Christmas 2010 Master Collection (2,010 vols.) A GREAT Bargain!

Page 1 of 7 (126 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 125 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 847
Forum MVP
Praiser | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 22 2010 11:14 AM

I am attaching an Excel file that shows how the Master Collection 2010 stacked up against my Portfolio Library that had many add-ons. The file has only the 2,010 books that make up the Christmas 2010 Master Collection.  Books that were in my library were highlighted yellow. Those that I did not have and were only included in  the Master Collection (not the 1,000 book collection) were highlighted in Pink.  This is basically what I used to determine that the Master Collection (even with nearly 700 duplicating titles in my current library) was more than worth the asking price. Especially since many of the collections that were on my "purchase eventually list" were complete in the Christmas 2010 Master Collection. 

Hopefully my efforts will help some of you sort things out and save lots of you some time. Time

7484.Logos Master Collection 2010.xlsx

Below is sort of a summary of what I have discovered and it was enough for me to determine that the Master Collection is a Great Bargain for me (and I have Portfolio). If you have any of the other base packages, there would be even fewer duplicates for you.

All of the following collections are COMPLETE  in the Christmas 2010 Master Collection (2,010 vols.) :
The prices listed are the current prices listed on the collections ... many are on sale at this time.

Douglas Wilson Collection (17 vols.) $  233.30
Walk! Messianic Jewish Devotional Commentary Collection (5 vols.) 32.48
The Anabaptists (2 vols.) 29.99
Hebrew History (3 vols.) 42.50
Summa Theologica: English and Latin Bundle (30 vols.) 174.98
Christian Life Collection (14 vols.) 99.95
Black's New Testament Commentary (BNTC) (13 vols.) 299.95
Theology and Doctrine Collection (16 vols.) 209.95
Old Testament Studies Series Collection (8 vols.) 189.95
Origins of Ancient Israelite Religion Collection (8 vols.) 169.95
Sheffield/T & T Clark Bible Guides Collection (44 vols.) 849.95
Deuteronomistic History Collection (5 vols.) 299.95
Studies on Deuteronomy (3 vols.) 129.98
Early Church History Collection (7 vols.) 115.99
Studies in Jesus and the Gospels (23 vols.) 349.95
Second Temple Period Collection (19 vols.) 799.95
Library of NT Studies: JSNTS on Paul (17 vols.) 899.95
Library of NT Studies: JSNTS on the Gospels and Acts (16 vols.) 599.95

The following collections are just some of the offerings that are almost complete in the Christmas 2010 Master Collection (2,010 vols.) :

Eerdmans Bible Reference Collection (5 vols.)   --  3 Volumes are included
B&H Marriage and Family Collection (19 vols.)  --  15 Volumes are included
Socio-Rhetorical Commentary Series (SRC) (8 vols.)   --  4 Volumes are included
SNTW Collection (7 vols.)   --  5 Volumes are included
Judaism and Christianity Collection (7 vols.)  --  5 Volumes are included
Messianic Jewish Publishers Collection (22 vols.) --   21 Volumes are included
Biblical Counseling Collection (30 vols.)  --  25 Volumes are included

That's it, I'm done. I placed my order yesterday.  Although I may work on the collections within the Excel file somemore in preparation of creating Collections when the resources download.  If I do, I will post the new file as an add-on posting later.

I have to say the posting at  http://community.logos.com/forums/p/27574/203975.aspx#203975 has a nice conversation going on in it.

Here is a thought to consider. So if you only got 1,340 resources from the collection at $2,010. that would be $1.50 per resource. Now if you think of those resources you really value (you know the ones on your "list") that are included in the Collection, what would they cost you any other time of the year?

Thank you Logos for such a tremendous offering!GiftBig Smile

Have a wonderful CHRISTmas everyone!

Posts 398
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 12:00 PM

Thanks for you job, Praiser.  However I could not find a book from this collection Early Church History Collection (7 vols.) http://www.logos.com/product/3670/early-church-history-collection among the Christmas offers.

Try http://www.logos.com/products/search?Specials=Featured&q=donald+coggan

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 7687
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 12:16 PM

Timothy Ha:

Thanks for you job, Praiser.  However I could not find a book from this collection Early Church History Collection (7 vols.) http://www.logos.com/product/3670/early-church-history-collection among the Christmas offers.

Try http://www.logos.com/products/search?Specials=Featured&q=donald+coggan

This one: http://www.logos.com/product/7289/meet-paul-an-encounter-with-the-apostle?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Mini late 2010 8GB RAM 10.6.8

Posts 398
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 12:38 PM

Yes, thanks.  But why it is not found by author as other titles?

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 398
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 12:46 PM

Very interesting.  Each title from the 7-book collection can be found with discounts, and together they cost less than USD 115 price of the whole set.  Thanks again, Praiser, for the job you've done in finding collections.

Meet Paul: An Encounter with the Apostle $6.48
A New Eusebius: Documents Illustrating the History of the Church to AD 337, 2nd ed. $14.98
Creeds, Councils and Controversies: Documents Illustrating the History of the Church, AD 337–461, New Edition $16.98
Worship in the Early Church $6.50
A Short History of the Early Church $8.00
The Religious Context of Early Christianity: A Guide to Graeco-Roman Religions $17.00
New Testament Times $15.00
Subtotal     $84.94

Posts 6568
Forum MVP
Super.Tramp | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 12:55 PM

THANK YOU, Praiser! You beat me to it. Now I can quit. (I've been working for about 14 hours on it and still had a ways to go.)

Praiser:
The following collections are just some of the offerings that are almost complete in the Christmas 2010 Master Collection (2,010 vols.) :

I just want to point out a few of the "almost complete"  collections can be completed at a savings. Some of the missing volumes are included in the 50% off sale! And, if you are wanting the whole Louis Berkhof Collection, just pick up the single missing volume, "Systematic Theology" for the 12 Days sale price of $21.95.

Posts 847
Forum MVP
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 1:38 PM

Matthew C Jones:
You beat me to it. Now I can quit. (I've been working for about 14 hours on it and still had a ways to go.)

I won't say how long I had been working on it (not sure I really want to think about the time involvedTongue Tied)....I just wanted to save others some time. Especially those who seemed overwhelmed and didn't have the time to spend sorting it out. I just figured that what I had already done would help some out...if they want to go further, they at least have a good start.Big Smile

Posts 100
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 2:04 PM

Could someone please confirm for me if the books in the 50% off Specials are the same as those that are offered in the Christmas Collections? I apologize if the answer is obvious but I have been somewhat busy (I'll blame the season and our apparent psychological requirement that everything has to be done before Christmas no matter what part of life it relates to) and have not had time for a detailed look as yet.

Thank you

Sue

Posts 100
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 2:11 PM

Thanks Praiser for all your hard work. Very impressive comparison. Smile Not that I can afford the collection but it will be very helpful to those who may be considering it.

Posts 100
Sue McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 2:30 PM

Sue McIntyre:

Thanks Praiser for all your hard work. Very impressive comparison. Smile Not that I can afford the collection

(Neither do I have Portfolio that it was compared against) but I will be very happy to pick up a couple of books in the 50% off specials. I'm looking forward to having some time to browse.

Peace and joy to all

Sue

Posts 519
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 2:36 PM

Praiser, thanks for this great resource. Do you get a discount on the Master Collection price due to books already in Portfolio?

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | 2 x GTX 560 Ti 2GB (SLI) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | Benq FP222wa 22"

Posts 847
Forum MVP
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 2:44 PM

Sue McIntyre:

Could someone please confirm for me if the books in the 50% off Specials are the same as those that are offered in the Christmas Collections?

If you go to http://www.logos.com/products/search?Specials=Featured you can build your own collection of those books shown. They are the Individual Christmas Specials that are 50% off and are the ones included in the Christmas bundles.

If you want to see only the ones Logos shows that you do not own use http://www.logos.com/products/search?Specials=Featured&unlocked=no  (there is a problem with this though...some of the books you may already own  so you will want to check your library before actually purchasing.

If you want to see the ones that Logos shows you already own use http://www.logos.com/products/search?Specials=Featured&unlocked=yes

Posts 847
Forum MVP
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 2:48 PM

Jonathan Burke:

Praiser, thanks for this great resource. Do you get a discount on the Master Collection price due to books already in Portfolio?

No discounts per the Dec 14th blog posting. Before reading it, I asked my sales representative and the answer was no. But even with there being no discount it made economic sense for me to make the purchase.

I already own some of the content in these collections. Can I get an additional discount?
We’ve priced the collections knowing that many of you will own some of the content included in these collections. Even if you own half of the 2,010-volume collection, it’s still an amazing deal. If you’re not convinced, you’re welcome to build your own collection and take 50% off your entire order!

Posts 3156
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 2:55 PM

Jonathan Burke:

Jonathan, they have said "no" to that.  Their assumption is that we will already own volumes, and no further discounts will be offered.  So for Portfolio people like you and me . . . we'll pay the same price regardless.  I like the sheffield and tt stuff.  Just no coin.

HP Pavilion dv 7z 1000   AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz  3.00 GB RAM 64-bit Win 7

Posts 847
Forum MVP
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 2:59 PM

Jonathan Burke:

No discounts on the Christmas Collections...even if you have 30% of the books included...I asked my sales representative too.

You can read the Dec 14th blog:

FAQs

Several questions have come up, so I thought I’d address them here. Feel free to ask any other questions you have in the comments.

1. Is there a way I can see what I already own?
    Yes. All 2,010 titles in the master collection are also available for sale in our new Christmas Specials list. You can either filter out the titles you already own to see what’s left, or filter out the titles you don’t own to see what you have. This should help you evaluate how much of the content (if any) you already own and find the collection(s) that are best for you.
  2. I already own some of the content in these collections. Can I get an additional discount?
    We’ve priced the collections knowing that many of you will own some of the content included in these collections. Even if you own half of the 2,010-volume collection, it’s still an amazing deal. If you’re not convinced, you’re welcome to
    build your own collection and take 50% off your entire order!
  3. My 2010 book budget is spent? Can I put this on my 2011 budget?
    Yes. We intentionally extended the sale through midnight January 2 to allow you to take advantage of your 2011 book funds.
  4. Can I buy one or more of the collections using a payment plan?
    Absolutely. You can take up to 12 months to pay for your purchase. If you’re going to use a payment plan, you’ll need to wait until they come off Pre-Pub.
  5. The collections are currently on Pre-Pub. Why? And when will they ship?
    We’re putting the finishing touches on them, and we didn’t want to make you wait any longer to see what we’ve been working on for you. The collections are almost ready to go and could ship as soon as this Friday.
  6. When the collections ship, will the price go up?
    No. The price will not change after they ship and will stay the same through January 2, 2011.
  7. How long will all the sales last?
    The prices are good through midnight on January 2, 2011.
  8. How do I save 50% off the individual titles and build my own collection?
    We’ve gone ahead and changed all the sale prices for all the titles, so you can simply add them to your cart and check out. You don’t need to use a coupon code.
  9. Do you have a comparison chart of what’s in each collection?
    We’re looking into making an excel spreadsheet available that you can download and peruse. Check back later.

Even with having so many of the resources, there were key collections that were on my "list to purchase" that make economic sense for me to grab the Master Collection. I am getting alot of resources that I didn't have to have, but could be very useful.   Sort of like when I upgraded to Portfolio when it first came out. There were enough of the resources on my "list" that I actually saved money over buying them individually and I received lots of additional resources that I wasn't that familiar with, but turned out to be hidden treasures that I wouldn't have known about outside the upgrade.

Posts 1011
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 3:09 PM

One caveat with Blacks: the master collection seems to be missing the volume on Revelation......

Posts 847
Forum MVP
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 3:17 PM

David J. Wilson:

One caveat with Blacks: the master collection seems to be missing the volume on Revelation......

It is included on the Master Collection List, but it doesn't have the Black's Commentary in it's title. It is "The Revelation of Saint John" in the list and is not with the other Black's commentaries.  I had trouble locating it myself.

http://www.logos.com/product/7521/the-revelation-of-saint-john

All the collections that I am showing in my original post can be sorted in the excel file by the "collection title" column...it will make it a bit easier to see all the books that are included in that particular collection and easy to verify if all the books are included.

Posts 17
Rebecca RG | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 3:28 PM

Thanks, Praiser, for all the work that went into this ability to sort.  It makes it possible to see not only which volumes in which collections are included in the Master Collection, but also to figure out which volumes are missing.

Posts 1011
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 4:52 PM

Praiser:

It is included on the Master Collection List, but it doesn't have the Black's Commentary in it's title. It is "The Revelation of Saint John" in the list and is not with the other Black's commentaries.  I had trouble locating it myself.

http://www.logos.com/product/7521/the-revelation-of-saint-john

Many thanks for pointing that out, would have missed it for sure...  Embarrassed

Posts 847
Forum MVP
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 7:28 PM

Rebecca RG:

Thanks, Praiser, for all the work that went into this ability to sort.  It makes it possible to see not only which volumes in which collections are included in the Master Collection, but also to figure out which volumes are missing.

My pleasure to share, I couldn't see not sharing it. Hopefully it will save others a lot of time.  

Just wanted to mention if I hadn't before that all the resources do not have their collections listed, mostly just the ones listed in the original post are documented within the file. There are lots of other collections that are represented in the list that I didn't take time to document. I was sold on the package before I even got to the point I stopped at, but continued on in preparation for creating the collections in L4 when they download.

Page 1 of 7 (126 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS