Qumran Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database

Page 4 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 93 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:06 PM

Thank you Logos for releasing this today.  I just downloaded it too and am waiting for indexing to complete. The database is made up of many individual resources - about 160 or so.

Edit:  I can't count today - my dual cores need maintenance, LOL

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:13 PM

I am not sure how to use it correctly. If I open WHM on Genesis 45 and click on parallel resource sets I get all the Qumran scrolls that contain any part of Genesis not only those that include Gen 45. Must I use Tov's index for this resource? How else can I know which scroll has a parallel version?\

BTW: Downloaded and indexed on L4  Downloaded on L3 \

EDIT: OK It works like this: You have a resource called "Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls: Bible Reference Index" You scroll to the verse you are looking for and the witnesses are listed under it as KeyLinks.

There is some sort of a font corruption in the Greek resources such as the  "Greek Minor Prophets from Nahal Hever" and the "Septuagint Leviticus A". The text contains many instances of a character that looks like a square box containing a question mark.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:26 PM

David Knoll:

I am not sure how to use it correctly. If I open WHM on Genesis 45 and click on parallel resource sets I get all the Qumran scrolls that contain any part of Genesis not only those that include Gen 45. Must I use Tov's index for this resource? How else can I know which scroll has a parallel version?\

BTW: Downloaded and indexed on L4  Downloaded on L3 \

EDIT: OK It works like this: You have a resource called "Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls: Bible Reference Index" You scroll to the verse you are looking for and the witnesses are listed under it as KeyLinks.

Peace, David!

Appreciate your edit.  Would have taken me a bit of time to discover it on my own.

Wow!  This download has really, really added to the number of my resources.  Am not quite sure how to react to that since -- in one respect -- I regard this as ONE resource.

However!            Am a Happy Camper!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:36 PM

Milford ... the Qumranians were known to have the 'Gold' level of fragments.

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:38 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
Am not quite sure how to react to that since -- in one respect -- I regard this as ONE resource.

I think it gives a more precise picture of the DSS Biblical scrolls. Each was copied in a different time by a different scribe and some were found in separate caves and even separate geographic locations.

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:42 PM

David Knoll:
There is some sort of a font corruption in the Greek resources such as the  "Greek Minor Prophets from Nahal Hever" and the "Septuagint Leviticus A". The text contains many instances of a character that looks like a square box containing a question mark.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I have this problem also.  The font I am using are shown below, followed by a screenshot of the Gk text of DSS Lev A.

What fonts should I be using to view original languages?

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:51 PM

David L Bailey:

Hmm, I'm not sure if I have this problem also.  The font I am using are shown below, followed by a screenshot of the Gk text of DSS Lev A.

What fonts should I be using to view original languages?

Gentium does solve the problem. The character is the circle that indicates an uncertain letter. I use SBL Greek for Greek and Estrangelo Edessa for Syriac. 

So this resource does not work with SBL Greek?

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:58 PM

David Knoll:

I haven't found this yet.  Could you specify where it is located?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 4:01 PM

David Knoll:

Gentium does solve the problem. The character is the circle that indicates an uncertain letter. I use SBL Greek for Greek and Estrangelo Edessa for Syriac. 

So this resource does not work with SBL Greek?

I don't use SBL Greek.  I use KadmosU and haven't found the problem yet.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 4:09 PM

I'm glad that you can use both the biblical references (Isaiah 1:11), and the scroll reference (1QIsaa Col. i:11). The index is great, too. And I'm very glad as well that most (all?) of the old problems with referencing the DSS seem to have gone. Terrific!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 4:16 PM

And they are keyed into sympathetic highlighting!

Very helpful!

*smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 5:20 PM

This won't happen very often again, since I doubt I'll download that many individual resources again (except for updates).  Just press "F5" to refresh the Home page and it will go back to normal.

Edit:  Yes, it is Christmas again - thanks to the Lord and Logos! Smile

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 5:21 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

And they are keyed into sympathetic highlighting!

Very helpful!

You're right! That's incredibly helpful to draw your attention to where a DSS differs from or lacks something in the BHS.

The more I look at this resource the more excited I get. I won't use it all that often but now I can trace down all of those DSS references I see in books.

Of course this will probably serve as a gateway resource to the Sectarian documents Smile

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:20 PM

Using the Text Comparison tool, this is what I see when comparing the DSS texts in Isaiah 1.1-9

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2011 1:10 AM

Kevin Becker:

You're right! That's incredibly helpful to draw your attention to where a DSS differs from or lacks something in the BHS.

That's going to be very useful!

Posts 12
Dr. Paul J. Nel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2011 3:04 AM

HalleluYah!

HalleluYah!

HalleluYah!

Thank you Logos for shipping. However, now I seem to be stuck. I've got L3 so ran the attached script Logos sent me. It updated, I watched it running through all the manuscripts. But now i can't seem to find them on my library.

Can somebody please help?

Thanks you guys.

Shalom

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2011 3:20 AM

Some things to try.

• Look in Libronix's resource folder. Can you see the DSS database files there. Look for filenames like 4Q58ISAIAHD.lbxlls
  • Open up Tools>Library Management>Account Summary does it list the DSS Database (I primarily use Logos 4, I'll downloading for L3 now I can update when it finishes EDIT: Once it populates hit ctrl+F and search for Qumran Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls Database and you should find it in the unlocks section)
  • Have you tried restarting Libronix, your computer?
  • Have you tried running the script again?

If after you've tried all of this you still have no success you might need to contact tech support

Posts 12
Dr. Paul J. Nel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2011 4:37 AM

Hi Kevin and thanks for the reply,

I did everything you said. The downloaded resources are in the resources folder, but I still can't view it. I'm now busy downloading L4 and then I'll try it there.

BTW, can I install this on both my laptop and desktop?

Shalom

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2011 4:46 AM

Dr. Paul J. Nel:

Hi Kevin and thanks for the reply,

I did everything you said. The downloaded resources are in the resources folder, but I still can't view it. I'm now busy downloading L4 and then I'll try it there.

BTW, can I install this on both my laptop and desktop?

Shalom

Your issue sounds like a license issue which, unfortunately can only be dealt with by Logos' Customer Service. I suggest calling them (you can contact them inexpensively through Skype if you're not in the US)

The license is per-user and not per machine. You can install Logos and your resources on as many computers as you like as long as you are the user.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 8 2011 6:14 AM

Dr. Paul J. Nel:

Thank you Logos for shipping. However, now I seem to be stuck. I've got L3 so ran the attached script Logos sent me. It updated, I watched it running through all the manuscripts. But now i can't seem to find them on my library.

If you enter "biblical dead" you should see "Biblical Dead Sea Scrolls: Bible Reference Index."  You can use that to find any mss related to any passage represented there.

george
gfsomsel

Page 4 of 5 (94 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS