If you want a better price call the sales department, or...?

Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 47 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 29 2010 6:20 PM

So, who are the BEST sales reps in everyone's estimation?  And why??

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 29 2010 6:23 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Tony Thomas:

Calling a sales rep every time that you place an order seems counterproductive since:

1. You are tying up a phone line resulting in longer hold times.

The sales department is separate from the support department, so it is counterproductive only in terms of sales. But if you have an email address for a sales rep, you should get the same price quote you would over the phone.

Tony Thomas:
2. You are requiring Logos to eventually hire more sales reps to take calls.

I discussed that in my post too. Overall, that's a good thing, I think.

Tony Thomas:
3. You are cutting Logos margins by getting lower prices resulting in higher prices for resources for everyone else.

Only if you can show that this program has an overall negative effect on profits, rather than a positive one. It's often true that we'll spend more in a place when we know the sales staff that works there. So even if Logos sells certain items more expensively, if they sell more of them than otherwise, they'll come out ahead.

Tony Thomas:
4. You are probably increasing the price of resources since more staff is required resulting in increased overhead.

Once again, this is only true if you can show that the increase in staff has an overall negative affect on Logos' profits. Maybe you've seen Logos' books. I haven't, but I know that they have a business model that works amazingly well. They're doing something right.

Tony Thomas:
Am I wrong here?  Doesn't buying electronically help to keep costs down?

I think the same way -- at least this seems intuitive to me, even obvious. Yet, Logos seems to keep hiring sales reps, which tells me that the ones they have are more than making up for their wages and other benefits.

I find this interesting.  I work for a distributor and they are driving sales to the web because the transaction costs are much lower and profits are typically higher.  So, this is really hard for me to wrap my head around!

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 29 2010 6:29 PM

Me too Tony

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 29 2010 10:31 PM

Paul Strickert:

If I may ask, Rosie, how much $ do you estimate you've saved by going through a sales rep?

Oh wow, that would be impossible to estimate without going through all my orders and adding it up. And even then it would only be possible if the listed prices on the website now were no different from what they were when I ordered those items through my sales rep. I did save a couple of email exchanges between me and my sales rep which show what I saved on each item in that particular order. The percentage discount varies a lot. For some titles there's no discount at all, some are as little as 7%, but for a couple of large orders (a couple thousand dollars each) the total I saved on the entire order was about 28% off what it would have been.

Tony Thomas:

So, who are the BEST sales reps in everyone's estimation?  And why??

The sales rep names that come up repeatedly as recommendations on the forums are: Dave Kaplan, Jared Bryant, Jim-Ray Higginson, and Santiago Galeano. But I've never heard anyone say anything but rave reviews of their sales reps. I think they are all just as good. None of them can offer you a better price than any of the others. Some newer ones than the above old hands might actually be better to try out because they probably don't have as many customers to keep happy yet and thus might have faster turnaround time on emails. But even with my guy (Jim-Ray) who has been there for several years, I've never had to wait more than 24 hours. And they all take turns handling the generic requests that come in to sales@logos.com or the direct sales phone number, so going those routes will be sure to get you individual attention as well. And then you can request the same sales rep in the future if you felt taken good care of (and if you went through email, you'll know the person's email address for future reference).

Posts 21
Marc Linden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 30 2010 12:12 AM

Getting to know through the forum discussion on the Black Friday Sales about the fact of better prices when calling a sales rep was a shock to me. I have never imagined something like this! By reading this forum discussion now I have the feeling that behind the question there are not only convictions deeply rooted in culture but also some “political believes”. I do not want to comment on that.

Here is my personal experience: I have worked in Japan and bought an English bible (print) there in a bookshop without bargaining over the price. I have worked in China and bought a Chinese bible (print) there on the street without bargaining because it was cheap anyway. Regarding software in China: even so many Christian believers are hardly convinced to buy legal. Some people might say this is “a cultural thing”, too. But that is no excuse for a Christian. I have bought Logos products for **k US $ never thinking about the possibility of bargaining with a sales rep.

When buying a bible—our holy scripture!—there are two things I could never imagine:

1)      How as a customer I want it to pay as few as possible? Hey, it is the most precious thing money can buy!

2)      How as a seller can I not offer a bible for the best price to spread the word?

I know, the bible is a special item. Resources of Logos are different… and Logos is a company in the end—what became very clearer by this promotion and discussion.

But, I want to point out beside the time zone that there is another problem for I guess not so few Logos customers and that is the language. As a non native-speaker of English from Germany I have no problem in reading English resources, but writing becomes a bit inconvenient and talking and especially bargaining is a pain. I am sure that many Logos customers will have the same feeling. Maybe they—because of the language—do not show up here in the forum, but they certainly are out there!

So I have two questions I hope to get clarification from experienced “Power buyers via Sales rep” or from a Logos official:

1)      Will I get the same price when emailing compared to calling my sales rep?

2)      How do I know who is “my” sales rep? Can I assume that’s the guy who answered my Black Friday Sales request? For me, this was the first time to have contact with the Logos sales dept.

Thanks for an answer. I would feel much better with an answer helping to restore transparency.

Blessings,

Joakeim

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 30 2010 12:40 AM

Joakeim:

I have no problem in reading English resources, but writing becomes a bit inconvenient and talking and especially bargaining is a pain.

Let me clarify. There is no bargaining; you simply ask "what is the best price you can offer me" and they will report back to you that price. You take it or leave it. You cannot reply to them and offer less. In short, it works just like the Black Friday sale, only it's available all the time! And you're not limited to only 3 items. Perhaps the deals aren't as good as Black Friday, but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised.

Joakeim:

1)     Will I get the same price when emailing compared to calling my sales rep?

Yes. Emailing is probably most convenient for those in a different time zone.

Joakeim:

2)     How do I know who is “my” sales rep? Can I assume that’s the guy who answered my Black Friday Sales request? For me, this was the first time to have contact with the Logos sales dept.

Yes, you can email back that same guy who responded to your Black Friday request. He is a sales rep, and he will be glad to help you with any requests in the future. So you can consider him to be "your" sales rep, though any one of them will give you the same courteous and prompt service and the same deals.

Posts 21
Marc Linden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 30 2010 12:52 AM

Thanks for your quick and clarifying answer, Rosie!

This is indeed very helpful to know! 

Blessings,

Joakeim

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 30 2010 8:08 AM

Rosie Perera:

Paul Strickert:

If I may ask, Rosie, how much $ do you estimate you've saved by going through a sales rep?

Oh wow, that would be impossible to estimate without going through all my orders and adding it up. And even then it would only be possible if the listed prices on the website now were no different from what they were when I ordered those items through my sales rep. I did save a couple of email exchanges between me and my sales rep which show what I saved on each item in that particular order. The percentage discount varies a lot. For some titles there's no discount at all, some are as little as 7%, but for a couple of large orders (a couple thousand dollars each) the total I saved on the entire order was about 28% off what it would have been.

I appreciate the answer, Rosie.  I wondered if it was worth it to bother going through a sales rep.  The answer:  it depends.  But in some cases, the savings can be significant.  So, thanks again.

Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS