Huge update- limited broadband

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Dan H | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 9 2010 1:47 PM

First of all I love Logos 4, but please, please , you need to do something to help those of us with download limits. 

1. We need to see the size of the file before we click on "update" so we know what to expect

2. We need to be able to choose what books we want on our computer and also what we update.  We were able to do this in the old Logos.  There are many many books that your program puts on my computer that I could care less about, I don't want them cluttering up my computer and I don't want to update them (they waste my bandwidth)

3. Give us the ability to download several smaller portions of an update so we can take it in separate easy to digest chunks. I have an internet provider that limits my downloads daily so I need to do a little bit each day,

I'm sure there are others out there with the same problems that I have, please consider these changes.

Thank you brothers and sisters

Dan

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 1:56 PM

Dan H:
you need to do something to help those of us with download limits. 
This is a many times over FAQ; google around the forums a bit and you'll see this has been beat to death.  :-)

<EDIT> That wasn't very helpful I'll write a better response in a minute </EDIT>

Dan H:
We need to be able to choose what books we want on our computer and also what we update. 
By going to Tools > program settings

at the bottom of the list you'll see "Hidden files"  Open your library and drag the books you no longer want over there.  After restarting the program, they'll be gone and they won't update.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 1:58 PM

Dan H:
2. We need to be able to choose what books we want on our computer and also what we update.  We were able to do this in the old Logos.  There are many many books that your program puts on my computer that I could care less about, I don't want them cluttering up my computer and I don't want to update them (they waste my bandwidth)

You can "hide" books you own by dragging them to the Hidden Resources section of the Program Settings window (or right-click .  This removes them from your computer (upon restart of Logos) and they aren't updated.  The downsides are that you have install the resource before you can hide it, and you can only hide the resources one at a time.  Though it is tedious (I've hidden hundreds), it has allowed me to clean out stuff I don't use, yet they can be "unhidden" if you change you mind.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 2:06 PM

Dan,

This issue is raised a lot on the forums (see this thread as an example: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/24189.aspx ). In short, Logos has said that the design of their software doesn't allow granular updates in many (most?) cases. So when a software change (like this week's 4.2 release) requires corresponding changes to a lot of resources, that resource download has to be viewed by the resource manager as a single unit. (I phrase it like this because, to your point, Logos could break the downloads themselves up but not apply them until all of the pieces have been downloaded and put together as if they had been one large download).

A couple further comments / suggestions:

1) Logos has been doing *a lot* better job announcing updates to the software and to resources (e.g. - see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/26911.aspx for the 4.2 information). You can consider changing your "Automatically Update" setting to "No". Logos will inform you of the pending update but will not start downloading it until you let it. Don't let it until you've seen the appropriate announcement(s) on the forums.

2) If you have access to another computer with good internet connectivity, consider installing Logos there and doing updates on it and using one of the mechanisms on the wiki to move them to your current computer (http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers ). My understanding is that this could be fragile. The 4.2 release is a good example - you need the 46MB installer with the new software, and then you can apply the 1GB resource update.

Hope this helps some,

Donnie

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 2:09 PM

Dan H:
you need to do something to help those of us with download limits. 

Here are a few posts that will do far more to answer your post.  Anything I would type would only be a repetition of these posts.

The most helpful would be a few from the CEO Bob Pritchett

A quick google search (http://www.google.com/search?as_q=download%20cap%20site:community.logos.com) of the forums will show you many other posts on the same topic.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 2:09 PM

Good suggestions Donnie.

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 2:28 PM

Dan H:
3. Give us the ability to download several smaller portions of an update so we can take it in separate easy to digest chunks. I have an internet provider that limits my downloads daily so I need to do a little bit each day,

If you cancel the download in process (by right-clicking on the Logos Indexer tray icon and selecting "Cancel Download"), I believe it will pick up where it left off the next time Logos is started--i.e., it will restart at the beginning of the current file.  Since it tells you (via tooltip) how much it's going to download and what percent it's completed, you can probably guess when you need to stop it to keep it under the cap.  Of course this isn't perfect, but maybe it could help.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 2:33 PM

While Logos doesn't, and probably never will, let us control partial downloads (for reasons explained by them in the links provided by others above), there is quite a lot of support for a request that they at least put up a message saying how big the download will be so that people can choose whether to take it now or postpone it until their bandwidth quota is reset. You can vote and make your opinion count on the Logos UserVoice forum.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS