After preaching on Sunday, anyone have the Monday "blues?"

Page 4 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 68 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 6487
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 5:16 AM

Lisa Teague:

I noticed that after about an hour of giving a sermon that I get horrible migraines, one of my co-ministers said I picked up on someone's spirit, any thoughts?

No thoughts, sorry. One of the forum rules is to avoid theological discussions and your post will definitely lead to that. But don't believe you "co-minister" go to the doctor, you may have some kind  condition or developing one.

DAL

Posts 10231
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 8:05 AM

2010 thread.

DAL, my spouse noticed the same problem. Some people at church cause headaches. I thought, oh sure.  So, we started measuring people by headache creation (not sharing our data). Then we compared our data after several weeks. Matched.  We decided 'negative aura's and seemingly purposeful.  Kind of like in the NT, demons.

Try it.

Posts 131
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 8:11 AM

"This we have done since they had to stand on a chair to reach the counter."

That line almost brought a tear to my eye... I suppose its because I have 3 kids who are growing up so fast. I became a youth pastor almost 2 years ago and before I worked 12 hour swing shifts. I thought I'd have more time with my family than I did at a plant job but after 2 years I feel like my young family is growing up without me.

Posts 5
Lisa Teague | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 8:20 AM

Yeah, its only certain people, Sunday I called one of the disciples to the front to show a demonstration of burdens, I could feel that what I was saying was convicting her and she was crying a little, then I had the migraine start to creep on and turned to a full blown one after service was over

Posts 6487
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 8:28 AM

Denise:

2010 thread.

DAL, my spouse noticed the same problem. Some people at church cause headaches. I thought, oh sure.  So, we started measuring people by headache creation (not sharing our data). Then we compared our data after several weeks. Matched.  We decided 'negative aura's and seemingly purposeful.  Kind of like in the NT, demons.

Try it.

Ok, show me a Bible example and Scripture that says you get headaches for preaching God's word and that it's due to other people's "aura" or "negative vibe." As far as I know, the Bible does not record such things. First century Christians who preached didn't say they experienced it, Jesus didn't say it would happen either. Trust me, I used to be a pentecostal and I've been in the same room with people who "were demon possessed" (or so they claimed) and I didn't even get a goosebump. I got more goosebumps watching the movie "The exorcist" so no, no headaches. Check for mold in you building or maybe turn down the music a bit, since that can cause headaches too (I know pentecostals love to get loud and shake too much during what they call worship or even the "hour of prayer"). So "kind of like" NT demons doesn't cut it...or it's demons or it's not, but it can't be "kind of like." Which I assure you 100% is not demons ;) unless you really want to believe that, then you can trick yourself into feeling that you're levitating for that matter :)

DAL

Ps. Yes 2010 thread, I guess the migraines are back, conveniently striking only a few who conveniently are the ones "preaching" and so automatically qualify to tell the story so people will buy it :) If I didn't know any better, I'd probably believe you ;)

Posts 5
Lisa Teague | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 8:56 AM

I didn't say it was demons or that there was scripture to say so but did not Jesus suffer ridicule and persecution for preaching, healing, and prophecy, so why would we as imperfect people not suffer for spreading Gods word, the devil is prowling around as a roaring lion as it says in 1Peter, he attacks everyone including clergy

Posts 10231
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 9:08 AM

Lisa ... I have to take the demon-ic blame here. But I would argue that people intuitively can feel something really off-balance, and react to it. 

DAL ... first, the 1st century world was a demon-based world (hellenism/eastern). So, when you read the gospels, the writers are simply confirming the problem. And if you didn't know the name of the demon, he was pretty much out of control.  That's why 'calling on the name' was so critical. Amulets were sometimes helpful to ward them off.

But you are correct ... scholars have not identified a single headache in the NT. Only the OT.

Posts 6487
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 9:12 AM

Lisa Teague:

I didn't say it was demons or that there was scripture to say so but did not Jesus suffer ridicule and persecution for preaching, healing, and prophecy, so why would we as imperfect people not suffer for spreading Gods word, the devil is prowling around as a roaring lion as it says in 1Peter, he attacks everyone including clergy

Dear Lisa, I was replying to Denise not to you. But tell me, you see a headache in the same category as persecution? A lot of people who aren't even believers have them, what do you make of that? My advice, go to the doctor that's why we have them. You probably stress too much with public speaking and that stress is causing your headaches. But then again, you can believe what you want a headache is not persecution :) or...Maybe is a sign of weakness and you shouldn't be "preaching" because it drains you too much ;)

Posts 5
Lisa Teague | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2016 9:34 AM

I never get headaches. I don't get them when I act in plays, when I sing in the choir/praise team, when I teach Sunday school, point is I'm not nervous about being or speaking in front of a large crowd, how could I be nervous when I allow the Holy Spirit to guide the sermon. Anyhow, I don't feel tired or drained either, I don't have medical issues, and I didn't say it was persecution, I used that for an example. I'm just saying that maybe the enemy is trying to attack me and use the headaches to turn me away from ministering, but ordained or not, nothing will keep me from sharing about how good God is

Page 4 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS