BUG: Newly applied highlighting takes up to 10-15 seconds to appear, 100% CPU

Page 1 of 4 (64 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 63 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 12 2010 2:45 AM | Locked

Applying new highlighting to a selected word or phrase (any highlighting, including using a user-defined palette) takes up to 10-15 seconds to actually appear (sometimes longer).  From the time that I press a shortcut key to apply said highlighting till it actually appears the CPUs (all 4 cores) pretty much max out.  Not sure what causes such CPU activity to add a small bit of highlighting, but it does make marking up while I read a touch difficult... :-)

Posts 10791
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 12 2010 4:35 AM | Locked

Stuart Robertson:
Applying new highlighting to a selected word or phrase (any highlighting, including using a user-defined palette) takes up to 10-15 seconds to actually appear (sometimes longer).

I cannot reproduce this bug. I tried this with 3-4 different resources and several different hi lighting styles from various palettes. In every case, the highlight appeared almost instantaneously.

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 12 2010 5:11 AM | Locked

The issue -- 10-15 seconds with CPU (all 4 cores) at 100% -- shows itself regardless of whether I use a user-defined visual style or a built-in one.  Enabling/disabling visual styles via the 3-circles button thing is quite fast.  It's just when I add new highlighting or erase some (using Cmd+Shift+K or the Erase button) that this issue occurs.

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 12 2010 5:13 AM | Locked

Anyone know how to turn on debug logging (or something of the sort) to generate a suitable log file?

Posts 10791
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 12 2010 9:55 AM | Locked

Stuart Robertson:
Anyone know how to turn on debug logging (or something of the sort) to generate a suitable log file?

See the first link in my signature for instructions. The second link will describe Logos Log Scribe which automates most of the operation.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 12 2010 12:24 PM | Locked

Stuart Robertson:

The issue -- 10-15 seconds with CPU (all 4 cores) at 100% -- shows itself regardless of whether I use a user-defined visual style or a built-in one.  Enabling/disabling visual styles via the 3-circles button thing is quite fast.  It's just when I add new highlighting or erase some (using Cmd+Shift+K or the Erase button) that this issue occurs.

Suspect screen shot(s) would be helpful - wonder about amount of highlighting plus visual filters ?  Also wonder how many verse(s) are being highlighted ?

In a bible resource without visual filters and highlighting, applying couple highlights to phrases is very fast - likewise selecting text and removing is fast.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 6:10 AM | Locked

I will try to record a screencast later this evening and upload it - the behaviour is consistent, both with user-defined and built-in visual styles.  No visual filters applied and very little highlighting applied.  When I apply a highlight it is usually to a single word, perhaps a 2-3 word phrase at a time.  Each application of a highlight takes 10-15 seconds to appear and maxs out the CPU.  Logos remains responsive during this time - I can even disable/re-enable the palette that contains the visual style that I've applied, etc before the newly applied highlighting actually appears on screen.  It's almost like the highlighting "requests" are being queued in some background thread that consumes a great deal of CPU before it actually applies the highlighting.

I will capture logs - do I need to enable anything specific to get "detailed tracing"?  -- and upload them as well.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 8:43 PM | Locked

Stuart Robertson:
do I need to enable anything specific to get "detailed tracing"?

Suspect not - screencast with logs should provide enough information to replicate delay issue.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 11:21 AM | Locked

Logs attached.  Video is too big to upload (I get "Error occurred uploading... blah blah").  How can I share the video with Logos?  Is there an FTP dropbox, etc. that I can use to upload the screencast?

0211.LogosLogs Stuart Robertson 20101214-074513.gz

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 11:22 AM | Locked

Screencast is 9.8MB (mp4)

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 1:22 PM | Locked

Users will sometimes post screencasts made with Jing. http://www.techsmith.com/jing/ That would be a good way to get it to us.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 4:30 PM | Locked

I've uploaded the screencast to YouTube (as an unlisted video)... URL is:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWhVwXzRBIs

I must be desperate for a fix given the amount of time this video process has taken... Smile  Here's hoping Logos can find the problem.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 4:46 PM | Locked

Does turning off sympathetic highlighting in the ESV that you're marking up make a difference?

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 6:07 AM | Locked

Sadly, no.  You got my really excited, though, for a moment there... Sad

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 1:01 PM | Locked

When the CPU is spinning while it's highlighting, can you sample the "Logos Bible Software 4" process in Activity Monitor?

Open Activity Monitor from Appliactions > Utilities.

Select Logos Bible Software 4 process

Switch to L4Mac and apply some highlighting.

Click "Sample Process" icon.

Save the results and upload them here.

You may want to do this 2 or 3 times and upload the saved samples just so we can get an idea of were some of the time is being spent.

Thanks,

Tom

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 5:23 AM | Locked

Samples are attached:  3808.Logos Samples - 15 Seconds to Highlight.zip

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 5:26 AM | Locked

Dare I say that I am stunned at the number of threads running within Logos...  in a previous company where I worked the statement was made "starting a new thread requires executive-level approval"...  Synchronizing such a large collection of threads and background tasks is quite a challenge and can lead to many undesirable performance characteristics and strange runtime issues.  Just my 2c worth (as a Java programmer with 15 years of experience ... from assembly, C, C++, C#, Java, etc).

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 5:37 AM | Locked

The tone of my last post doesn't read so well...  I'm not stunned in a condescending sense but rather, reading through the stack traces, stunned at the size and complexity of Logos for Mac internally - the surface is easy to use but belies the internal complexity and scale.  So, please don't take my last comment badly.  I use Logos for Mac daily and am grateful for all that the Logos devs have done to bring us this far.  Thanks also for chasing down this "15 seconds to highlight" issue.

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 11:43 AM | Locked

So, are the custom highlighting styles you've created attached to some visual filters as well?

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 11:52 AM | Locked

I do have some highlighting styles that I've created (to represent parts of speech in different colors, etc) that I use with visual filters (mostly morph-based visual filters).  Having said that, though, none of the highlighting styles that I apply by hand (that is, select some text and apply a highlight by selecting it from the palette or pressing a shortcut key) are used by visual filters.   That is, [Visual filters] <---- [Highlight styles from user-defined palette A],   [Manual highlighting] <---- [Highlight styles from user-defined palette B], etc.

Have the logs and activity monitor samples been of any use?

Page 1 of 4 (64 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS