Library Author Listing

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 159
Donn Arms | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 29 2010 8:50 AM

I just downloaded the John MacArthur bundle and now find that I have MacArthur's name listed seven different ways in my author index with the books spread between all seven--but I do not have a complete listing under any one. Can I manually correct this or do I have to plead with the powers that be at Logos to fix it?

Posts 3764
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 29 2010 8:55 AM

Donn Arms:
I just downloaded the John MacArthur bundle and now find that I have MacArthur's name listed seven different ways in my author index with the books spread between all seven--but I do not have a complete listing under any one. Can I manually correct this or do I have to plead with the powers that be at Logos to fix it?

The short answer is "yes" - all the books are listed according to the author given in the original book.  MacArthur has published his books using the various versions of his name.  To officially change the author will take a pleading for MacArthur to make the change for each title.

There is no way for you to change the author's name.  But an easy workaround for yourself would be to tag each of his resources with a single, common version of his name - that you can then use them as part of a search using the "mytag" parameter.  

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 5619
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 29 2010 9:35 AM

Floyd Johnson:

The short answer is "yes" - all the books are listed according to the author given in the original book.  MacArthur has published his books using the various versions of his name.  To officially change the author will take a pleading for MacArthur to make the change for each title.

The funny thing is that the Library of Congress doesn't have a problem with standardizing his name.  Note that the LoC info on the copyright pages has him listed as "MacArthur, John, 1939" no matter what name is on the cover:

Also, it seems that the many entries for MacArthur stem from a confusion on how to use commas and where to place the "Jr" when the last name is listed first, which is probably an error on the part of the resource creator (either Logos or Nelson).  We could eliminate at least four of them if those errors were corrected:

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS