Question: Data Error or Different Sources

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1877
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 14 2010 3:38 PM

I came across what appears to be an anomaly in L4, though I don't enough Greek or manuscripts to tell for sure. I'm looking at Rev. 20:1, specifically the word "great" as part of the phrase "great chain" (NASB). In the interlinear for the NAS, it has a single word for "great chain":

You can see this shows as a verb, which is what first looked off to me. Checking the ESV and LEB interlinears, they have the word: μεγάλην (just for "great" - they have ἅλυσιν for "chain"). I can't even paste the Greek manuscript word from the NASB interlinear because if I right-click, it shows a different word, the same as the ESV and LEB interlinears.

Looking at the passage, extending into v. 2 a little further, it looks like the interlinear for NAS might be corrupt or otherwise a little off.

Can anyone help me understand if I'm interpreting this correctly, if they see the same thing in their instance of L4, and what I should do.

Note that this all came up because I did a Bible search in the NASB for <Lemma = lbs/el/σφραγίζω>, and Rev 20:1 showed up for a verbal lemma while "great chain" clearly seems to be a noun.

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 13127
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2010 3:43 PM

My NASB displays fine for Rev 20:1-2, but I am using an updated resource that comes with the current beta version. Perhaps there's a problem that they're in the process of fixing? Maybe someone else with Logos 4.1 can check.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2010 4:43 PM

NASB95.logos4 was updated on Nov 2. Donnie, if you click the "i" button to the right side of your NASB tab, to get the info pane up, scroll to the bottom and check the "Support info". It is fixed in 4.2 beta, our version of NASB95.logos4 is 2010-11-02T22:39:38Z. I bet your version is earlier, and a resource update with 4.2 fixes this (my guess).

Posts 13127
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2010 5:09 PM

I remembered I had 4.1 installed on another account. I checked, and it's fine in 4.1 as well for me. This resource is dated April 2010. I can't think why it's not working for you, but you could trying hiding the NASB, restarting Logos, then unhiding it. That would force a re-download and re-index of that resource only.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2010 5:53 PM

Here is a close up of Dominick hard at work.     (Before acquiring Logos of course)

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1877
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2010 6:10 PM

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. How do I "hide" the NASB? There wasn't anything in my library that looked like a way to hide a resource, and I assuming hiding it is more than just closing tabs.

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2010 6:22 PM

Jerry M:

Here is a close up of Dominick hard at work.     (Before acquiring Logos of course)

And after...

Posts 18577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2010 6:36 PM

Donnie Hale:

Thanks for the reply. How do I "hide" the NASB? There wasn't anything in my library that looked like a way to hide a resource, and I assuming hiding it is more than just closing tabs.

Tools > Program Settings

Scroll down (if necessary) to where it says Hidden Resources and click to expand that.

Drag a title from the Library into that Hidden Resources area.

Restart Logos.

Posts 1877
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 3:06 PM

Mark Barnes:

This resource is dated April 2010. I can't think why it's not working for you, but you could trying hiding the NASB, restarting Logos, then unhiding it. That would force a re-download and re-index of that resource only.

Mark,

With the input from Rosie, I hid the resource, stopped and restarted Logos, and saw the re-index. When I went to the NAS, it said the resource was hidden. So I unhid it, stopped and restarted Logos, and then saw another reindex.

I think I'm worse off now, though. My NAS tabs no longer have the "Display" dropdown to the left of the location field (between parallel resource sets and interlinear buttons). So I can't bring up a reverse interlinear. And if I click on the interlinear button, nothing appears. So I can't even verify if the problem I am seeing has been fixed. Note that I do have 4.1 installed on another laptop, and the NAS was OK there.

What do I do now? I need my NAS!!! :)

Donnie

Posts 24454
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 6:22 PM

As an interim step Donnie try this:-

• start L4 and type the command Rebuild Bible Index

If this does not work upload logs before you restart L4(especially Logos4Indexer.log).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1877
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 7:11 PM

Thanks for the input.

I contacted tech support. We deleted a couple of folders under "Data", and L4 re-downloaded about 935MB worth of data. Once that completed, things seem normal - I have interlinear info in NAS and the Rev. 20:1 issue seems to have been corrected.

A follow-up question: Given these changes, should I run the "rebuild index", "rebuild bible index" (difference?), and/or "merge index" commands at this point?

Thanks for the assistance, folks.

Donnie

Posts 13127
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 16 2010 2:05 AM

Donnie Hale:
A follow-up question: Given these changes, should I run the "rebuild index", "rebuild bible index" (difference?), and/or "merge index" commands at this point?

I wouldn't think that was necessary, I'm sure Logos will have reindexed when you did the download. However, to check, you could run a basic search (that will use your index), or a bible search (that will use your bible index) for the correct Greek word in Rev 20:1 (the one that wasn't displaying earlier) and see if the result returns correctly. Restrict your search to NASB, of course. If the search results are incorrect, then you'll know it's worth issuing the reindex commands.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS