A plug for Ramsay (community pricing)

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1680
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 4 2010 5:32 PM

Check out William Mitchell Ramsay Collection (16 vols.) in community pricing. Looks like $30 might buy the 16 volumes.

Ramsay seems to come up everywhere I read at present (probably because I'm studying Acts/Galatians.)

Examples:

• "... this assumption about the locale of Paul’s Galatian converts began to be challenged by W. M. Ramsay and others..."
    Ben Witherington III, Grace in Galatia : A Commentary on St. Paul's Letter to the Galatians (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1998), 5.
  • "William Ramsay is stunned by the accuracy that characterizes Luke’s habit of mind"
    Moisés Silva, Interpreting Galatians: Explorations in Exegetical Method, 2nd ed. (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2001), 127.
  • "...few of these have dealt adequately with Ramsay’s positive arguments."
    F. F. Bruce, The Epistle to the Galatians : A Commentary on the Greek Text (Grand Rapids, Mich.: W.B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 1982), 9.

Lots of other commentaries refer to him too, such as:

• WBC (Galatians, Tim, Rev),
  • Baker Exegetical CNT (1 Pt, Rev), 
  • NIGNT (Col, 1 Cor, Phil),
  • NAC (Acts, Timothy, Phil/Col),
  • Baker NTC (Rev), Metzger (Textual Commentary),
  • BBCC (Acts),
  • Holman NT (Acts),
  • BST (Acts),
  • Tyndale (Acts),
  • NIBC, HNTC, and others.

And Bible dictionaries:

• International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
  • New Bible Dictionary
  • Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church
  • Dictionary of NT Background
  • Eerdmans Bible Dictionary
  • Exegetical Dictionary of the NT
  • Vine's, Robertson's, and more (even BDAG.)

For background on Ramsay, click this to open your Who's Who in Church History.
Or, Robert J. Morgan, Evidence and Truth : Foundations for Christian Truth, Biblical essentials series (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books, 2003), 10:

• 'Several years ago the Scottish scholar Sir William Mitchell Ramsay determined that Luke had made one error after another in the details of his books. Ramsay set out to prove it, traveling throughout Turkey and the Middle East, studying the history, geography, and topography described in the Acts of the Apostles. In every point of dispute, Ramsay found himself on the losing side. Luke was correct, even in minute details. Ramsay later wrote that “no period in ancient history is so assured and well attested” as the times described by Luke.

So, it might be worth a bid?

Posts 19124
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 5:50 PM

Yes

I've been in from the beginning, for $80.

Ramsey's The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia gives great background on the churches and cities where the seven letters from Rev 2-3 were directed, which make the text of those letters come alive in a most vibrant way. I'll never read Rev 3:16 ("So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.") the same way again now that I know that Laodicea was known for its hot springs, and relied for its drinking water supply on an aqueduct fed by cold spring water.

Posts 10805
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 7:32 PM

Rosie Perera:
I've been in from the beginning

Absolutely! YesYesYes

Posts 332
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 8:02 PM

Allen Browne:

I'm in, you convinced me!

Posts 2731
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 8:37 PM

I'm In

[[Note to self: Stop reading the Logos forums - they are costing you way too much money - there are just too many good books that you do not have yet]]

[[Note to self: remove above note if you ever hit Power ball big (a lottery in the USA)]]

[[Note to self: research your Logos library to see if buying one ticket is still gambling]]

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 10:01 PM

I also would like to place a (desperate) plug for the William Ramsay Collection. I have been actively looking for these works in Logos... and pleading with the folks at Logos... since Logos first began as a wee little company. I have through the years collected almost all of these volumes in hard copy format... dating back to the original printings back in the late 1800s/early 1900s. I am a missionary returning to the field in the Spring and I am loathe to cart these volumes back overseas with me (they are large and heavy and fragile).

I was beside myself with joy when these works were added as a collection as a PRE-PUB... for nearly $300. Naturally I placed an order. I would have paid virtually any price (within reason). Then, I turned my gaze away from the Logos site for what seemed only a short time, and then they POOF! disappeared and morphed into a Community Pricing candidate. I have, of course, put in at the highest amount available (as I was more than willing to pay the higher Pre-Pub amount)... but I am in despair, as it seems to be making little progress. In my opinion, this is not a good candidate for community pricing, and I fear I will never see these works published in electronic format.

What people need to realize is that these works are cited so frequently because they are classics in their field... and virtually irreplaceable, even today, a century after their publication. These works are footnoted in virtually every respectable academic work dealing with the Book of Acts or ancient Asia Minor... and with very, very good reason. Ramsay's work has never been duplicated, and the information in these volumes is simply unavailable in any other source. Those content to read oblique references to these gold mines of information in a footnote may not appreciate their value, but if one wants to read the full references and explore the topics more in depth to which the footnotes refer, THERE IS NO OTHER SOURCE AVAILABLE that covers the material. The thought that these works might be lost almost brings me to tears. I use these titles constantly for teaching and preaching, and the ability to search these works... well,  I can't imagine the tremendous benefits that would produce.

So, anyone who reads this... PLEASE consider placing a bid... the price of $30 or $50 for this set is the most ridiculous bargain I've ever seen on Logos.

And to our dear friends at Logos... PLEASE find some way to make these titles available. Do a pre-pub at a (much) higher price if necessary (as previously). Break the collection up into individual volumes or smaller collections if you have to. But please don't abandon this set!

Emile

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 10:46 PM

I'm already in (a month and a half ago), even though I see Ramsay as a non-essential legacy commentator whose over-enthusiasm for Luke has been corrected by later scholarship. Still, he is historically significant.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2011 8:13 AM

Allen Browne:

Check out William Mitchell Ramsay Collection (16 vols.) in community pricing. Looks like $30 might buy the 16 volumes.

Ramsay seems to come up everywhere I read at present (probably because I'm studying Acts/Galatians.)

Examples:

• "... this assumption about the locale of Paul’s Galatian converts began to be challenged by W. M. Ramsay and others..."
    Ben Witherington III, Grace in Galatia : A Commentary on St. Paul's Letter to the Galatians (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1998), 5.
  • "William Ramsay is stunned by the accuracy that characterizes Luke’s habit of mind"
    Moisés Silva, Interpreting Galatians: Explorations in Exegetical Method, 2nd ed. (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2001), 127.
  • "...few of these have dealt adequately with Ramsay’s positive arguments."
    F. F. Bruce, The Epistle to the Galatians : A Commentary on the Greek Text (Grand Rapids, Mich.: W.B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 1982), 9.

Lots of other commentaries refer to him too, such as:

• WBC (Galatians, Tim, Rev),
  • Baker Exegetical CNT (1 Pt, Rev), 
  • NIGNT (Col, 1 Cor, Phil),
  • NAC (Acts, Timothy, Phil/Col),
  • Baker NTC (Rev), Metzger (Textual Commentary),
  • BBCC (Acts),
  • Holman NT (Acts),
  • BST (Acts),
  • Tyndale (Acts),
  • NIBC, HNTC, and others.

And Bible dictionaries:

• International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
  • New Bible Dictionary
  • Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church
  • Dictionary of NT Background
  • Eerdmans Bible Dictionary
  • Exegetical Dictionary of the NT
  • Vine's, Robertson's, and more (even BDAG.)

For background on Ramsay, click this to open your Who's Who in Church History.
Or, Robert J. Morgan, Evidence and Truth : Foundations for Christian Truth, Biblical essentials series (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books, 2003), 10:

• 'Several years ago the Scottish scholar Sir William Mitchell Ramsay determined that Luke had made one error after another in the details of his books. Ramsay set out to prove it, traveling throughout Turkey and the Middle East, studying the history, geography, and topography described in the Acts of the Apostles. In every point of dispute, Ramsay found himself on the losing side. Luke was correct, even in minute details. Ramsay later wrote that “no period in ancient history is so assured and well attested” as the times described by Luke.

Peace and Joy and a Blessed New Year, Allen!

*smile*

Thank you for your post re. Ramsay.  I'm in!           *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 10:50 AM

Can't believe this ships is just over a week from now. How do they do it?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2807
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 11:10 AM

Denise Barnhart:

Dancing down here in London. Bravo Logos Yes

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 12:17 PM

Ted Hans:

Denise Barnhart:

Dancing down here in London. Bravo Logos Yes

It's in Swahili.  If it had been in English, we'd have to wait a while.  Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2807
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 12:31 PM

George Somsel:
It's in Swahili.  If it had been in English, we'd have to wait a while.  Smile

Very funny George Big Smile

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 2:26 PM

Dancin' in Belarus, too, Ted! Thanks for helping to push this along! Now, what can we do to encourage Logos to add the missing volumes of his work? ;-)

Posts 2807
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 2:29 PM

EmileB:

Dancin' in Belarus, too, Ted! Thanks for helping to push this along! Now, what can we do to encourage Logos to add the missing volumes of his work? ;-)

Stay tuned, it's on the way that is the missing volumesWink

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 2:34 PM

EmileB:

I understand that some Indians in Venezuela came to the capital with some shamans from some distance to do a dance and ensure that Chavez recovered.  Care to try that?  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS