Just got propositioned by a logos forum user...

Page 2 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 85 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 5:44 AM

Even if the forum user database has been hacked, I'm sure the main Logos database which keeps all our purchase info is separate. This spam definitely seems to be tied to the forum only (community.logos.com was mentioned in the body of the message). And our CC info is surely encrypted anyway so even if they broke into that database, the wouldn't get anything of use to them.

I think the level of alarm about this incident has risen enough, though, that I'm going to email Bob himself about it. Will get back to you all on what I hear.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 5:44 AM

I initially signed up for Logos with a .edu address that I don't use anymore. It was still showing up as my "Libronix ID" before the website redesign. Perhaps the license database was the one hacked...

EDIT: Never mind the specific reference to community.logos.com seems to rule this speculation out.

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 5:49 AM

Just found it in my spam folder, sent on Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM.

It looks like (S)he is from the UK FWIW, but even that I can't verify.

In other news.......

CONGRATULATIONS on 7K posts Rosie.  

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 5:57 AM

Thomas Black:

In other news.......

CONGRATULATIONS on 7K posts Rosie.  

Cake Yes

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 6:00 AM

Rosie Perera:
I think the level of alarm about this incident has risen enough, though, that I'm going to email Bob himself about it. Will get back to you all on what I hear.

I wonder if any of this information was on the stolen MACs?

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 6:12 AM

The email address I use for this forum account is one I only use here, it forwards to my regular email (I do this a lot for obvious reasons seen here today!)  And yes, I got one too, so it had to come either from the forums or through Logos. I do not use this email for my Logos purchases, just forums.

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 6:45 AM

Paul Golder:
Not likely Paul, that was just Mac code residing on those computers.  There would be no discernible reason for Forum emails to be sitting on them.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 7:29 AM

hey Rosie, if it was a "hack" then wouldn't they take all of our e-mails?  I didn't receive one either.  It seems too inconsistent.

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 7:30 AM

Rosie Perera:

Even if the forum user database has been hacked, I'm sure the main Logos database which keeps all our purchase info is separate.

Will feel safe when I hear a definite report of the breakin from Logos...

Does Logos staff post on these forums??

Posts 22989
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 7:35 AM

ChinaRunner:
Does Logos staff post on these forums??

Some of them do but may not see all of the posts.

Above Rosie said she was writing to Bob about it and would report back.

Graham

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 7:47 AM

Dominick's post above does strengthen the case for a hack. Even if that's true, it's extremely unlikely that our customer data (e.g. addresses, credit cards) has been compromised, as my understanding is that customer data is kept separate from forum data, with the two databases being regularly synced to one another. But we do need an urgent response from Logos to clarify the situation.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 7:55 AM

I've had one too, and I was definitely never on any news groups (I doubt I even knew what Logos was back then). Nor have I ever posted my e-mail on the forums, even in disguised form. 

Can't say I particularly like this. You'd think a software company would know how to protect our info.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 7:56 AM

Thomas Black:

Paul Golder:
Not likely Paul, that was just Mac code residing on those computers.  There would be no discernible reason for Forum emails to be sitting on them.

I would think so too, especially by what Bob has said.

I was just wondering if something may have slipped by, like an active log-on by someone with access to the emails.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 8:25 AM

i got one too. my spam filter caught it.

This is not good.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 1948
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 8:48 AM

Your email address should not be public. We're looking into this right now to figure out what's going on. The security and privacy of your email address and other personal information is very important to us.

In the future, you can send an email to forums@logos.com to reach me and David Ladiges, the main web developer for the forums.

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 9:10 AM

I did not get this email, fwiw to those trying to figure out what happened...

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Posts 5292
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:26 AM

Michael March:

I did not get this email, fwiw to those trying to figure out what happened...

Never got one either... and i checked through the deleted mail for it too.. I was on the old Logos newsgroups,  but the mac user group was regularly being purged for whatever reason so maybe that explains it.

-Dan

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:32 AM

And this issue is why I do not want any of my personal data (notes, prayers,...) in L4 to also be in the cloud.  Our data will be hacked (it is not a question of if, but when).  And this is why I would like a setting in L4 that allows us to have the option of letting us decide what L4 information can be sent to L4's cloud.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:43 AM

tom collinge:

And this issue is why I do not want any of my personal data (notes, prayers,...) in L4 to also be in the cloud.  Our data will be hacked (it is not a question of if, but when).  And this is why I would like a setting in L4 that allows us to have the option of letting us decide what L4 information can be sent to L4's cloud.

I haven't received my propositional spam yet.  Sad   But even if I were silly enough to respond to another woman making advances to me through my email, I doubt I would have enough stupidity left to give out private info. (my acknowledging receipt of the initial spam goes beyond my imagination.)

I likewise do not save any personal data (notes, prayers,...) in anything stored in a cloud. I figure if my bank and government are unable to guard my privacy, no one is.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1948
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 10:48 AM

There was no breach of security. Your credit card info is safe.

There was a bug in the code in the forum software that used your email address in the RSS feed. It was hidden in the source code, so it's gone unnoticed until now. We've fixed it, but there's no way to retract the feeds once they've been fetched. So you may continue to get some SPAM on your forums email address.

We're very sorry for this inconvenience.

Page 2 of 5 (86 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS