Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 19 2009 5:25 PM

I find the feature of being able to cycle through translations and bible translation by right and left arrow keys VERY handy, but I'd really like to be able to refine the list of what get's cycled through.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm running on my mac native and windows via vmware on mac.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts 3898
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2009 5:32 PM

not exactly sure what you mean by "refine".  And i don't run Mac, but until someone else answers, maybe this is what you mean: for any given bible book you only want certain commentaries to be accessed.  Sounds like what you need to do is

1. create a parallel resource association for the commentaries you want.  For instance, I have a collection of the english bibles (and a couple interlinears) that I want to access.  Instead of having to cycle through a million papyrus fragments, and archaic translations, I made a parallel association called "My Bibles."  So, when I click on a bible passage, my preferred translation pops up, and then it is immediately associated iwth the translations I have selected, and I can right and left arrow them.
  2. Or, you can delete the commentaries you think are useless, if that is the case.

on the windows versions you would look under tools/library management/define resource associations.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 3898
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2009 5:34 PM

that could get laborious if you did 66 resource associations for each bible book.  Does anybody else have a better idea?

Also, perhaps specify what you mean by "refine", or, what is causing you to have this need?

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2009 5:41 PM

On the mac (not sure about the PC), when I do a "Bible and Commentary" Study Passage, I can select the bible or the commentary and then hit the left or right arrows repeatedly. When I do that, it takes me to the next bible text/commentary in some list somewhere (I'm guessing all those that I have installed). I want to refine that list to only cycle through a select set of bibles and commentaries that I define. Like a collection I've defined of my "favorite bibles" or "favorite commentaries".

Does that make more sense?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts 3898
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2009 5:53 PM

that is what I thought you meant.  So, unless mac doesn't allow you to do what I asked, OR, unless someone has a more efficient method, you might want to consider one of the ways I mentioned above.

I explained how I did it for my bibles.  tools/library management/define resource associations.  Then you want to make sure that "parallel association" is selected, and add the commentaries you want, say for "1 Corinthians."  you would name that association however you want (like 1 Corinthians).  Try that, and see how that works.

Wait, now that I think about it . . . you will probably just want to make a list of your favorite commentaries and put whole sets (like WBC, NIC, Anchor, etc) and individual titles in.  Any commentary you want to access for any book of the Bible.  Label it "My Commentaries" (as a suggestion).  MAKE SURE you set a commentary as your "preferred commentary" that has all the books of the bible represented (like the Evangelical Bible Commentary).  Then, when you arrow through your commentaries, it will only go to those that are in the book you are studying, but you will have access to others as you change your scripture reference.  Having your preferred commentary set to something like EBC (or whatever it is called) will ensure that no matter what book you are in, you will have a commentary open for that scripture.  then you can cycle through them.

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2009 6:27 PM

You are correct. That is exactly how to do it in the Windows version. However, that is not yet available in the Mac version.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 3898
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2009 6:33 PM

lol, thanks Dewayne.  Btw, when I was a kid, one of my dad's best friends was named Dewayne Davis.  Missouri.

Posts 10804
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2009 7:51 PM

Mike S.:

I find the feature of being able to cycle through translations and bible translation by right and left arrow keys VERY handy, but I'd really like to be able to refine the list of what get's cycled through.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm running on my mac native and windows via vmware on mac.

Mike

The Mac version does not currently allow you to create custom parallel resource associations. Therefore, the feature that you mention has diminished value. Hopefully, this ability will be added to the Mac version soon.

In the Windows version, you can create parallel associations that will allow you to limit the resources in the cycle and arrange them in any order you desire. I have created multiple associations for the different types of commentaries (critical, exegetical, expositional, devotional, text notes, etc). One caution: Make sure you do not put the same resource in more than one parallel association. 

Morris Proctor describes the procedure for this in Camp Logos 2. You can purchase the DVD and course books from his web site. If I can provide any further assistance, let me know.

Jack

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS