerned with textual criticism theories  - the Book in the form in which we have it is the Book God has given us, however it reached us, and I presume God knew what he was doing.  

Tyndale,  you can download - I know, because the CD never reached me (post in Albania is not always reliable), and for which Logos trusted my word and gave me a refund for the non arriving CDBig Smile.  I also use that daily.  I think that is uniformly conservative.  Not as detailed as WBC, but I think it has more about application.

When you can afford it, I would recommend upgrading to Scholars Gold.  That would give you the UBS Translators Handbook, which is my commentary of choice.  I bought it at great expense, not realising it would have been cheaper to upgrade to Gold.  It has still proved to be money well invested.

Posts 1418
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 1:49 AM

Best bang for the buck:

Commentary: Tyndale

http://www.logos.com/products/details/5310

Dictionary: IVP Bundle

http://www.logos.com/products/details/1516

Recommended:

Commentary: MacArthur's NT Bundle

http://www.logos.com/products/details/8132

Dictionary: ISBE

http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/ISBE

On a side note, you should also check out the Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament Bundle:

http://www.logos.com/products/details/3888

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 2:24 AM

Mark A. Smith:

Had it for years. Kept trying to get something from it, never did. The homilies were totally useless to me. The commentary on an occasional book was decent but not usually. Very dated. Oceans of words for a few worthwhile sentences.

I realize some people like it, but I am not one of them and would never recommend spending more than a dollar to get a copy. Save your money for something worthwhile.

Mark i second all the above. I never use mine.

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 2:45 AM

I am considering upgrading to platinum and have done my home work and noticed several commentary sets. Will this meet my commentary needs or could I spend that money for say 2 commentary sets and be better off.  Some of the resources in platinum  I will never use especially the Greek and Hebrew volumes. The cost to upgrade to platlinum is $847

thanks

Posts 213
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 7:05 AM

Sam, you might consider splitting the difference and upgrading to Gold - saving around $300. In my opinion, the best bang for your buck is always upgrading packages until you get to Gold. After that it depends on individual needs. Going to Gold gets you the New American Commentary (covering both OT/NT but not complete yet) and the UBS Handbook Series - which is fast becoming one of my most valuable commentaries. Since the Greek/Hebrew tools aren't your overriding consideration, in my opinion you might be better off to get to Gold and then buy selected commentary sets (WBC, EBC, etc.)  Also, no matter what package you have, you will need to buy a top notch Bible dictionary/encyclopedia because none of the packages have them.  That's another advantage of getting at least to Gold. It gives you the Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible - not nearly as good as ISBE, but superior to all of the dictionaries in your present package. It is servicable until you can afford to add ISBE or Anchor Yale. The Bible dictionary/encyclopedia issue is an easy one to overlook, but it is important.

Personally, I "bought in" at Scholars and then upgraded to Silver and then to Gold. So, I am speaking from experience over the last two years as a pastor who prepares to preach and teach every week.

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 7:48 AM

Greg Corbin:
you will need to buy a top notch Bible dictionary/encyclopedia because none of the packages have them.  That's another advantage of getting at least to Gold. It gives you the Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible - not nearly as good as ISBE, but superior to all of the dictionaries in your present package. It is servicable until you can afford to add ISBE or Anchor Yale. The Bible dictionary/encyclopedia issue is an easy one to overlook, but it is important.

Thanks Greg for the help and think i will go for the Gold and I do have the Anhor Yeal.

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.