After preaching on Sunday, anyone have the Monday "blues?"

Page 3 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2010 2:36 PM

Nicky,what a thoughtful post. Since I started this post I'd like to thank all of you who have been willing to be vulnerable and share your own struggles--as well as provide valuable suggestions for overcoming the Monday "blues."  And I look forward to hearing from others on this post. Blessings to all, Steven

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2010 2:44 PM

DominicM:
Am glad there are those . . . encouraging us on, thank you

You're welcome.

Thank the Lord, too.

Wink

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2010 6:35 PM

I'm back in the study on Monday and it's actually one of my favorite days of the week. It's me, the Lord, the Word and a cup of coffee. Life is good.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2010 7:29 PM

nicky crane:
Pastors, if you feel guilty about having the blues, the adversary will be rubbing his claws together in glee - don't give him that satisfaction!
Thanks for writing that Nicky.  

I've weathered another Monday, tackled five miles on today's run and conquered both.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2010 8:11 PM

Brad Fry:
I'm back in the study on Monday and it's actually one of my favorite days of the week. It's me, the Lord, the Word and a cup of coffee. Life is good.

When Monday goes like that, mine too.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 222
Bob Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2010 8:21 PM

I experience the Monday Preacher's Blues as well.  Honestly, downright depressed sometimes on Monday mornings. 
Some have called it the "Jeremiah Syndrome"  Basically experiencing being mentally, spiritually, & physically drained.

Personally, I never take Mondays off, as I don't want to give my family my "worst day".  Just my opinion.

I have found something lately that has helped me a bit.  I now have it scheduled every Monday morning from 8 AM - 10 AM.  Its on the church calendar as "Restoration Time".  I just go to a local coffee shop and read a book that is not related to anything I'm studying about for preaching or teaching.  I don't check emails, I don't Facebook, nor do I study or do any work at all.  Simply put, I have 2 hours dedicated to just refilling my soul with some wisdom and inspiration.  

I do some praying in that time... I use APTAT (Admit, Pray, Trust, Act, Thanks... for those unfamiliar with Piper's book on preaching) for not only the morning before I'm about to preach... but also for the morning after I preach too.  I have found this great reminder to help in my refreshing time as it guides me to focus on God for my restoration.

I also have this verse pop up on my calendar every Monday morning around 8 AM to remind me of where my focus should be:

"He restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake."
   - Psalm 23.3 

I hope this helps.  I'm interested in how others cope with this as well. 
God bless! 

River of Life Church: http://LifeOverflowing.org

Visit my blog: http://LifeOverflowing.org/pastor

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 4:40 AM

Dan DeVilder:

When Monday goes like that, mine too.

I don't mean to imply that I don't get the pulpit blues. I do. When I have them they are usually heaviest on Sunday night. But Monday morning is a refreshing turn even then. I think it's kind of like what they say about all Major League baseball teams in April--hope springs eternal. I guess I feel like I've got another opportunity  to redeem myself. Whether I feel like I did my best and connected with the church or something was off, Lord willing Monday morning shows up and I have hope that this week and this Sunday will be better.

I also need to remember that the power is in the Word. We've probably all had the experience of being very displeased with a sermon only to have someone tell us how much they were blessed by what was said. This is no excuse for poor preparation. But God can and does bless even when I'm not at my best.

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 5:38 AM

Here's something else to throw into the mix.  Monday is often "fall out" day; the day when you get the complaints from Sunday---when you are yourself at low tide.  I thought we had a great Sunday but yesterday, Monday, I received an email from an elder telling me the music was a train wreck and I needed to do something about it.  Sigh. (It isn't that we have paid staff person doing this ministry.)  It is these little things that make me yearn for sitting in a rocking chair and staring at the mountains for the next 5 years.  I am sad to admit that receiving that email derailed my day.

I know this is a forum about Logos---so---let me add that being depressed makes me want to buy more books!  (Maybe it would be interesting study for Logos: what day of the week do you sell the most books?)

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:10 AM

Thought I'd throw a little different slant on things. I am in full time MUSIC ministry on the road. I struggle regularly with discouragement , mainly because people tend to look at music for it's entertainment value only. IOW, "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" for most people! Sad.

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:20 AM

Garrett Mercury:

I know this is a forum about Logos---so---let me add that being depressed makes me want to buy more books!  (Maybe it would be interesting study for Logos: what day of the week do you sell the most books?)

Garrett, this gave me a chuckle this morning--as I have been adding books to my shopping cart today. I don't always buy, I do think you've made a good observation. . . maybe Logos should start running Monday specials

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 7:41 AM

This problem has been around for a while. Elijah would understand. Note how 1 Kings 19 follows on from 1 Kings 18.

However, it may be in that weakness that we truly meet God in the still, small voice.

Posts 55
Dave Souers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 10:46 AM

As others have said, this is a topic that is often swept under the rug and needs to be brought out more often. Personally, I don't take Monday's off because I feel like if I get right back into it, it will keep me focused. The other thing that I do is I make sure have some time on Monday's set aside to meet with people who encourage my spirit. Although I am the senior pastor, I still work with the youth at our church. I meet with my youth leadership team every Monday, and they always seem to turn a bad day into a great day. Find the things or people in your ministry that regularly excite you and spend time with them. 

I would also strongly recommend a book by Wayne Corderio called "Leading on Empty". This is a very powerful resource for those in ministry. 

Thanks for the conversation

Dave

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 1:40 PM

I am with those for whom Saturday is the weekly day to fight the blues.  There have been Saturdays when I just do not want to get out of bed, even though the sermon has most of it's structure and ideas already put in, I dread the thought of finishing it up and actually delivering it.  I think it is a feeling of inadequacy combined with one of genuine fear of public speaking.  For me sermons are never ready, I just eventually run out of time.  Anxiety reigns on Saturday.  This after 26 years in the ministry, and 19 in this pulpit.  

On Sunday after the second worship service I'm elated to have almost a full week until I have to do it again and physically and emotionally exhausted so a nap is almost always in order.  Sunday evenings are some of the best family time we have, we make homemade pizza every Sunday.  I have four kids and each one of us makes an individual pie, custom built with favorite ingredients.  This we have done since they had to stand on a chair to reach the counter.  Sunday evenings are a great joy for me.  Then when Monday morning rolls around it seems so far from Sunday, that I actually enjoy working and trying to pick the next sermon text knowing that delivery of said sermon is far, far away.  

Give me your Mondays and you can have my Saturdays!  

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Posts 314
Steven L. Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:50 AM

As the originator of this post, I want to thank all of you for your input and suggestions on dealing with the Monday "blues."  I'm glad I'm not alone in this.  I don't know who said this, but I think it is true:

"Preaching that costs nothing, accomplishes nothing." 

One friend reminded me of the incident in which  the woman with the issue of blood was healed of her affliction--when Jesus asked, "Who touched me?"  He said, "Someone touched me, for I perceive that power (dunamis) has gone out of me [Lk. 8:46].  Maybe that illustrates the "cost" of preaching and ministry. I praise God for all my brother and sister preachers who are willing to pour out their lives and their hearts to bring people the word of God.  Blessings to you all--Steven

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 11:36 AM

One more parting giggle:

Every year I've made it my habit (as possible) to attend the Moody Bible Institute Pastor's Conference.  

For a number of years the T-shirts handed out there simply said, "Moody Pastors Conference"  or simply "Moody Pastors"

I like to wear my tshirts on Monday.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 92
Christopher Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2010 9:39 PM

U

Posts 6479
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2010 9:42 PM

Blair Laird:

Indifferent just don't try to count the blinks Huh?...

THANK YOU!  I thought I was seeing things...LOL

Posts 21
Dan Lybarger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 6:27 PM

Hi Stephen,

I Have been pastoring congregations for 41 years. I am currently serving a 3 church parish mad eup of two dominant culture churches and a Native American congregation. I lead worship and preach at 9:30 AM, 11:00 AM and 1:15 PM on Sundays in order to make rounds to all three churches. To counter the Monday blues I take Monday as my day off and plan something my wife and I enjoy together. Other times I will pursue one of my hobbies such as fly fishing or woodcarving. I ofund that this helps energize me for the week, all of which are very very busy. I am the only staff person in the three congregations other than musicians and two choir directors. I started taking Mondays as the day off and found this works better for me than later in the week. Each individula has to find what works best for him or her.

Take care

Dan

Posts 5
Lisa Teague | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 5:00 AM

When people say great job or thank you for that message I simply respond it was nothing but God. If you remember that one of the characteristics of being humble is to be modest then it will be easier to respond, you could also say all the glory to God, as long as your giving all credit to God then there is no wrong answer.

Posts 5
Lisa Teague | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 5:04 AM

I noticed that after about an hour of giving a sermon that I get horrible migraines, one of my co-ministers said I picked up on someone's spirit, any thoughts?

Page 3 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS